or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion - Page 212

post #3166 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letric View Post
 

^ I use Bick 4 on my 1907's regularly. Minimizes the appearance of scratches / scuffs very well, and doesn't darken the leather at all. Love Bick 4.


When you say minimizes the appearance of scratches and scuffs what do you mean? For my 1907's I think every crease and line adds look to the boot but scratches on my toe where I scuffed it a few times I could do without lol I guess im curious how something could keep the color from darkening but also camouflage marks on the leather. 


I actually had to return the Charcoal Blacksmiths since I did decide they were too big and wouldn't break in properly because of that reason. I went back and tried on some smaller sizes of the IR since there both on the 8 last and as crazy as it seems a 10D appears to be the best fit in terms of snugness and less ankle slippage. It almost seems like a joke that I would wear a size 13 in sneakers and need a 10 in boots lol but thats what felt best even though I meaure a 11.5 on the Brannock. I do have a narrow foot, with it being closer to a B than a C so that may have to do with me needing to size down so much since D width is all you can find for that last. I ended up purchasing the Harvesters in Black Harness which is the same last but a 8 inch boot compared to the 6 inch Blacksmith. Since this leather is diff im not even sure if its Oil Tanned or not so I may end up needing a completely diff conditioner or care product than I previously thought. It is deep black so darkening on this boot won't be an issue at all. Here's a pic of them from Red Wings. 


post #3167 of 3658
the guy at the VLC store in Zurich who have sold RW for more than 10 years made a point that you should buy boots that feel slightly too large, and that heel slippage is a natural before breaking in boots.

I firmly belive this aswell, after having to give up on several (many) boots in the past because they turned out to be too small/didnt fit right.

So far, my black beckhams in a 13 D (which i measure on the brannock) feels like a very good fit.
post #3168 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


When you say minimizes the appearance of scratches and scuffs what do you mean? For my 1907's I think every crease and line adds look to the boot but scratches on my toe where I scuffed it a few times I could do without lol I guess im curious how something could keep the color from darkening but also camouflage marks on the leather. 

 

It's hard to explain, but Bick 4 is just almost magical. It seems to "heal" various scuffs and scratches, without really darkening the overall leather. It adds a lot of moisture to the leather, and seems to help keep it flexible and good looking for longer. Yeah over time, the Rough & Tough leather will go back to its original state as it dries out and etc... But I've had scratches disappear on the toe from my 1907's, and the overall leather appearance is the same as when new.

 

Your mileage may vary, but I love Bick 4 for any type of leather.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

made a point that you should buy boots that feel slightly too large, and that heel slippage is a natural before breaking in boots.

I firmly belive this aswell

 

Exactly. I've noticed that most boots, especially really thick / durable boots like RW's... They may feel large or have heel slip when brand new, but eventually the leather breaks in and conforms to your foot / ankle / heel. My 1907's had a pretty good heel slip, and were very stiff when brand new... but now the heel slip is gone (especially with boot socks), and they've softened up and become quite comfortable.

post #3169 of 3658

Another vote for Bick 4.  That stuff really is like magic and doesn't darken much, if any, even on my Chestnut Beckman's.

post #3170 of 3658

How much does it cost to resole boots like 1907 at RW?  What's the typical turnaround time?  Thanks.

post #3171 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post


When you say minimizes the appearance of scratches and scuffs what do you mean? For my 1907's I think every crease and line adds look to the boot but scratches on my toe where I scuffed it a few times I could do without lol I guess im curious how something could keep the color from darkening but also camouflage marks on the leather. 



I actually had to return the Charcoal Blacksmiths since I did decide they were too big and wouldn't break in properly because of that reason. I went back and tried on some smaller sizes of the IR since there both on the 8 last and as crazy as it seems a 10D appears to be the best fit in terms of snugness and less ankle slippage. It almost seems like a joke that I would wear a size 13 in sneakers and need a 10 in boots lol but thats what felt best even though I meaure a 11.5 on the Brannock. I do have a narrow foot, with it being closer to a B than a C so that may have to do with me needing to size down so much since D width is all you can find for that last. I ended up purchasing the Harvesters in Black Harness which is the same last but a 8 inch boot compared to the 6 inch Blacksmith. Since this leather is diff im not even sure if its Oil Tanned or not so I may end up needing a completely diff conditioner or care product than I previously thought. It is deep black so darkening on this boot won't be an issue at all. Here's a pic of them from Red Wings. 



The harvesters look bitching. Ive contemplated getting them but I cant justify a 9th pair of red wings..but Ive said that after every boot purchase prior.
Anyways, if it were me, since those are 8" in heighth I would buy sno-seal and fully water proof them because my logic is what's the point of owning boots of that heighth if you can't wade/walk through substantial water and/or precipitation without getting your socks soggy? Plus they are black so it doesn't change their appearance. Win win.
post #3172 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBron21 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post


When you say minimizes the appearance of scratches and scuffs what do you mean? For my 1907's I think every crease and line adds look to the boot but scratches on my toe where I scuffed it a few times I could do without lol I guess im curious how something could keep the color from darkening but also camouflage marks on the leather. 



I actually had to return the Charcoal Blacksmiths since I did decide they were too big and wouldn't break in properly because of that reason. I went back and tried on some smaller sizes of the IR since there both on the 8 last and as crazy as it seems a 10D appears to be the best fit in terms of snugness and less ankle slippage. It almost seems like a joke that I would wear a size 13 in sneakers and need a 10 in boots lol but thats what felt best even though I meaure a 11.5 on the Brannock. I do have a narrow foot, with it being closer to a B than a C so that may have to do with me needing to size down so much since D width is all you can find for that last. I ended up purchasing the Harvesters in Black Harness which is the same last but a 8 inch boot compared to the 6 inch Blacksmith. Since this leather is diff im not even sure if its Oil Tanned or not so I may end up needing a completely diff conditioner or care product than I previously thought. It is deep black so darkening on this boot won't be an issue at all. Here's a pic of them from Red Wings. 


The harvesters look bitching. Ive contemplated getting them but I cant justify a 9th pair of red wings..but Ive said that after every boot purchase prior.
Anyways, if it were me, since those are 8" in heighth I would buy sno-seal and fully water proof them because my logic is what's the point of owning boots of that heighth if you can't wade/walk through substantial water and/or precipitation without getting your socks soggy? Plus they are black so it doesn't change their appearance. Win win.


I scored another late dissapointment this morning when I got a phone call from my local RW guy and he told me that they cant order those since their Euro only. I really don't get the way RW handles their limited releases cause my guy was able to locate 6 pairs in my size at a warehouse but apparently he isn't able to get them? So somehow a handful of shops around the country are able to stock these nice limited boots but no official RW can buy them for their customers. Makes no sense to me lol I'm gonna have to order them thru one of the shops that still hopefully has a size I just hope they are ok because I wont be able to see them beforehand and ill have to ship UPS or Fedex(I hope) which means ill have to pay extra to get them insured cause im not taking the risk of someone "misplacing" these during shipping lol. 

post #3173 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letric View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykicks View Post
 


When you say minimizes the appearance of scratches and scuffs what do you mean? For my 1907's I think every crease and line adds look to the boot but scratches on my toe where I scuffed it a few times I could do without lol I guess im curious how something could keep the color from darkening but also camouflage marks on the leather. 

 

It's hard to explain, but Bick 4 is just almost magical. It seems to "heal" various scuffs and scratches, without really darkening the overall leather. It adds a lot of moisture to the leather, and seems to help keep it flexible and good looking for longer. Yeah over time, the Rough & Tough leather will go back to its original state as it dries out and etc... But I've had scratches disappear on the toe from my 1907's, and the overall leather appearance is the same as when new.

 

Your mileage may vary, but I love Bick 4 for any type of leather.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

made a point that you should buy boots that feel slightly too large, and that heel slippage is a natural before breaking in boots.

I firmly belive this aswell

 

Exactly. I've noticed that most boots, especially really thick / durable boots like RW's... They may feel large or have heel slip when brand new, but eventually the leather breaks in and conforms to your foot / ankle / heel. My 1907's had a pretty good heel slip, and were very stiff when brand new... but now the heel slip is gone (especially with boot socks), and they've softened up and become quite comfortable.


