or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1417

post #21241 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


Your post demonstrates how new you are at this.

Yes. Take an entire afternoon to sit in a bathtub with your pants on, then stand motionless until they're dry so they don't stretch out afterwards.

Right.

Been there, done that. Not worth it. Buy one wash - one and done.

New to this? What is it exactly about my post that demonstrates a lack of knowledge exactly? You could also go back in the archives of this thread and you may see a familiar username year or way more than that now, answering every single persons questions posted here., until I just got bored with it and over it. And reread what I wrote about the soaking again, I think you may have ttaken it a little too literally, I wasn't seriously suggesting he do that, that would be ridiculous and pointless. I have probably 15 years or so dealing with premium raw denim under my belt, know it inside and out, so new to this? No, not in the slightest. Why would anyone buy the once washed version? Never in all my years have I ever even considered doing this. I want to be in full control of how my denim is treated and soaked, it's part of the entire point of buying raw,  a completely unique jean to yourself. Just seems like your afraid of the first step so instead you have someone else do it for you. I prefer my initial soak without any agitation, I also have an initial soak method that I use to be sure to get all the shrinkage out, I like to be in control of my jeans. Your uncomfortable with the initial soak? fine have someone else do it for you. I'll handle mine on my own. And it's definitely worth knowing the treatment your denim got before you purchased them, especially since they are a long term investment of your time. Your post says that you don't get the point and choose to skip steps out of convenience. Who even offers one wash besides blue in green? All my times in self edge, not once have I seen a one wash pair of jeans. You do it yourself, its part of the process.

post #21242 of 21424
Okay, so anyway. In the past few months I have probably tried on 50 pairs of jeans and pants to try to find something that's got a moderate rise and a decently slim leg opening, yet I just can't find anything that fits both my waist and thighs and is not straight below the knee. That's why I'm posting a ton lately. I just haven't found anything that fits great except for some shitty $20 corduroys I got at Marshalls that are already falling apart. Sorry if I'm killing you.
post #21243 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Okay, so anyway. In the past few months I have probably tried on 50 pairs of jeans and pants to try to find something that's got a moderate rise and a decently slim leg opening, yet I just can't find anything that fits both my waist and thighs and is not straight below the knee. That's why I'm posting a ton lately. I just haven't found anything that fits great except for some shitty $20 corduroys I got at Marshalls that are already falling apart. Sorry if I'm killing you.
The answers to your problems.....WARNING: INCLUDES UNSANFORIZED JEANS, THE ONES FOR ADULTS THAT DON'T COME WITH AN OPTION TO BE WASHED FOR YOU. IF THIS IDEA SCARES YOU THEN YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST. (Click to show)
From the age of 8 til 12th grade, and it would have been through college at  least as well if I had accepted the scholarships but the injuries ruined the game, but I played catcher 11 months out of the year that entire time, thus my thighs are absolutely huge, however I like a slim tapered jean. Now I have a couple suggestions for you that will work however they are not cheap. And when I say that, I mean it. Now you can go with a high fashion model that is the perfect cut of denim, they have roomy enough thighs and the absolute perfect taper, they are actually the second most copied silhouette behind the 501, that being the 19cm model of Dior Homme Raws (MIJapan, the Italian ones are garbage). Don;t let the common misconception that if it''s not selvage it's garbage deter you, these aren't however they are extremely high quality denim, ironically, until recently, the Italian ones were the only ones made with selvage and they were absolute trash compared to these. They have a medium low rise and a 38 inch inseam but they are truly the perfect fitting pair of jeans. I personally have owned 3 pairs of them.. However the last pair I purchased from Barneys were i believe around 400, which makes me believe they are most likely about 450 now. They'll last for years and are worth the investment, as are the next two pairs I am going to mention. 1st being Flat Head x Self Edge SE05BSP model collaboration jeans. I have a pair of these as well. They have a wider thigh, a medium low rise, and taper below the knee giving them a slimming effect. BE WARNED THOUGH APPARENTLY UNSANFORIZED DENIM THESE DAYS IS TERRIBLE AND PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE IT, which these are. However you can choose to just not be dumb and do basic math and easily know what size you will need to purchase based on the amount of inches they will shrink in the waist and inseam after their initial soak, all information that is provided. These were I believe 350 when I got them, and hoping they are still running this model, I'd guess they would be between 350-375. Lastly and probably the best possible suiting jeans for your body type and my absolute favorites that I own, are my Iron Heart x Self Edge 22-301s. Now these were a limited run AND THEY ARE UNSANFORIZED TOO SO BE CAREFUL, THEY WON'T WASH THEM FOR YOU, IT'S SCARY I KNOW.... and the 22 stands for the weight of the denim once shrunk into after being soaked, meaning it weighs 22 ounces per square yard, meaning these are heavy duty denim. Now I have no clue if they are running this special collaboration edition anymore, however the basic 301s which are raw sanforized NO SOAKING, SO THE OTHER GUY CAN REST EASY FOR YOU are still being produced I believe and they are the exact same cut, just 21 ounces. They are absolutely perfect for guys with big thighs that want a slim fitting jean. They will run you around 400 bucks though. Out of my collection, these mentioned are the pairs that I have found to fit me and my wide legs the best in the most flattering manner. These are also the types of denim that if properly cared for (hang after wearing, don't be one of those idiots that waits 10 months to a year between washes, wait maybe 6 months first time around then probably at least hot soaks every 3 months after that to rinforced the cotton and the cotton/poly sitiching to avoid blowouts and such, and they will last you a solid 5 years or so probably more, so they are an investment. I love denim so I don't skimp but can definitely understand someone else being totally appalled by these numbers. Just thought I would let you know that I have the same issue and the answers to it are out there, you just gotta pay a lot for em. Balls in your court.
post #21244 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

The answers to your problems.....WARNING: INCLUDES UNSANFORIZED JEANS, THE ONES FOR ADULTS THAT DON'T COME WITH AN OPTION TO BE WASHED FOR YOU. IF THIS IDEA SCARES YOU THEN YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST. (Click to show)
From the age of 8 til 12th grade, and it would have been through college at  least as well if I had accepted the scholarships but the injuries ruined the game, but I played catcher 11 months out of the year that entire time, thus my thighs are absolutely huge, however I like a slim tapered jean. Now I have a couple suggestions for you that will work however they are not cheap. And when I say that, I mean it. Now you can go with a high fashion model that is the perfect cut of denim, they have roomy enough thighs and the absolute perfect taper, they are actually the second most copied silhouette behind the 501, that being the 19cm model of Dior Homme Raws (MIJapan, the Italian ones are garbage). Don;t let the common misconception that if it''s not selvage it's garbage deter you, these aren't however they are extremely high quality denim, ironically, until recently, the Italian ones were the only ones made with selvage and they were absolute trash compared to these. They have a medium low rise and a 38 inch inseam but they are truly the perfect fitting pair of jeans. I personally have owned 3 pairs of them.. However the last pair I purchased from Barneys were i believe around 400, which makes me believe they are most likely about 450 now. They'll last for years and are worth the investment, as are the next two pairs I am going to mention. 1st being Flat Head x Self Edge SE05BSP model collaboration jeans. I have a pair of these as well. They have a wider thigh, a medium low rise, and taper below the knee giving them a slimming effect. BE WARNED THOUGH APPARENTLY UNSANFORIZED DENIM THESE DAYS IS TERRIBLE AND PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE IT, which these are. However you can choose to just not be dumb and do basic math and easily know what size you will need to purchase based on the amount of inches they will shrink in the waist and inseam after their initial soak, all information that is provided. These were I believe 350 when I got them, and hoping they are still running this model, I'd guess they would be between 350-375. Lastly and probably the best possible suiting jeans for your body type and my absolute favorites that I own, are my Iron Heart x Self Edge 22-301s. Now these were a limited run AND THEY ARE UNSANFORIZED TOO SO BE CAREFUL, THEY WON'T WASH THEM FOR YOU, IT'S SCARY I KNOW.... and the 22 stands for the weight of the denim once shrunk into after being soaked, meaning it weighs 22 ounces per square yard, meaning these are heavy duty denim. Now I have no clue if they are running this special collaboration edition anymore, however the basic 301s which are raw sanforized NO SOAKING, SO THE OTHER GUY CAN REST EASY FOR YOU are still being produced I believe and they are the exact same cut, just 21 ounces. They are absolutely perfect for guys with big thighs that want a slim fitting jean. They will run you around 400 bucks though. Out of my collection, these mentioned are the pairs that I have found to fit me and my wide legs the best in the most flattering manner. These are also the types of denim that if properly cared for (hang after wearing, don't be one of those idiots that waits 10 months to a year between washes, wait maybe 6 months first time around then probably at least hot soaks every 3 months after that to rinforced the cotton and the cotton/poly sitiching to avoid blowouts and such, and they will last you a solid 5 years or so probably more, so they are an investment. I love denim so I don't skimp but can definitely understand someone else being totally appalled by these numbers. Just thought I would let you know that I have the same issue and the answers to it are out there, you just gotta pay a lot for em. Balls in your court.

post #21245 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

New to this? What is it exactly about my post that demonstrates a lack of knowledge exactly? You could also go back in the archives of this thread and you may see a familiar username year or way more than that now, answering every single persons questions posted here., until I just got bored with it and over it. And reread what I wrote about the soaking again, I think you may have ttaken it a little too literally, I wasn't seriously suggesting he do that, that would be ridiculous and pointless. I have probably 15 years or so dealing with premium raw denim under my belt, know it inside and out, so new to this? No, not in the slightest. Why would anyone buy the once washed version? Never in all my years have I ever even considered doing this. I want to be in full control of how my denim is treated and soaked, it's part of the entire point of buying raw,  a completely unique jean to yourself. Just seems like your afraid of the first step so instead you have someone else do it for you. I prefer my initial soak without any agitation, I also have an initial soak method that I use to be sure to get all the shrinkage out, I like to be in control of my jeans. Your uncomfortable with the initial soak? fine have someone else do it for you. I'll handle mine on my own. And it's definitely worth knowing the treatment your denim got before you purchased them, especially since they are a long term investment of your time. Your post says that you don't get the point and choose to skip steps out of convenience. Who even offers one wash besides blue in green? All my times in self edge, not once have I seen a one wash pair of jeans. You do it yourself, its part of the process.

I dunno about jawns but apparently paragraphs are a new concept for you.
tl;dr
post #21246 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Okay, so anyway. In the past few months I have probably tried on 50 pairs of jeans and pants to try to find something that's got a moderate rise and a decently slim leg opening, yet I just can't find anything that fits both my waist and thighs and is not straight below the knee. That's why I'm posting a ton lately. I just haven't found anything that fits great except for some shitty $20 corduroys I got at Marshalls that are already falling apart. Sorry if I'm killing you.
The answers to your problems.....WARNING: INCLUDES UNSANFORIZED JEANS, THE ONES FOR ADULTS THAT DON'T COME WITH AN OPTION TO BE WASHED FOR YOU. IF THIS IDEA SCARES YOU THEN YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS POST. (Click to show)
From the age of 8 til 12th grade, and it would have been through college at  least as well if I had accepted the scholarships but the injuries ruined the game, but I played catcher 11 months out of the year that entire time, thus my thighs are absolutely huge, however I like a slim tapered jean. Now I have a couple suggestions for you that will work however they are not cheap. And when I say that, I mean it. Now you can go with a high fashion model that is the perfect cut of denim, they have roomy enough thighs and the absolute perfect taper, they are actually the second most copied silhouette behind the 501, that being the 19cm model of Dior Homme Raws (MIJapan, the Italian ones are garbage). Don;t let the common misconception that if it''s not selvage it's garbage deter you, these aren't however they are extremely high quality denim, ironically, until recently, the Italian ones were the only ones made with selvage and they were absolute trash compared to these. They have a medium low rise and a 38 inch inseam but they are truly the perfect fitting pair of jeans. I personally have owned 3 pairs of them.. However the last pair I purchased from Barneys were i believe around 400, which makes me believe they are most likely about 450 now. They'll last for years and are worth the investment, as are the next two pairs I am going to mention. 1st being Flat Head x Self Edge SE05BSP model collaboration jeans. I have a pair of these as well. They have a wider thigh, a medium low rise, and taper below the knee giving them a slimming effect. BE WARNED THOUGH APPARENTLY UNSANFORIZED DENIM THESE DAYS IS TERRIBLE AND PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE IT, which these are. However you can choose to just not be dumb and do basic math and easily know what size you will need to purchase based on the amount of inches they will shrink in the waist and inseam after their initial soak, all information that is provided. These were I believe 350 when I got them, and hoping they are still running this model, I'd guess they would be between 350-375. Lastly and probably the best possible suiting jeans for your body type and my absolute favorites that I own, are my Iron Heart x Self Edge 22-301s. Now these were a limited run AND THEY ARE UNSANFORIZED TOO SO BE CAREFUL, THEY WON'T WASH THEM FOR YOU, IT'S SCARY I KNOW.... and the 22 stands for the weight of the denim once shrunk into after being soaked, meaning it weighs 22 ounces per square yard, meaning these are heavy duty denim. Now I have no clue if they are running this special collaboration edition anymore, however the basic 301s which are raw sanforized NO SOAKING, SO THE OTHER GUY CAN REST EASY FOR YOU are still being produced I believe and they are the exact same cut, just 21 ounces. They are absolutely perfect for guys with big thighs that want a slim fitting jean. They will run you around 400 bucks though. Out of my collection, these mentioned are the pairs that I have found to fit me and my wide legs the best in the most flattering manner. These are also the types of denim that if properly cared for (hang after wearing, don't be one of those idiots that waits 10 months to a year between washes, wait maybe 6 months first time around then probably at least hot soaks every 3 months after that to rinforced the cotton and the cotton/poly sitiching to avoid blowouts and such, and they will last you a solid 5 years or so probably more, so they are an investment. I love denim so I don't skimp but can definitely understand someone else being totally appalled by these numbers. Just thought I would let you know that I have the same issue and the answers to it are out there, you just gotta pay a lot for em. Balls in your court.

Appreciate the advice, but dropping 3-4 bills on jeans is just not something that I can or want to do at this point in life. Honestly I don't really see myself ever wanting to spend that much on jeans. Too many other priorities.

And I looked at those Iron Heart x Self Edge 22-301s, but I don't see how they're good for guys with big thighs based on the measurements. Right now I'm at a 34.5" actual waist, 41" hips, 25" thighs.The size 34 301s have 35.5 waist and 12.6 thigh, so they'll be just as tight as the jeans I posed a while ago (see below), which have the exact same waist and thigh measurements. This is with absolutely no strength training after losing 30 lbs, so imagine how bad it will be if I start lifting again.
Warning: Crotch Shot! (Click to show)

Edited by Van Veen - 12/23/15 at 9:59am
post #21247 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompso View Post

Who even offers one wash besides blue in green? All my times in self edge, not once have I seen a one wash pair of jeans. You do it yourself, its part of the process.

okayama denim and denimio offer a raw and once washed version of some of their jeans. it's personal preference -- some like the ritual of unsanforized denim, and others prefer sanforized. there is no wrong answer
post #21248 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post

okayama denim and denimio offer a raw and once washed version of some of their jeans. it's personal preference -- some like the ritual of unsanforized denim, and others prefer sanforized. there is no wrong answer

There's also a little company called, I think, Levi something that offers one wash. I'd disagree with you last statement only to this extent: "There's only one 'adult' way to buy jeans and that's the overly fetishized way I do it because someone on the internet told me to do it that way if I want to be cool" is, in fact, the wrong answer.
post #21249 of 21424
honestly, for the casual dude who just wants jeans that are a step up from mall brands and non-lvc levi's, just buy from apc

they fade the best, have the best-looking and most flattering cuts (all imo, of course), won't break the bank, and are easy to get and try on


japanese brands are more for legit denim enthusiasts and i wouldn't advise one to get into a pair from any of them as their first
post #21250 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshi View Post

honestly, for the casual dude who just wants jeans that are a step up from mall brands and non-lvc levi's, just buy from apc

they fade the best, have the best-looking and most flattering cuts (all imo, of course), won't break the bank, are easy to get and try on


japanese brands are more for legit denim enthusiasts and i wouldn't advise one to get into a pair from any of them as their first

APC does not work for large glute/thigh guys. This has been established above.
post #21251 of 21424
not even the rescues or new standards?


though tbh, i barely skimmed through the above posts

i got the feeling that they were all in response to a dude wanting his first pair of raws, which is where my apc suggestion is coming from
post #21252 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshi View Post

not even the rescues or new standards?


though tbh, i barely skimmed through the above posts

i got the feeling that they were all in response to a dude wanting his first pair of raws, which is where my apc suggestion is coming from

APC stopped making the rescue a few years back, no?
post #21253 of 21424

Was this in response to me? If so, I've thought about APC, but I've seen a lot of people here say that they're not very good. I want to make sure that I do this right on the first shot, but raw denim looks like way too much work. APC is also $200 from Nordstrom. That seems pretty expensive unless there's somewhere else I should be looking for these.

post #21254 of 21424
apc's are made in macau (which is like china or something), so i think it gets unfairly judged because of that sometimes

a lot of people also claim that they're more prone to blowouts, but the problem is that a lot of people size down way too much on them (advice like "get a pair whose top two buttons you can't button at first" used to be rampant), which is what causes said blowouts



the thing about the japanese brands, as i mentioned in my other post, is that they can only really be appreciated by denim enthusiasts. and even then, if you want my honest opinion, though i don't doubt that some legitimately are passionate about the stuff, a lot of people who advocate those brands are just people who are prone to mental masturbation. sure, they're undoubtedly better made, and you often find niche stuff with those brands (e.g. non-red selvedge lines, brass/copper/etc. buttons, gaudy back pocket stitching, big leather patches, etc.) which people sometimes hype up, but how much things like that are worth to you is something you should think about for yourself. if you don't actually care for any of those things, then there's obviously no point in buying from any of those brands. there's certainly something of a hive mind culture or whatever it's called to fashion forums (look at male fashion advice on reddit, for example), so it's important to have some self-awareness and establish yourself mentally early on so that you don't blindly agree with and buy into things.

i find that japanese brands also work best with a very specific style/aesthetic, like a vintage workwear look or whatever

if you just want raws to wear casually, then there's nothing better than apc's minimalist-looking jeans imo

and as i mentioned before, they fade very well, fade relatively easily, are relatively cheaper, have some of the most flattering cuts, and are stocked by pretty much everybody (which means that it's easy to get a pair to actually try on in person)



and yes, they do go on sale on various sites so they can be had for cheaper than $200

what i'd suggest is ordering a few pairs from nordstrom (unless you have stores locally that stock them) to try on and get your sizing right and then return them

after that, just check the official sales alert thread on this forum and keep an eye out for apc sales

unfortunately, i'm a small, skinny person (i wear a 26 in raw petit standards), so my size is almost impossible to find on sale (let alone in stock), so i can't tell you how often and where they go on sale since it's something i've never paid attention to, but others can probably help with that
post #21255 of 21424
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshi View Post

apc's are made in macau (which is like china or something), so i think it gets unfairly judged because of that sometimes

a lot of people also claim that they're more prone to blowouts, but the problem is that a lot of people size down way too much on them (advice like "get a pair whose top two buttons you can't button at first" used to be rampant), which is what causes said blowouts



the thing about the japanese brands, as i mentioned in my other post, is that they can only really be appreciated by denim enthusiasts. and even then, if you want my honest opinion, though i don't doubt that some legitimately are passionate about the stuff, a lot of people who advocate those brands are just people who are prone to mental masturbation. sure, they're undoubtedly better made, and you often find niche stuff with those brands (e.g. non-red selvedge lines, brass/copper/etc. buttons, gaudy back pocket stitching, big leather patches, etc.) which people sometimes hype up, but how much things like that are worth to you is something you should think about for yourself. if you don't actually care for any of those things, then there's obviously no point in buying from any of those brands. there's certainly something of a hive mind culture or whatever it's called to fashion forums (look at male fashion advice on reddit, for example), so it's important to have some self-awareness and establish yourself mentally early on so that you don't blindly agree with and buy into things.

i find that japanese brands also work best with a very specific style/aesthetic, like a vintage workwear look or whatever

if you just want raws to wear casually, then there's nothing better than apc's minimalist-looking jeans imo

and as i mentioned before, they fade very well, fade relatively easily, are relatively cheaper, have some of the most flattering cuts, and are stocked by pretty much everybody (which means that it's easy to get a pair to actually try on in person)



and yes, they do go on sale on various sites so they can be had for cheaper than $200

what i'd suggest is ordering a few pairs from nordstrom (unless you have stores locally that stock them) to try on and get your sizing right and then return them

after that, just check the official sales alert thread on this forum and keep an eye out for apc sales

unfortunately, i'm a small, skinny person (i wear a 26 in raw petit standards), so my size is almost impossible to find on sale (let alone in stock), so i can't tell you how often and where they go on sale since it's something i've never paid attention to, but others can probably help with that


well I'm a 32 so that shouldn't really be a problem. there's one by me that's having a denim sale after Christmas so I feel like I'd have a chance to take a look

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.