or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 36

post #526 of 21424
BIG had a expirement and someone wore a pair a sam's and washed them every week for a year. They still turned out great. Wash your jeans...
post #527 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by somatoform View Post
I find the APC almost unwearable because of their weird waist configuration: already 2 inches larger than tagged plus an additional 2 inches of stretch (the lower I go on the waist, the more I compromise on the thighs) makes them, in my opinion, the most retardedly constructed jeans around.

BUT, I love the color and shine of the denim. So, are there other brands out there that have denim similar to APC?

why dont you have the waist taken in?
post #528 of 21424
i haven't heard of taking the waist in, i thought you would need to disassemble the a good chunk of the top block, making it kinda pricey.

but then again i have no tailoring experience, enlightenment please?
post #529 of 21424
I tried on Nudie Even Steven and Average Joe and both fit me well in the waist and thigh (size 36-34) but they're too baggy at the hem. What style should I look for next? I prefer the look/finish of the Nudie Jeans. Also tried APC new standard but they look too plain to me (and also too baggy at the hem).
post #530 of 21424
Hello everyone. I'm new to this raw denim scene so I wanted to start rather inexpensive. A friend of mine told me to get Levi 501's but I have a few questions concerning the STF vs. the preshrunk.

First, I found the preshrunk's relatively easily but I've yet to find any STF's around me. I was wondering if it's worth the trouble of ordering the STF's online or are preshrunk's just as good? (I noticed that the darkest preshrunk looks very similar to the STF's, which leads me to think they are the same just already shrunk).

Also, if I do get the STF's, how do I get them to shrink to fit me? I heard I need to soak in a bath tub with them on. Does that work? And how should I dry them afterwards?

Finally, is there any way to shrink the preshrunks back to the tagged size after they get stretched?

Thanks in advanced
post #531 of 21424
Don't know about the other questions, but to get any jeans back to their original size, wash them. Of course, they will stretch out again.
post #532 of 21424
^ Incorrect. APC, for example, never shrink back to the original size.
post #533 of 21424
those. are. amazing. fortunately for my wallet, context seems to be sold out of my size. any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
The best bet is a bit more expensive. KMW black selvage context collab is exactly what you're looking for.
post #534 of 21424
Acne max cashes are a nice black matte color. Cloak has some black overdyes. Cheap monday and april 77 do as well but they're a bit skinny for what you're looking for. Levis makes the 511 cut (not that skinny, probably like apc ns) in a black overdye. APC makes black stretch cures that are nice. The cure cut (different from new cure) isn't all that tight either and would work.
post #535 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
Don't know about the other questions, but to get any jeans back to their original size, wash them. Of course, they will stretch out again.

But I thought washing them was undesirable since it effects the fading. However, even if I do wash them and they shrink back to normal, how long does it usually take for them to stretch out again? Would the STF's shrink back to normal and stay like that for longer?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd just like to make sure I know what I'm doing.
post #536 of 21424
I'm currently breaking in a pair of APCs and they're the sex.

I figured six months to a year would be my next purchase on a good pair of jeans, but what's the next step? I'm eyeing Flatheads or 5EPxSF if they're still available at that time, but still find it hard to justify $300 for a pair of jeans. Can you really feel the difference with FH/5EP vs. APC? Anything better than APC but still within an affordable price range?

I'm looking for a timeless, minimalist, durable pair. Has to have a slight taper too, like the NSes. Thanks.
post #537 of 21424
stuartSan, I'd recommend some RRL jeans. The current season raws are $210 and if you get lucky you can find some Godmother (of 5EP fame) era RRLs on ebay for like $100 or less, which is a steal because they went for $395 back then. The only thing to be aware of with the older ones is that the rise is LOW AS HELL. The new ones are still made to be a bit lower on the hips but they are nowhere near as low as they used to be. The denim is selvage and they are very nice. I haven't seen a well worn pair but I'm sure they look pretty good worn.
post #538 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartSan View Post
I'm currently breaking in a pair of APCs and they're the sex.

I figured six months to a year would be my next purchase on a good pair of jeans, but what's the next step? I'm eyeing Flatheads or 5EPxSF if they're still available at that time, but still find it hard to justify $300 for a pair of jeans. Can you really feel the difference with FH/5EP vs. APC? Anything better than APC but still within an affordable price range?

I'm looking for a timeless, minimalist, durable pair. Has to have a slight taper too, like the NSes. Thanks.

$300 (or whatever 5EPxSFs are going for) is a lot for jeans. But if you look at them like the absolute perfect pair (which they might be with what you're asking for) that will last forever (and they are very, very high quality) then it becomes a more reasonable investment. If you wear them all the time, it breaks down to mere cents a day. If you think you'll enjoy them more than two more pairs of APCs or whatever else you would spend that $300 on (and you very well may), then they're entirely worth it.
post #539 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartSan View Post
Can you really feel the difference with FH/5EP vs. APC?

Yes, absolutely!
post #540 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian278 View Post
$300 (or whatever 5EPxSFs are going for) is a lot for jeans. But if you look at them like the absolute perfect pair (which they might be with what you're asking for) that will last forever (and they are very, very high quality) then it becomes a more reasonable investment. If you wear them all the time, it breaks down to mere cents a day. If you think you'll enjoy them more than two more pairs of APCs or whatever else you would spend that $300 on (and you very well may), then they're entirely worth it.

Last time I checked, the 5EPxSF can be had for $210 through DenimBar. Compared to the APC NS, which retail price has hiked up to $155 (~$125 through DB), going w/ 5EP is almost a no-brainer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.