• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johan Santana traded to the Mets

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beating out the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, the Mets reached a tentative agreement Tuesday to acquire the two-time Cy Young Award winner, two people familiar with the deal said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Minnesota would receive speedy outfielder Carlos Gomez, and pitchers Philip Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Not a bad price for the best pitcher in baseball.

A Tigers - Mets, or even a Subway World Series down the horizon? Me likey
inlove.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Not a bad price for the best pitcher in baseball.

A Tigers - Mets, or even a Subway World Series down the horizon? Me likey
inlove.gif

Try a White Sox vs. who cares World Series.

Without Santana or Hunter playing for the Twins the Sox are gonna own the AL Central.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me... Johan Santana for a handful of "who the hell is that"?

I think the Mets are dealing with Lucifer on a longterm contract status.

But hey, Go Mets!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Try a White Sox vs. who cares World Series. Without Santana or Hunter playing for the Twins the Sox are gonna own the AL Central.
That's the most ignorant thing I've seen all day. The White Sox are miles from competing with the Tigers and Indians. They're probably still behind the Twins for that matter, but that's at least debatable. That package for Santana is unbelievably weak. I can't believe the Yankees or Red Sox didn't top it. The rumored Seattle package for Bedard is WAY stronger. Adam Jones alone is worth more than that whole Mets package. The disparity in competence between various front offices in MLB is depressing.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
The rumored Seattle package for Bedard is WAY stronger. Adam Jones alone is worth more than that whole Mets package. The disparity in competence between various front offices in MLB is depressing.

Sadly enough, as a Seattle native, I will tell you right now that whatever ends up happening in the Bedard trade will be the wrong thing.

A: We get Bedard for Jones and Sherrill. Bedard falls apart and gets sent down to become a permanent AAA all-star pitcher. Jones becomes an all-star outfielder, and Sherill a shut down closer. They come around to Safeco a dozen times a year to laugh at us after winning three consecutive world series' and sleeping with all our moms.

B: We don't get Bedard. Jones ends up injured, pissed off at the organization for dangling him as trade bait, quits baseball and gains 80 lbs in beer weight, or something else as ludicrous. Sherrill retires and/or gets traded to the Yankees, where he wins the world series the very next year.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What I heard was Jones, Tillman and Triunfel. Maybe that was bogus. If you're a Mariner fan, I hope so. Bedard will probably win a Cy Young award in Safeco, but Jones will be worth more than Bedard within a few years.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
What I heard was Jones, Tillman and Triunfel. Maybe that was bogus. If you're a Mariner fan, I hope so. Bedard will probably win a Cy Young award in Safeco, but Jones will be worth more than Bedard within a few years.
I keep hearing Adam Jones + George Sherill. I am pretty much not ok with that, as a fan. Can we unload Richie Sexson anywhere? I mean... really. I just wish we could have a team full of Ichiro. I'd let him pitch.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I think the thing with Bedard is signability. I think the Ellsbury package is better than the one from the Mets, but apparently the Twins value the Mets prospect over what the Sox were offering. To be honest, the Sox don't need Santana, and they've won just b/c the Yankees didn't get him.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phil Hughes Alone Was Better Than The Entire Mets Package!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
Phil Hughes Alone Was Better Than The Entire Mets Package!

Yeah, I wouldn't have traded him if I were the Yanks either. I'm glad the Sox didn't trade Lester + Ellsbury or Buchholtz.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Don't worry, the Mets will figure out a way to f it up.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watch santana go down pavano-style. such is the mets fate.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno wtf Smith was thinking... I think the best packages were the Hughes/Cabrera package or the Ellsbury package. I think if he'd put it on the table and thrown something in he might have been able to get Ellsbury and Lester both but nothing else, which would have been much much better than this. I'm glad the Sox didn't do this, Ellsbury will be a perennial All-Star in center and Lester will be at worst a #3 starter IMO. Hughes has the potential to be as good as Santana is.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, I dunno wtf Smith was thinking... I think the best packages were the Hughes/Cabrera package or the Ellsbury package. I think if he'd put it on the table and thrown something in he might have been able to get Ellsbury and Lester both but nothing else, which would have been much much better than this. I'm glad the Sox didn't do this, Ellsbury will be a perennial All-Star in center and Lester will be at worst a #3 starter IMO. Hughes has the potential to be as good as Santana is.

"Potential" is the key word here. Santana, like Pedro Martinez or Roger Clemens (pre-roid, may be?), is an once-a-generation talent AND is still in the middle of his best years. Meanwhile, a handful of young pitchers get that "future Cy Youngs" tag every couple year or so; the majority of them don't live up to the hype, for whatever reasons.

re: the trade, I would view the Mets package in better light if Smith's track record on young talents were anything like Billy Beane or Terry Ryan. As is, yeah, I think the Yankees' offer tops them all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads