or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1181

post #17701 of 20778
Thread Starter 
Go with what's comfortable first. Fit can come later.
post #17702 of 20778
Also I am a little confused as to what my jeans are exactly. Are they selvage? I got the Slim Jim organic dry and I don't think they are selvage. Is that a bad thing or not?
post #17703 of 20778

Not unless you care about that kind of thing.  I don't think Nudies are selvedge but I'm not 100% on that.  For what it's worth I don't think they look very flattering on you - they seem very tight in the thighs which looks bad with the high rise.

post #17704 of 20778
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Not unless you care about that kind of thing.  I don't think Nudies are selvedge but I'm not 100% on that.  For what it's worth I don't think they look very flattering on you - they seem very tight in the thighs which looks bad with the high rise.

Thanks, that is what i was looking for. I can return them whenever so I think I will try them out for a week or two to see if they will fit better.

Do you think the APC Rescue or New Standard would fit better? I am thinking about ordering them online.
Edited by Foxtrot56 - 4/20/12 at 9:16pm
post #17705 of 20778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56 View Post

Also I am a little confused as to what my jeans are exactly. Are they selvage? I got the Slim Jim organic dry and I don't think they are selvage. Is that a bad thing or not?

They're not. Nudie definitely does use selvage denim but only on certain models and they're typically harder to come across.

It's not "bad" in a basic sense but it is in a more specific way. There's nothing really proprietary about the fit of SJ, so why pay retail when there are far better alternatives in that range? You may not understand or appreciate the differences now, and maybe you never will care to, which is fine. But, this thread is a lot about bang for buck if all things are equal. No one here is going to recommend those jeans, but if you're ok with that and with them, so be it.

Regarding fit, I stand by my previous advice. Everyone will have a different opinion, but no one aside from yourself is putting down the cash and actually wearing them. You're able to button them? You're able to move around in them comfortable? You like/don't like the rise? Do they feel painted on? etc. These questions are objective. Once you can answer them then you'll be able to nit pick what works and doesn't work for you.

Sometimes it's ridiculous how people will have such strong opinions of fit based on a single shitty picture of a pair of jeans on the first day of wear. It's like they've never heard of brands like APC.
post #17706 of 20778
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

They're not. Nudie definitely does use selvage denim but only on certain models and they're typically harder to come across.
It's not "bad" in a basic sense but it is in a more specific way. There's nothing really proprietary about the fit of SJ, so why pay retail when there are far better alternatives in that range? You may not understand or appreciate the differences now, and maybe you never will care to, which is fine. But, this thread is a lot about bang for buck if all things are equal. No one here is going to recommend those jeans, but if you're ok with that and with them, so be it.
Regarding fit, I stand by my previous advice. Everyone will have a different opinion, but no one aside from yourself is putting down the cash and actually wearing them. You're able to button them? You're able to move around in them comfortable? You like/don't like the rise? Do they feel painted on? etc. These questions are objective. Once you can answer them then you'll be able to nit pick what works and doesn't work for you.
Sometimes it's ridiculous how people will have such strong opinions of fit based on a single shitty picture of a pair of jeans on the first day of wear. It's like they've never heard of brands like APC.

The only reason I got these jeans is because they are the only selvage jeans that I could find in my area, and I looked around a lot.

I might use these to judge how APC New Standard or Rescues might fit.
post #17707 of 20778

I'm looking to get a couple new pairs of jeans and would like to find some newer brands. Most of the jeans I have now are just too big to wear anymore. I'm a 38 waist. Any suggestions?

post #17708 of 20778
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to replace some older bootcut jeans of the 7 and Rock and Republic variety with a couple of better made, slightly dressier, straight leg pairs. I'm 29, about 6'1, a natural 30 waist with slim legs. Looking for a straight slim, but definitely not skinny fit in both a medium and darker wash with minimal distressing, whiskering and plain back pocket designs.

From some reading around here, I think APC (New Standard or Petit Standard), J Brand (Kane), or Naked & Famous might be good brands to try on. Any thoughts or recommendations on any of these, or other names I should be looking at?

Also, I'm going to be in NY this weekend (from Toronto), are there any stores that carry all 3 of these brands so I could try them all on and compare fits in one place? Barney's sounds like they might, but not sure which location would be best.

Thanks everyone
post #17709 of 20778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56 View Post

The only reason I got these jeans is because they are the only selvage jeans that I could find in my area, and I looked around a lot.
I might use these to judge how APC New Standard or Rescues might fit.
But they're not selvage. Most countries have stores with mail order return policies. Not suggesting you buy five pairs and return four, but it can help narrow things down for you if you live in a remote area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRemillard View Post

I'm looking to get a couple new pairs of jeans and would like to find some newer brands. Most of the jeans I have now are just too big to wear anymore. I'm a 38 waist. Any suggestions?
Budget? If under $100, probably looking at ebay or Levi's at retail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Pro View Post

Hi Guys,
Any thoughts or recommendations on any of these, or other names I should be looking at?
Also, I'm going to be in NY this weekend (from Toronto), are there any stores that carry all 3 of these brands so I could try them all on and compare fits in one place? Barney's sounds like they might, but not sure which location would be best.
Thanks everyone
Toronto already has several stores that carry a number of brands you'd find in NYC (there's a list of affiliates on the right, Otis is one. Holt Renfrew, etc.)

Unless you're looking to drop $2-300+ USD, there's not much more you'll find in NYC. If you were going cheaper, maybe Uniqlo. The main Barney's has a decent selection, as do most co-ops that stock brands like Rag & Bone, Raleigh, and others besides the ones you've mentioned. The only brand/store I'd add to your list is RRL.
post #17710 of 20778
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

But they're not selvage. Most countries have stores with mail order return policies. Not suggesting you buy five pairs and return four, but it can help narrow things down for you if you live in a remote area.

Yeah I figured that out, anyways I do not live in a remote area I live in Minneapolis. Just not sure where too look for high end denim around here. I tried all the obvious spots.
post #17711 of 20778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56 View Post

Yeah I figured that out, anyways I do not live in a remote area I live in Minneapolis. Just not sure where too look for high end denim around here. I tried all the obvious spots.

On the right is a list of affiliates. Not only do most provide good deals and a great selection, but they offer great customer service. I'd look into them if I were you.
post #17712 of 20778
I'm looking for a pair of Nudie Thin Finn Dry Organic Ecru Embo. I am a natural 31 waist and I want a skinny (but not tight) fit, what size should I go for? I had a size 29/34 but that was too tight in the thighs, waist was okay though. I was thinking a 30/34 or even 31/34 because I heard these do not stretch that much in the legs, only waist. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!
post #17713 of 20778
I have the same pair of thinn finns and am a size 31 also. These fit true to size and are my favourite jeans. They've hardly stretched in the 3 years I've owned them.
post #17714 of 20778
Does anyone know anything about Levis mainline made-in-usa manufacturing? Is it USA or USA (And territories)? Google's failed me much.

Just ordered a pair of cone mills 501s on sale, but am starting to second guess myself; thinking maybe I should get something a little more artisan for a little more money. Knowing the process is an appeal for me, but the Levis were 125.

Thanks much.
post #17715 of 20778
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmpay View Post

Does anyone know anything about Levis mainline made-in-usa manufacturing? Is it USA or USA (And territories)? Google's failed me much.
Just ordered a pair of cone mills 501s on sale, but am starting to second guess myself; thinking maybe I should get something a little more artisan for a little more money. Knowing the process is an appeal for me, but the Levis were 125.
Thanks much.

You mean the MIUSA selvage stuff they sell direct from their site? The exact location is a good question. I know of a couple of factories Levi's uses in the States, including some in Puerto Rico if that's your worry. Not sure why it would be given that regardless of location they're a mass-produced, mass-market line, so there isn't exactly a weathered man in his 80s from NC behind the Singer that stitched up your jeans. For that level of attention/care or small-batch mentality, you'd definitely need to look into other brands.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.