or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion - Page 102

post #1516 of 2547
Anyone own a pair of 9029/9030 and indys? My indys are 10.5D while my only RW reference is the work oxford which I take in a 10. If anyone's covered direct comparisons between the indy and 9029/9030 it'd be cool to see a picture of the two side by side. All the better if your indys are on commando sole as is.
post #1517 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by float View Post

Anyone own a pair of 9029/9030 and indys? My indys are 10.5D while my only RW reference is the work oxford which I take in a 10. If anyone's covered direct comparisons between the indy and 9029/9030 it'd be cool to see a picture of the two side by side. All the better if your indys are on commando sole as is.

 

Ditto this. Really need to see a pair of 9030's in action.

post #1518 of 2547

Hi Dreamfall,

 

I have the exact same question now that you had back then.

 

Have you found that your Red Wing 3141 have stretched on the width since wearing them in? I'm asking because I have the same situation now that you had then. The 3141 fits well on the length, but they are super tight on the width and also especially hard to put on as the opening for the foot feels so small. I'm not sure whether I should exchange them for the half-size up. The salesman recommend I stick to these as he said they'd stretch with time, but I'm worried of taking the risk and being stuck with expensive shoes that don't fit.

 

Your help would be very appreciated! Thanks a lot!

 

Guillaume

post #1519 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

There's your problem. Sizing down in boots is a strange styleforum phenomenon. Next time, go with the same DB size. Allows for nice thick socks in wintertime. In summer, use an insole.

Seriously. I have the oil slick chukka true to size. It fits perfectly. Unlike the Beckman which I sized down 1 full size. Both fit perfectly. You should not have to break in your boots to get the right fit. That is absurd and horrid for you feet. I have noticed the strange SF phenomenon of people sizing footwear down like crazy. Is it because they read the denim thread and think you're supposed to cripple your feet for months to get a proper fit? Any Red Wing or Alden clerk will tell you err on the big side. Extra room is good.

Based on a Zappos customer survey for the Chukka: 85% "Felt true to width", 49% "Felt a half size smaller than marked". No one said they run large.
post #1520 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasoline View Post


Seriously. I have the oil slick chukka true to size. It fits perfectly. Unlike the Beckman which I sized down 1 full size. Both fit perfectly. You should not have to break in your boots to get the right fit. That is absurd and horrid for you feet. I have noticed the strange SF phenomenon of people sizing footwear down like crazy. Is it because they read the denim thread and think you're supposed to cripple your feet for months to get a proper fit? Any Red Wing or Alden clerk will tell you err on the big side. Extra room is good.

Based on a Zappos customer survey for the Chukka: 85% "Felt true to width", 49% "Felt a half size smaller than marked". No one said they run large.

The process of breaking in new boots is absolutely normal. Since my days in the army I know that new boots ALWAYS require a break in, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's tough. In the Red Wing range the hardest one for me was the Beckman (Gentleman Traveller), the easiest was the 877/875. Should be because of the softer leather. You can ease the process by applying lots of boot oil before using the boots, repeat this 3-4 times and the leather will soften up significantly. Before break in your boots should fit lenghtwise (in this area no stretch is to be expected) but the heel area will mold to your feet during the first few days. If you buy your boots too large (means too wide), they'll never develop a snug, supportive fit.

 

Sizing down is a matter of your standpoint. There are lots of manufacturers that tag their stuff with ridiculous size tags. I usually am an "L" build, but sometimes I need an "XXL" or a "M". That's why you should try before buy.

 

Red Wing is definitely one of those examples where you almost always can size down on size. So what? Is it important to have a proper fitting boot, or have a boot with your "normal" size tag in it?

 

I once ordered a pair of 212 a half size bigger than usual, it was their last pair and the price was great. But I ended up sending them back, too wide in the heel area, no way these boots would have ever satisfied me.

 

The only reason I see why to order Red Wings without sizing down is to have real cold weather work boots. I have a pair of 577 which I only use for doing things in my yard or attending a soccer game in winter. Because they're too big, I can wear thick, really thick, socks in them and I put an insulating insole in them. That'll be impossible if they were my regular size.

post #1521 of 2547
i'm a measured "upper" 10.5D according to red wing machine...my left foot is a bit bigger than my right. I wore a size 10 beckman boot and it felt nice and snug but my left foot felt a bit crammed. I got a size 10.5 instead and they are def roomier but I don't have that crammed feeling.
post #1522 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas1965 View Post

The process of breaking in new boots is absolutely normal. Since my days in the army I know that new boots ALWAYS require a break in, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's tough. In the Red Wing range the hardest one for me was the Beckman (Gentleman Traveller), the easiest was the 877/875. Should be because of the softer leather. You can ease the process by applying lots of boot oil before using the boots, repeat this 3-4 times and the leather will soften up significantly. Before break in your boots should fit lenghtwise (in this area no stretch is to be expected) but the heel area will mold to your feet during the first few days. If you buy your boots too large (means too wide), they'll never develop a snug, supportive fit.

Sizing down is a matter of your standpoint. There are lots of manufacturers that tag their stuff with ridiculous size tags. I usually am an "L" build, but sometimes I need an "XXL" or a "M". That's why you should try before buy.

Red Wing is definitely one of those examples where you almost always can size down on size. So what? Is it important to have a proper fitting boot, or have a boot with your "normal" size tag in it?

I once ordered a pair of 212 a half size bigger than usual, it was their last pair and the price was great. But I ended up sending them back, too wide in the heel area, no way these boots would have ever satisfied me.

The only reason I see why to order Red Wings without sizing down is to have real cold weather work boots. I have a pair of 577 which I only use for doing things in my yard or attending a soccer game in winter. Because they're too big, I can wear thick, really thick, socks in them and I put an insulating insole in them. That'll be impossible if they were my regular size.

I didn't mean to imply you should feel like you're wearing New Balance sneakers out the door or anything. My point was, don't cripple yourself. Try shoes on at the end of a day where you walked around a bit, they are made from leather, leather tends to stretch, buy the pair that feels snug but never something that is uncomfortable or painful. Not to make this sound like a PSA or anything but I know a guy who did some serious permanent damage to his feet from wearing too small boots.
post #1523 of 2547
I'm selling brand new red wing j crew Moc toe boots for cheap hit me up for pricing I only have 10.5 size a few call or text me at 6465238012 I am in New York City
post #1524 of 2547
with my 10.5 beckmans, my feet feel OK but they look HUGE on me
post #1525 of 2547

I can help.  Here are some pics of a Beckman 9029 and a Indy 404.  The Redwing is a very nice and well put together boot, but the Indy is in a class above, as it should be retailing @ $100+.  

 

For reference I included a pic of the Beckman chukka as well.  The chukka is also a great boot which looks so much better in person vs. pictures.

 

As far as sizing, I found I wear the following sizes:

 

Indy - Size 11 (could use a size 10.75)

Beckman 9029 - Size 11.5 (perfect fit)

Beckman Chukka - Size 11.5 (perfect fit)

RW Iron Ranger - Size 11 

RW GT - Size 11

Wolverine 1000 Mile - Size 11

 

True to talk on these forums, the Beckmans are taking a longer time to break in.  They are significantly stiffer than the Indy.  The Iron Ranger was also a pretty quick break in.

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by float View Post

Anyone own a pair of 9029/9030 and indys? My indys are 10.5D while my only RW reference is the work oxford which I take in a 10. If anyone's covered direct comparisons between the indy and 9029/9030 it'd be cool to see a picture of the two side by side. All the better if your indys are on commando sole as is.

Edited by matt92037 - 1/28/13 at 7:03pm
post #1526 of 2547
Listen to gasoline. This boot sizing down thing might be the single dumbest thing I've ever seen on this very dumb forum.
post #1527 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa View Post

Listen to gasoline. This boot sizing down thing might be the single dumbest thing I've ever seen on this very dumb forum.

 

>very dumb forum

>over 5k posts

>Constanzaface.jpg

post #1528 of 2547
u mad bro?
post #1529 of 2547

If the boots are unsanforized it's good to size up 2 so they shrink to fit on your first wash.

post #1530 of 2547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

If the boots are unsanforized it's good to size up 2 so they shrink to fit on your first wash.

Lawlwat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion