Just received my new denim (Tellason 16.5oz, and Division Big Star 14.4 oz) from Brooklyn Denim Co. and couldn't be happier.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New gap denim Last post on 8/1/15 at 7:05pm in Streetwear and Denim
- How to stretch jeans? Last post on 2/17/14 at 10:14am in Streetwear and Denim
- Clothes to wear to a club/party? Last post on 6/15/07 at 11:59pm in Streetwear and Denim
- *4/30 Add* NWT Spurr Pipe Leg Denim/NWT BoO Trousers/QuoddyxSouthWillard/Etc. Last post on 4/30/11 at 1:44pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- sz 30 denims + ToJ varsity & moto Last post on 4/17/11 at 12:42pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
What I Learned from Slim Denim
Last edited: 12/21/14
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1265post #18961 of 211231/4/13 at 1:06pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #18962 of 211231/4/13 at 7:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by bald eagle
Lads total noob here so go easy on me.
I am looking for a couple of pairs of new jeans.
One pair of plain black jeans and another pair of standard light faded type jeans. Would like to be able to wear them casual and also more dressy type events.
I would like them more fitted but not sure about skinny jeans, I dont think I am slim enough for them. I weigh about 90kgs and I am 6 ft tall.
I was looking to know some advice on what type of jeans to stay away from and what are the top 5 or 6 brands to stick to in terms of quality and fit.
I have a couple of pairs of Replay jeans and Deisel jeans currently. They have both served me well over the years but I am looking for something more fitted and nicer.
I would probably pay around £150 - £200 for something that i love.
(2) skinny is kind of a specific and acquired taste, so unless you WANT skinny jeans, at your height/weight, the typical low straight cut (maybe with some taper if that's your thing) is what you're looking for.
(3) read through this thread, check pictures contained in it, comments on cut, etc. and figure out what brands, cut, aesthetic you like and don't like. there's no 'top' anything, totally depends on taste. gotta help yourself, man.
(4) refer to (1)
(5) refer to (3)post #18963 of 211231/5/13 at 3:33ampost #18964 of 211231/5/13 at 3:37pmpost #18965 of 211231/5/13 at 6:16pmQuote:
Try sticking them in the freezer for a couple hours then rubbing the gunk off with a dry toothbrushpost #18966 of 211231/5/13 at 10:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Pig Farmer
Is that not how you measure the upper thigh? I thought it was the shortest distance from the outside of the leg to just below the crotch seam.
My upper thigh is about 25, so your recommendations are quite handy. But I think that 508s (taper) and 520s (extreme taper) are supposed to be the same above the knee. According to my research, one just has a smaller leg opening than the other. I did try on 508s at JC Penney before ordering these and they were roughly the same tight fit, but since I was trying on the black stretch model (only type they had) I assumed it would be roomier in the regular fabric. Should've heeded the signs.
Any experience with the 562? It looks kind of bad in pictures, but the models aren't a good indicator.
Both of you are assuming that the 520 is a skinny fit. It's not.
I'd be very surprised if the 520 wasn't roomier than the 511 in the thigh.
520's should be quite a bit looser in the thigh and quite a bit narrower in the ankle than 508s. If I'm not mistaken they have the biggest upper thigh Levi's makes (other than 562 and 569, both of which are described as loose) but they narrow a lot as you go down the leg (they have either the smallest or second smallest leg opening Levi's makes). You may want to try the 550, or 562. 514's might fit, because the leg on them is actually fairly loose (looser than 501's or 505's, oddly enough...) You really don't have many options though.post #18967 of 211231/6/13 at 8:33ampost #18968 of 211231/6/13 at 1:14pmpost #18969 of 211231/6/13 at 1:45pmpost #18970 of 211231/6/13 at 1:56pm
Follow up to my earlier question: I bought some used flat head 3009's, unworn but hot soaked for 45 mins. I was wondering if this was enough or I should hot soak again to get out residual shrink. Someone on SuFu advised "Just soaking FH jeans doesn't fully shrink them, I'd say give them a full wash (with or without soap) in warm water. Agitation is absolutely crucial to get all the shrink out at once. Don't worry about losing indigo, FH denim is insanely dark and retains its color really well."
Would it indeed be advisable to machine wash warm like this?post #18971 of 211231/6/13 at 2:07pmpost #18972 of 211231/6/13 at 5:18pmpost #18973 of 211231/6/13 at 7:51pmI ended up going with Unbranded 301s for my first pair of raw denim. However, the 33's I ordered leave me unable to button the top 2 buttons. The legs fit well but I'm just not able to pull them up all the way and finish buttoning them. I know stretching will usually allow one to get the top button closed but is this recommended for when the top 2 aren't closing? Or would it be better for me to move up to a 34?post #18974 of 211231/7/13 at 1:36pmpost #18975 of 211231/7/13 at 3:05pmQuote:
Depends on the jean, but usually yes. Waist is the most resilient place for stretching back to original measurements.
- I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Disney Buys Lucasfilm For $4 Billion! STAR WARS EPISODE VII... 2 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris fw13 Western Shirt. Size 37 (XS) 8 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 9 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Seeking SFers in Bay Area, New York, Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa... 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015