or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1254

post #18796 of 20635

taper from the inseam

post #18797 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooAwesome View Post

taper from the inseam

I'm assuming that's just the inside? Forgive my noobness to tapering denim.
post #18798 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesssir View Post


I'm assuming that's just the inside? Forgive my noobness to tapering denim.

Yes it is.

 

Inseam runs from the crotch to the them INSIDE of the leg!

 

Tapering from the inseam makes you keep the selvedge!

post #18799 of 20635
Ok.. i've lurked for a long time now but im finally going to ask for some help in this thread..

I'm looking for advice on my first pair of nice jeans that will fit similar to a Levi 514 cut. I've never owned jeans that cost more than $50 and recently have only been wearing 514's in a size 31x32 (in dress slacks i'm more like 30x30, but i got them a little long for stacking and a tiny bit loose in the waist for room in the "box" area).

I'd like to keep it around $150 or under, but i'm always open to good deals and ultimately just want the most bang for my buck. Looking for something versatile in a not-too-dark indigo (unless they're black... dont own any black jeans).

If it matters i'm 5'8, 160 athletic build.

Thanks for any advice -- much appreciated.
post #18800 of 20635
^ I'm partial to the Uniqlo regular fit made-in-Japan model as far as 514 equivalents are concerned: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/made-for-all/men-made-in-japan-regular-fit-jeans/073554-68

They don't have the indigo ones in stock right now, though.

My noob question: Where are all the cool kids getting their jeans repaired these days? My Ande Whall grifters need some work, and Self Edge doesn't take mail orders anymore.
post #18801 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by notwithit View Post

My noob question: Where are all the cool kids getting their jeans repaired these days? My Ande Whall grifters need some work, and Self Edge doesn't take mail orders anymore.

I'd always heard good things about Denim Doctors in LA...
post #18802 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

IIRC san/unsan is not indicated on the tag per se as it is a characteristic of the denim... others may correct me.... I hope you REALLY got those on sale as the link you provided had those jeans at $250!! yikes... uhoh.gif

What about the denim should I be looking for? Thanks. And yeah, they were 30% off. Still over priced, but made in the USA and they fit well.
post #18803 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon View Post

What about the denim should I be looking for? Thanks. And yeah, they were 30% off. Still over priced, but made in the USA and they fit well.

glad they fit and as long as you got them on sale nod[1].gif but sanforized denim has been treated so as not to shrink very much where unsanforized denim can shrink significantly. IIRC there isn't a surefire way to tell just by looking, but individual brands can tell you which make/model and what denim is used for that style. Since many people here are wearing/breaking-in raw denim, they most likely have not washed the jeans yet until the fading and creasing has reached a point that they like. Check the sales thread... so much on sale you're bound to find something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I'd always heard good things about Denim Doctors in LA...

I drove by this place the other day... they are just repair specialists?
post #18804 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

I drove by this place the other day... they are just repair specialists?

That's what I hear.

And by "hear" I mean "read about on various e-messageboards specializing in men's clothing and related issues"

smile.gif
post #18805 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

glad they fit and as long as you got them on sale nod[1].gif but sanforized denim has been treated so as not to shrink very much where unsanforized denim can shrink significantly. IIRC there isn't a surefire way to tell just by looking, but individual brands can tell you which make/model and what denim is used for that style. Since many people here are wearing/breaking-in raw denim, they most likely have not washed the jeans yet until the fading and creasing has reached a point that they like. Check the sales thread... so much on sale you're bound to find something.
I drove by this place the other day... they are just repair specialists?

Thanks, but I think you misunderstood. I already emailed the company, and the rep seemed kinda clueless. I understand a lot of labels actually do give certain info, whether about shrinkage or actually as to whether our not it is sanforized. I wasn't sure what the minimal amount of info I would find would be on the tag, or if that kinda thing is standard.
post #18806 of 20635
Doesn't 7 for all mankind make cheap fashion jeans? Would blow my mind if they ever made an unsanforized jean.
post #18807 of 20635
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

Doesn't 7 for all mankind make cheap fashion jeans? Would blow my mind if they ever made an unsanforized jean.

Yes.... I was attempting to help him with the 7 question but I believe he had already purchased them.
post #18808 of 20635
I more or less knew what i was getting into with the 7s. they're only 11 oz, but i liked some of the stuff about them.

But yeah, if they're unsanforized, it'll be really weird, because like I said...the only unsanforized stuff they've probably ever made, except maybe a jacket or something. I honestly do not think the sales rep knew what sanforization was, looked it up, saw it was a method of preshrinking, and, since they are raw and not shrunk from washing, assumed telling me they were not preshrunk was good enough. Which is pretty annoying, really.
post #18809 of 20635

anyone know anything about these D# jeans? it's hard to search for info because 'D#' doesn't have enough characters. I am wondering what the relative quality is, and if anyone has fit pictures.

post #18810 of 20635

Goal: I'm looking for some well-fitting entry level selvedge - one mid-weight indigo and one light-weight gray/black - but I feel like a top-heavy freak trying on Uniqlo's MIJ, even in Regular Fit. Please help me find the perfect pair! If entry level is out of the question, I'll pay whatever it takes to make this work, but it's my first real pair of denim so I'd prefer to screw up with a less expensive pair. Please note that I live in NYC, so I can go window shopping if you think that's a better choice.

Fit: My best fitting pair is no longer made, and I'm not sure exactly what it is. From the label, I know these things: 100% cotton, "chuckin slim" converse by varvatos. It's very lightweight and feels a bit stretchy. My only complaint is that the rise is a tad short and I'd like the opening to be smaller.

Here are the measurements of the best fitting pair with some notes on fit:

  • Label Waist = 31.0" (also what I wear in Levi's true-to-size)

  • True Waist = 34.5" (hard to measure due to age / stretchiness)

  • Front rise = 10.5" but should go up to 10.75"

  • Thighs = 22.0" but they stretch.

  • Actual Body's Thighs = 24.25" with jeans on, 23.25" with jeans off

  • Knee 8.25"

  • Opening = 15.0" but want to come down to 14.5"

  • Inseam 32.5"

Style: I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and I'd self-describe as a Yupster. Denim is just one of those things I never quite got just right. I'd say the truly "skinny jean" look is a little beyond me, but slim and slim straight, or Levi 508 & 520-stretch work just fine in my style. The only real killer is that having my pants skin-tight against my thighs makes me look ridiculous.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide rawdenim pros!


Edited by bdud - 12/4/12 at 2:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.