Ill make sure to look into Bickmore when it comes time to condition my pairs. As for sizing? I have to respectfully disagree with the idea of buying boots that are already to loose right out of the box. If your someone who only wears his boots 2-3 seasons out of the year and only a couple days a week then sure having a pair that is not form fitting may fine but I can assure you if your someone who is looking to get a lot of wear and also have that boot for many many years with multiple re-soles to look forward too your first feeling putting them on out of the box should be unpleasant. You have to get them very tight at first so the leather can properly form to your foot shape and movement. If you do go full or half size too big whats gonna happen is any sort of movement within the boot is gonna stretch and stress that part of the leather constantly causing it too warp wrong or tear eventually. It took me almost 5 years to realize I had bought my 1907's in the wrong size and I can see that this going to be an issue in the near future cause of the way the outer toe box has formed from my heel slipping up and forward causing the sides to blow out too far from the welt and midsole. 

post #3174 of 3658
^^^im not contenting the idea that a boot should be snug, but if that comes at the cost of toe wiggle room, I know that I atleast will regret it.
post #3175 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

^^^im not contenting the idea that a boot should be snug, but if that comes at the cost of toe wiggle room, I know that I atleast will regret it.

Agreed - if your toes are pushed together or jammed up against the front it's not going to comfortable after walking 3 miles. Snug is fine - tight is a problem.

Personally I find my Red Wing pretty TTS when worn with boot socks. If you've got fairly narrow feet or low arches then maybe going down half a size will suit you better, ditto if you wear thin socks. Conversely If you've got very wide feet you might need to go up half a size and use an insole. Don't forget to try them on after you've been walking around for a bit too - most peoples feet are almost half a size larger by the end of the day compared to when they got up.
post #3176 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

^^^im not contenting the idea that a boot should be snug, but if that comes at the cost of toe wiggle room, I know that I atleast will regret it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

^^^im not contenting the idea that a boot should be snug, but if that comes at the cost of toe wiggle room, I know that I atleast will regret it.

Agreed - if your toes are pushed together or jammed up against the front it's not going to comfortable after walking 3 miles. Snug is fine - tight is a problem.

Personally I find my Red Wing pretty TTS when worn with boot socks. If you've got fairly narrow feet or low arches then maybe going down half a size will suit you better, ditto if you wear thin socks. Conversely If you've got very wide feet you might need to go up half a size and use an insole. Don't forget to try them on after you've been walking around for a bit too - most peoples feet are almost half a size larger by the end of the day compared to when they got up.


I never said you should be mashing your feet into a smaller size like some Chinese foot binding ritual lol you can still have a very snug first fit without jamming your toes at all. Most of the RW round toes have a bump toe up front which gives extra room. For example my feet measure 11.5 but the 10 works best for me on the 8 last with enough room up front to move my toes. I do have a narrow foot so that accounts for the extra .5 down in size but I still think going as snug as possible is the best way to make sure your boots last as long as they should. 

post #3177 of 3658
sizing down = the boot gets shorter = your toes risk touching?

I also wonder if you have any examples of boots being .5 size too large that develop these tears your refereing to? Seems rather unlikely.
post #3178 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb0bo View Post

sizing down = the boot gets shorter = your toes risk touching?

I don't know if this is necessarily true. I was at Nordstrom Rack yesterday and tried on a pair of Redwing 8138's in an 8.5E and 8E. Both boots fit but my toes didn't touch anything in the 8E's. But they were a noticeably snugger fit, whereas, the 8.5E's had some wiggle room with thick socks on. I'm a 9 on a Brannock device and wear a 9D dress shoe and an 8.5D on the Alden Trubalance last. The trubalance last is known for being roomy and I could probably get away with an 8.5E. I also wear a pair of Thorogood moc toe boots that are an 8EE and those fit me perfectly.
post #3179 of 3658
Are RW factory 2nds generally a safe buy?
post #3180 of 3658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Are RW factory 2nds generally a safe buy?

I would assume so. Aren't factory seconds typically minor stuff like blemishes or stuffs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion