or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion - Page 136

post #2026 of 2735

I ordered a pair of 875s in 11 and they felt a bit to small and were too tight in the middle of my foot.  Has anybody owned the round toes? I found a pair in 11.5 that I like but I'm assuming they would also be too slim.  

post #2027 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post

I talked to my buddy just now who bought some factory 2nd Red Wing 875 a few months ago and he said the stitching was undone in the back and cost $60 to fix by a cobbler, Nordstrom recently sold 1st quality ones for $139. Not worth going with factory 2nds IMO if you have to pay to repair them.

Then he sold them on ebay for $50 because they had the hole in the tongue and repair, further killing their resale value.

Good deal if you aren't expecting much for $96. I'd rather buy used First Quality RW than new 2nd quality. I just bought an 875 on ebay a week ago for $140 shipped worn once or twice.

A lot of off price retailers like STP and the various TJX stores will be forced by vendors to label items as Factory 2nd even though nothing is wrong with the item. Each vendor is different. I needed a pair of good boots for New England winter, so just picked up a pair of Red Wing on STP. I let you guys know if they are factory 2nds.
post #2028 of 2735

They're definitely seconds. The site says "2nds" and some models have "closeout" written (first quality overstock)

 

That's why they're discounted so much. A lot of people jumped on these thinking they're getting First Quality overstock and this was a huge mistake from the website, but STP isn't stupid. I'm sure a ton of these will be returned once people get them.

 

TJX doesn't sell 2nds, they sell 99% overstock/past season.

 

Also just found an eBay seller frequently has 2nds for $99. He must be finding them for ~$50 somewhere to be selling them that cheap. $100 for seconds isn't really a great deal. A quick search here:

 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=red+wing+875&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_sop=15&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=93427&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XRED+WING+%23+875+CLASSIC+WORK+BOOT+MADE+IN+USA+SIZE&_nkw=RED+WING+%23+875+CLASSIC+WORK+BOOT+MADE+IN+USA+SIZE&_sacat=93427


Edited by RRL CLOTHING - 12/5/13 at 6:18am
post #2029 of 2735
MhX8ndt

I put some mink oil on my RW 8111 (Iron Ranger Ambers) and they seem to have small dark spots at different spots on the shoer. Furthermore, the shoe is now very sensitive to pressure. For example, the tongue is showing all the markings from the lacings.

post #2030 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL CLOTHING View Post
 

They're definitely seconds. The site says "2nds" and some models have "closeout" written (first quality overstock)

 

That's why they're discounted so much. A lot of people jumped on these thinking they're getting First Quality overstock and this was a huge mistake from the website, but STP isn't stupid. I'm sure a ton of these will be returned once people get them.

 

 

There is a good chance they are seconds, but with a liberal return policy by STP, there is no risk.  As I stated, STP, TJX, & other off-price-retailers will list items as seconds when they are sometimes not.  They are required to do so by certain companies that don't want to be perceived as selling their first quality items to these companies.  

 

Quote:
 TJX doesn't sell 2nds, they sell 99% overstock/past season.

 

You managed to fit two incorrect statements into that short sentence.  TJX does sell seconds and there merchandise is only about 10% overstock/past season.  It is a widely incorrect assumption by many people that they only sell overstock or past season items.  

post #2031 of 2735

LOL @10 % overstock. Wow you clearly are clueless. TJX ONLY sells past season and overstock and only very few samples/irregulars/2nds. I used to be manager at Marshalls. Most of TJX stock of Polo, Jack Spade, Vince, Rugby, Diesel, Marc Jacobs, higher end brands, etc comes from Nordstroms and Bloomingdales and Neiman as well as PRL at the end of every season marked PSR (past-season.)

 

If they sell occasional "irregulars", that's because they are irregular from the factory and marked as such, and not because of some BS "perceived first quality" regulations from the manufacturer.

 

As far as returns go, why abuse STP's return policy because of your ignorance? They clearly marked them SECONDS and gave them 60+% discount. If you think you're getting otherwise you are sadly mistaken and will waste time returning them. Unless of course you don't mind wearing defective merchandise, then by all means keep them and save yourself a few dollars.


Edited by RRL CLOTHING - 12/5/13 at 9:31am
post #2032 of 2735

^ I'll respond one more time and then won't bother so as not to clog up this thread.  You are welcome to have the last word.  I am not abusing STP.  I am expecting factory seconds and my hope is that it is a minor problem that is worth the discount. My statement above was that if it turns out they are first quality, I will let everyone know.  I also believe that many people do not realize that some items that are marked as seconds may actually be first quality because the off-price-retailers are required to label them as such by certain contracts (not all).  If this is common knowledge, then my apologizes for wasting people's time.  

 

I can say with 100% certainty that my approximation of 10% overstock is much closer to the truth than your approximation of 99%. I am ignorant to a lot of things, but this is not one of them.  

post #2033 of 2735
So about all of this mink oil and brushing and cleaning and stuff - is all of this upkeep for the sake of the boot's longevity or just for keeping the boots looking clean?

Or both?


Because I like the look of when the 875's/moc toes are really worn and beaten in, but will never taking the time to apply oil and/or clean them severely kill their durability or something?
post #2034 of 2735

i like my boots to look worn too, but it just makes sense to oil occasionally cause of how much precipitation there is in vancouver. if i'm correct it helps with the water resistance and lessens the deterioration?

post #2035 of 2735
How long does mink oil keep the boots waterproof? I applied a coating of Meletonian mink oil a few weeks ago.
post #2036 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricesuit View Post

i like my boots to look worn too, but it just makes sense to oil occasionally cause of how much precipitation there is in vancouver. if i'm correct it helps with the water resistance and lessens the deterioration?

I'm in Vancouver too and I applied two coat of Obenaufs LP and haven't had a problem with rain or puddles.
post #2037 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post


I'm in Vancouver too and I applied two coat of Obenaufs LP and haven't had a problem with rain or puddles.

What technique do you use? I've heard of using a hair dryer or even putting in an oven.

post #2038 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post

I'm in Vancouver too and I applied two coat of Obenaufs LP and haven't had a problem with rain or puddles.
What are your thoughts about Mink Oil?
post #2039 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman89 View Post

What are your thoughts about Mink Oil?

Good for moisturizing and nourishing, less helpful/specialized for waterproofing.
post #2040 of 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathpah View Post

Good for moisturizing and nourishing, less helpful/specialized for waterproofing.
Interesting that you say it is not helpful for waterproofing. Several sites say it can be used for waterproofing.

http://shoeshinekit.com/memioil.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=waterproof&search-alias=community-reviews&Go.x=-1002&Go.y=-358&idx.asin=B002TEHMEM

Obviously the Obenaufs LP is better. However it is also 5x more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion