or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1176

post #17626 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

The SL is the right cut, but if someone told me they wanted something better after owning a Toyota, my instinct wouldn't be to point them to a Honda dealership.
That is to say, APC isn't shoddily made and I think 3six puts out a great product for the price, but "next level" was kind of the clue to bump up to a nicer category.

Makes sense to me; I don't have enough experience with either to really know for sure but have seen both up close and just feel like the 3s has something the APC doesn't, but perhaps it's just a level of out-of-the-box visual refinement that someone like me (jeans and a sport coat) would want but a denim head would find irrelevant. To go on your analogy, I consider a $35k Lexus an upgrade from a $35k Toyota because I like the fact that it's a Lexus but if the true car nut wants an upgrade from that $35k Toyota they'll be searching for something else.
post #17627 of 20759
Thread Starter 
3six is a better pair of jeans, no question, but the bump in quality just isn't that much comparatively to a brand like RJB, Denime, etc. Arguably, however, 3six is on the level with LVC.

But there's a noticeable jump between the sub-$200 and the super-$200 categories that's different from within the same groups. In the sub, you definitely see stark differences (type of denim, origin, details) that determine value. In the super, I've likened it to different flavors from the same ice cream vendor because it's really the minute details that make the difference. If you want to continue with cars, you can find the best tricked out econo car that may have most of the bells and whistles, but it still doesn't make it a luxury brand. That's really the difference in a brand like 3six: it's meant to compete at a particular price range by packing as much punch as it can for its targeted audience.

It's far easier to explain to a lay person the +/- $200 rule of thumb as a measure of "quality" because there aren't too many jeans over that price that warrant an explanation or warning.
post #17628 of 20759
Wish 3Sixteen made jeans with wider thighs. Great denim
post #17629 of 20759
Whodini, do you have any experience with Left Field denim?

http://www.leftfieldnyc.net/category/denim
post #17630 of 20759
Thread Starter 
They're good. Not mind-blowing, but good. Not sure if anyone else has done the tweed blend that they use but it has an interesting hand.
post #17631 of 20759
Decided I want a new pair of raw's for my trip. Nothing too out of this world but something nice and solid. I picked up the made in america Levi's 501's and they've fucked with the rise so its not like the Levi's 501 STF's any more. Lower and more at hip level. Any one have a recommendation for something that fits similar to the 501 shrink to fits?
post #17632 of 20759
My Rogue Territory Dark Stanton's came in today and they are a touch too big. If I soak them will they shrink up a bit? It says they are sanforized I don't have a bathtub, can I throw them in my kitchen sink?
post #17633 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Decided I want a new pair of raw's for my trip. Nothing too out of this world but something nice and solid. I picked up the made in america Levi's 501's and they've fucked with the rise so its not like the Levi's 501 STF's any more. Lower and more at hip level. Any one have a recommendation for something that fits similar to the 501 shrink to fits?

The local Levi's here in vegas has STF selvage in the 501. Looked exactly like the Made in Mexico STF on the wall next to it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstyle View Post

My Rogue Territory Dark Stanton's came in today and they are a touch too big. If I soak them will they shrink up a bit? It says they are sanforized I don't have a bathtub, can I throw them in my kitchen sink?

Or a washing machine, fill it up and just let them sit. Even a bucket works.
post #17634 of 20759

I tried the Unbranded Skinny but the pockets were wayyy too small and tight, are the pockets equally as small and tight on the Taper cut?

post #17635 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Decided I want a new pair of raw's for my trip. Nothing too out of this world but something nice and solid. I picked up the made in america Levi's 501's and they've fucked with the rise so its not like the Levi's 501 STF's any more. Lower and more at hip level. Any one have a recommendation for something that fits similar to the 501 shrink to fits?

Are they the ones on the Levi's site now? What's the rise now? Also, do you know the other BiG style measurements? Been thinking of picking up a pair too
post #17636 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Are they the ones on the Levi's site now? What's the rise now? Also, do you know the other BiG style measurements? Been thinking of picking up a pair too

Thigh and leg seemed similar to the regular 501's. The rear rise was a bit shorter than the STF's. Also, they don't come in odd sizes, so the 36 was big in the waist. One of the things I love about the STF's - completely size adjustable.

El Arg - They have them here, but I can never find them in 35. I always find the colors in my size, just not the raw STF's.
post #17637 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

The local Levi's here in vegas has STF selvage in the 501. Looked exactly like the Made in Mexico STF on the wall next to it...
Or a washing machine, fill it up and just let them sit. Even a bucket works.

Will they shrink? I want them too.
post #17638 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

The SL is the right cut, but if someone told me they wanted something better after owning a Toyota, my instinct wouldn't be to point them to a Honda dealership.
That is to say, APC isn't shoddily made and I think 3six puts out a great product for the price, but "next level" was kind of the clue to bump up to a nicer category.
I feel like apc is by far the most over rated denim, there crap compared to the the construction and denim of iron heart say
post #17639 of 20759

They're also like half the price and most of the cuts are pretty nice; for what you pay you get a decent pair of jeans though they were a better value a few years ago.

post #17640 of 20759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerkg View Post

I feel like apc is by far the most over rated denim, there crap compared to the the construction and denim of iron heart say

That's your opinion, you're entitled to it. You speak of crappy construction, my observations indicate the opposite. I haven't heard a lot of users complaining of threads prematurely falling apart or popped rivets etc. Strangely it occurs more frequently on higher priced Japanese repro brands, which are held in high regard due to "top notch construction". Construction assessment should be based on function not on how many hidden rivets or chain stitches.

And of course le denim. Comparing a sub-$200 to a $400 jean. 12.5oz to 20ish oz... sigh...Although I do agree with you that APC uses crappy fabrics even for it's price point. Good fabric ain't supposed to stretch like that. But on the fade department APC has a good track record feedback from huge base of owners. For some good fading is also quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.