or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion - Page 137

post #2041 of 2545
Does anybody else love the 8146? I recently picked up a pair at Context and am shocked at how much I like them. I bought them for inexpensive winter boots, needed something with a good lugged sole to get around in this Wisconsin weather. But...they've quickly become my go-to boots and they were the only boots I took with me for my week long trip to NYC (and I did a lot of walking). I have Alden Roy boots and White's semi-dress...both of which are amazing boots and built to a higher quality, obviously, but I just keep reaching for my 8146s.
post #2042 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

Interesting that you say it is not helpful for waterproofing. Several sites say it can be used for waterproofing.

http://shoeshinekit.com/memioil.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=waterproof&search-alias=community-reviews&Go.x=-1002&Go.y=-358&idx.asin=B002TEHMEM

Obviously the Obenaufs LP is better. However it is also 5x more.

Oil and water don't play nice, so that's why it gives waterproofing attributes. Mink oil is more of an all around treatment (moisturize and nourish as well as some waterproofing properties) whereas Obenaufs is made specifically for waterproofing, yet it also helps to nourish leather.

I wouldn't use Obenaufs on my dress shoes/boots, but if I'm planning on putting my boots through their paces outdoors in nasty conditions, it's Obrnaufs all the way for me.
post #2043 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post


I've found that the Moc toe Red Wings run a half size smaller than their round toe stuff. I'd order the next .5 size up.

Looking for sizing advice here; I ordered a pair of Moc toes in 11 and they were a bit too small and not wide enough so I returned them.

 

Does anyone know if the round toe fits any wider? I found a pair of Round Toes in 11.5 Medium width but I'm afraid they would still be too slim 

post #2044 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post

Does anybody else love the 8146? I recently picked up a pair at Context and am shocked at how much I like them. I bought them for inexpensive winter boots, needed something with a good lugged sole to get around in this Wisconsin weather. But...they've quickly become my go-to boots and they were the only boots I took with me for my week long trip to NYC (and I did a lot of walking). I have Alden Roy boots and White's semi-dress...both of which are amazing boots and built to a higher quality, obviously, but I just keep reaching for my 8146s.

 

I like them as well.  I'm actually wearing them today.  Definitely more of a work boot look than something like the Beckman's.  I wear them when I know I will be up and down ladders all day and/or in dirty rough areas.  Also great for rain/snow with the deep lugged soles.  The break-in was really rough on my ankles, but very comfortable now.

post #2045 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post

Does anybody else love the 8146? I recently picked up a pair at Context and am shocked at how much I like them. I bought them for inexpensive winter boots, needed something with a good lugged sole to get around in this Wisconsin weather. But...they've quickly become my go-to boots and they were the only boots I took with me for my week long trip to NYC (and I did a lot of walking). I have Alden Roy boots and White's semi-dress...both of which are amazing boots and built to a higher quality, obviously, but I just keep reaching for my 8146s.

Got the 8146 for my Dad for his birthday. Great boot, he seems to really enjoy it. Wears it every chance he gets.

post #2046 of 2545

I've had it.

 

I'm selling my iron rangers on ebay.

 

The width is just way too narrow, even though I'm  between a c and d width, and these are a D. Their idea of D is obviously not working with my foot.

post #2047 of 2545

Any tips to clean the wedge? I tried everything and the stains don't come off.

 

Also are the wedges painted or something? Seems like mine look duller after cleaning them.

 

Thanks,

post #2048 of 2545

So I just received those STP "factory seconds" with a friggin hole on the side.  I could understand scratches and uneven stitchings, but a hole should be considered defective.  Complete waste of time.

post #2049 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
 

So I just received those STP "factory seconds" with a friggin hole on the side.  I could understand scratches and uneven stitchings, but a hole should be considered defective.  Complete waste of time.

Wow.  That's just ridiculous/shitty.  Sorry to hear it.

 

Mind sharing a photo so we can see how major it is?  (although any hole is too much)

post #2050 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillFly View Post

What technique do you use? I've heard of using a hair dryer or even putting in an oven.
Yeah I just used a blow dryer to soften the LP then used my hands to rub it into the boot. After that I used to blow dryer on the boot to get it to seep into all the areas. I then brushed it down with a horse hair brush. The last step I did was repeat the whole process a second time. If you search through the Wolverine 1K thread a member (Crane's) gives a tutorial which I pretty much followed except he used Sno-Seal instead of LP. I think he also used a rag to apply the Sno-Seal. You can get your boots looking beat up but without them getting your feet all soggy.

Love your signature btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

What are your thoughts about Mink Oil?
I've never tried it. Obenauf seems to do the job so I'm sticking with it.
post #2051 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post
 

Any tips to clean the wedge? I tried everything and the stains don't come off.

 

Also are the wedges painted or something? Seems like mine look duller after cleaning them.

 

Thanks,

Vibram wedge soles?

 

If so, I'd recommend using a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser."  Just make sure not to hit the leather, as it relies on "micro-abrasion," which is basically a high grit sandpaper.  They work wonders.

post #2052 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post


Yeah I just used a blow dryer to soften the LP then used my hands to rub it into the boot. After that I used to blow dryer on the boot to get it to seep into all the areas. I then brushed it down with a horse hair brush. The last step I did was repeat the whole process a second time. If you search through the Wolverine 1K thread a member (Crane's) gives a tutorial which I pretty much followed except he used Sno-Seal instead of LP. I think he also used a rag to apply the Sno-Seal. You can get your boots looking beat up but without them getting your feet all soggy.

Love your signature btw

Ok, thanks I'll search for that.

 

Ehh, I needed a username. lol

post #2053 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
 

So I just received those STP "factory seconds" with a friggin hole on the side.  I could understand scratches and uneven stitchings, but a hole should be considered defective.  Complete waste of time.


I tried warning you guys.

 

It is defective, that's why they put the holes there.

 

They don't want sneaky people going to Nordstroms or Zappos and buying a pair of First Quality boots and then returning their defective boots and the return department will be none the wiser.

 

That's why they blatantly make holes in visible places so not to mix them up with their irregular factory seconds...

post #2054 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post


Interesting that you say it is not helpful for waterproofing. Several sites say it can be used for waterproofing.

http://shoeshinekit.com/memioil.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=waterproof&search-alias=community-reviews&Go.x=-1002&Go.y=-358&idx.asin=B002TEHMEM

Obviously the Obenaufs LP is better. However it is also 5x more.

Mink Oil has been around a long time. I started using it in the late 70's as it was the only thing we could find for waterproofing leather boots. I've used it a lot. Its inexpensive and easy to find but there are much better options available. Mink Oil is not good for "waterproofing", its more water-resistant. Its fine for walking around in the rain for a short period. Over time though, water will get thru and soak the leather. I still have my leather hiking boots that I only treated with Mink Oil. If I wore them out in rainy conditions for several hours my feet got wet.

 

Mink Oil is decent for treating the leather. My old boots still look decent and the leather is in decent condition. The problem with it is that over time it will make leather too soft. Mink Oil can also get rancid and smell bad, though I've only had that happen in the container and not on the leather.

 

About 15 years ago I started using Nikwax for hiking boots and its much better at waterproofing. It seems to breath better also. Since the proliferation of information available on the internet though, I've learned about all kinds of products I didn't know about before and have been trying them out. I have Sno-seal and Obenaufs LP. I like these products better for strictly outdoor use boots. For boots that I want to treat without changing the color of the leather, I really like Bick 4. It seems good for treating the leather (without darkening) but only seems to be water-repellant. I also recently got some Filson Boot Oil to try for treating leather. I imagine it will be like the Mink Oil though and susceptible to over softening. However, for strictly waterproofing, Nikwax is still my favorite.

post #2055 of 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewh View Post

Mink Oil has been around a long time. I started using it in the late 70's as it was the only thing we could find for waterproofing leather boots. I've used it a lot. Its inexpensive and easy to find but there are much better options available. Mink Oil is not good for "waterproofing", its more water-resistant. Its fine for walking around in the rain for a short period. Over time though, water will get thru and soak the leather. I still have my leather hiking boots that I only treated with Mink Oil. If I wore them out in rainy conditions for several hours my feet got wet.

Mink Oil is decent for treating the leather. My old boots still look decent and the leather is in decent condition. The problem with it is that over time it will make leather too soft. Mink Oil can also get rancid and smell bad, though I've only had that happen in the container and not on the leather.

About 15 years ago I started using Nikwax for hiking boots and its much better at waterproofing. It seems to breath better also. Since the proliferation of information available on the internet though, I've learned about all kinds of products I didn't know about before and have been trying them out. I have Sno-seal and Obenaufs LP. I like these products better for strictly outdoor use boots. For boots that I want to treat without changing the color of the leather, I really like Bick 4. It seems good for treating the leather (without darkening) but only seems to be water-repellant. I also recently got some Filson Boot Oil to try for treating leather. I imagine it will be like the Mink Oil though and susceptible to over softening. However, for strictly waterproofing, Nikwax is still my favorite.

It's funny, I've used nikwax on my true hiking boots for years, but never really thought of using it on nicer boots. Does it change the finish/color much? Any downsides?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion