or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boss Quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boss Quality

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I love Hugo Boss suits as they fit me almost perfectly off the rack. I have two and they are some of my favorites. I have been reading disparaging remarks about them on this blog and wondered what the general consensus was on Boss' quality. thanks.
post #2 of 38
Boss is a mass made suit, it is fused to hold the layers together and uses as many automated steps as possible. The suit manufacturer quality is low. Some of the fabrics may be decent, and the cuts may fit some very well, but the actual workmanship level is very low. Given the price charged, it makes a poor value. If you are in the position to buy a suit knowing it will last a few season and you are prepared to chuck it, fine. or if you get it at a tremendous discount and use it as "beater suit". If you are looking for value, it is not there. I am taking nothing more than a decently educated guess here, but I would peg the wholesale cost of a Boss suit at about 170 dollars. The mark up is enormous!!!! I have some Boss in my closet, I buy some of the pants (on sale only) as beater pants. At 60 and 70 percent off, they are beginning to approach their realistic value imo.
post #3 of 38
boss = luxury GAP.
post #4 of 38
Clearly you've read the posts so what more could you possibly be looking for?
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
Clearly you've read the posts so what more could you possibly be looking for?

Perhaps someone who offers a different opinion, such as a defence of Boss on the basis of (a combination of) fit, style, and availability, as the highest end clothing they can find?

There are so many different income brackets and tastes represented on these forums that I'm sure someone who likes it would speak up, if they were so inclined.

In Sydney you won't readily find as many people familiar with a lot of the labels discussed on this forum, myself included, and Boss retains a place among the luxury shopfronts, with corresponding ridiculous prices.

On SF, very little good is heard about a lot of the labels that are still very highly regarded in the retail world, which is where a lot of newcomers sign up to learn about, before their knowledge is vastly broadened.

With respect to Boss, the contrast in pricing between David Jones (local higher-end department store) and Filene's Basement (in Boston) is incredible!

I don't mind Boss shoes, design wise, but then again, my tastes are in stark contrast to some of the regulars here.

Other than that, it is too expensive for me to willingly spend, unless I'm shopping in the US, where prices are more reasonable.
post #6 of 38
That's great but it has nothing to do with what I just wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strazzaque View Post
Perhaps someone who offers a different opinion, such as a defence of Boss on the basis of (a combination of) fit, style, and availability, as the highest end clothing they can find? There are so many different income brackets and tastes represented on these forums that I'm sure someone who likes it would speak up, if they were so inclined. In Sydney you won't readily find as many people familiar with a lot of the labels discussed on this forum, myself included, and Boss retains a place among the luxury shopfronts, with corresponding ridiculous prices. On SF, very little good is heard about a lot of the labels that are still very highly regarded in the retail world, which is where a lot of newcomers sign up to learn about, before their knowledge is vastly broadened. With respect to Boss, the contrast in pricing between David Jones (local higher-end department store) and Filene's Basement (in Boston) is incredible! I don't mind Boss shoes, design wise, but then again, my tastes are in stark contrast to some of the regulars here. Other than that, it is too expensive for me to willingly spend, unless I'm shopping in the US, where prices are more reasonable.
post #7 of 38
Let me reiterate about consumer mistake #1

Mistaking high price for high quality.


This type of thread specifically about Hugo Boss merchandise has been coming strong recently. We've collective burst the bubble of illusion that the newbies had, and I'm assuming they feel cheated. Now they can't look at that same suit with the same admiration as before.

Am I right?
post #8 of 38
Yeah, but wait til they discover "the truth" about Kiton...
post #9 of 38
Boss is the finest clothier in the nation and the world and no better deal is out there or anywhere and git-chy, git-chy, yah, yah, yah.
post #10 of 38
I surely miss those massive suit massacre threads.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Let me reiterate about consumer mistake #1

Mistaking high price for high quality.


This type of thread specifically about Hugo Boss merchandise has been coming strong recently. We've collective burst the bubble of illusion that the newbies had, and I'm assuming they feel cheated. Now they can't look at that same suit with the same admiration as before.

Am I right?


yes, my take is many newbies get defensive and want "justification" for our "disparaging" remarks. Which is fine, but it would be wonderful if they did a quick search to find the answer they're looking for.

Search is great because you will see the input of some seasoned forum members who may not post as often now or are no longer inclined to answer a question that's been beaten to death.

As for the OP's original question, Zegnamtl nailed it.

Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone paying more than $150 for an HB suit, and that's assuming the fabric and cut is to your liking. Now don't ask me where you can get it for $150, I'm just saying that is it's realistic value at best, IMO. As for those in other countries, my opinion doesn't change.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
yes, my take is many newbies get defensive and want "justification" for our "disparaging" remarks. Which is fine, but it would be wonderful if they did a quick search to find the answer they're looking for. Search is great because you will see the input of some seasoned forum members who may not post as often now or are no longer inclined to answer a question that's been beaten to death. As for the OP's original question, Zegnamtl nailed it. Knowing what I know now, I would not recommend anyone paying more than $150 for an HB suit, and that's assuming the fabric and cut is to your liking. Now don't ask me where you can get it for $150, I'm just saying that is it's realistic value at best, IMO. As for those in other countries, my opinion doesn't change.
They already have done the search. They've seen the comments. And they're still posting. It gets annoying. I don't understand why people can't search and then call it a day? Is it really that hard? Can't the mods just lump all the slim suit threads into one and all the boss threads into one?
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
They already have done the search. They've seen the comments. And they're still posting. It gets annoying.

I don't understand why people can't search and then call it a day? Is it really that hard? Can't the mods just lump all the slim suit threads into one and all the boss threads into one?

Having your sartorial bubble burst and having this inane confidence in a truth you once held dear only to find it a complete falsehood, in addition that you have been had, puts one in a defense posture to justify one's poor decision. This is what you are seeing with all these defensive and reaffirming Boss threads.

I believe they say that all truth goes thru 3 phases with culture:
1. first it is violently oppossed
2. it is slowly assured as truth
3. it becomes self evident and obvious
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph View Post
Having your sartorial bubble burst and having this inane confidence in a truth you once held dear only to find it a complete falsehood, in addition that you have been had, puts one in a defense posture to justify one's poor decision. This is what you are seeing with all these defensive and reaffirming Boss threads.

I believe they say that all truth goes thru 3 phases with culture:
1. first it is violently oppossed
2. it is slowly assured as truth
3. it becomes self evident and obvious

Amen! Buy the brother a beer
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Amen! Buy the brother a beer

We've all been there so it's not like I'm trying to be harsh, but I'd say this is the process we are seeing once again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Boss Quality