Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New gap denim Last post on 11/25/15 at 8:57pm in Streetwear and Denim
- How to stretch jeans? Last post on 2/17/14 at 10:14am in Streetwear and Denim
- Clothes to wear to a club/party? Last post on 6/15/07 at 11:59pm in Streetwear and Denim
- *4/30 Add* NWT Spurr Pipe Leg Denim/NWT BoO Trousers/QuoddyxSouthWillard/Etc. Last post on 4/30/11 at 1:44pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- sz 30 denims + ToJ varsity & moto Last post on 4/17/11 at 12:42pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & Hide
Last edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Denim and TrousersLast edited: 11/11/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1162
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17417 of 213153/2/12 at 3:06pmThread StarterQuote:There's a good thread on sufu about Leepros. You'll find the occasional link but I think a majority of the info that you'll want is offline. Loads of books have been written about the early days of denim, including Lee, but finding one that's Lee-specific might be more of a challenge.post #17418 of 213153/3/12 at 12:17pmpost #17419 of 213153/3/12 at 1:17pmpost #17420 of 213153/3/12 at 3:16pmpost #17421 of 213153/3/12 at 3:28pm
Quote:Originally Posted by whodini
What he said and you can't be serious. If anything, I'd have to call bullshit on your calves stretching out unless you bought corduroy jeggings and stuffed watermelons down them nightly.
Ah, the "how much will it cost the tailor in Anytown, Anycountry to do XYZ to my shit" question. I'll give you three guesses but you're asking the wrong question. You're assuming that any random tailor you know won't do a hack job to your jeans. Instead, think about getting in contact with a place/person that specializes in working with denim.
Well it's a 'jean' thread not a 'denim' thread, they're a jean cut with corduroy fabric so it was worth mentioning. And yeah, the calves really did stretch out, they were hugging my calves below the knee and now they're pretty loose. I have before/after pics somewhere. I might just sell them, they're really nice jeans just sized up from what I should have got.post #17422 of 213153/3/12 at 4:35pmThread StarterQuote:
So when you go to a jeans store, it's wall to wall corduroy? By definition, jeans are made of denim. The word "jeans" itself specifically comes from a term regarding the blue fabric of Genoa.
Just stop. You're embarrassing us both.post #17423 of 213153/3/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
I think it's hard to gear a mens' cut towards a woman unless you're going for a "boyfriend" look.
Self Edge sells a few cuts geared towards women. Nudie, Rag & Bone, and APC would be good places to check. Sufu has a decent thread on denim for girls but the general consensus is that there just isn't the same focus on denim quality for women as there is for men.
One idea is to simply go the custom route, like Jack/Knife.post #17424 of 213153/3/12 at 7:06pmpost #17425 of 213153/4/12 at 1:14amX-Post from Small Questions.Quote:OK, apologies in advance as I know similar questions have probably been asked countless times before. Unfortunately forum searches are still quite rudimentary. Anyway, I'm looking for some new black skinny jeans. The criteria I'm looking for are slim/skinny fit (~6.5" - 7" hem) with some kind of stretch material (preferably polyurethane, but elastane is fine) and higher quality denim and construction (though it need not be super nice selvage, etc). I realize that there is plenty that fit this criteria. In fact, I was looking at N&F power stretch skinny guy or whatever and the price is definitely right on those...BUT I kind of like the idea of a bit more uniqueness to them (and am willing to pay more for such), even if it is not all that significant of a variance. I like these DBSS for example: http://zozotown.com/shop/midwest/goods.html?gid=1370044&did= .
I don't, however, really like the idea of paying over $250 for something not all that special that is non-returnable. The fit on those is precisely what I'm look for and the details are nice (albeit minor), though. J-shaped denim really intrigues me but I am not sure if such a thing exists that's not 100% cotton (I'm a sucker for immediate comfort without break-in). Also, I already own a pair of Acne Max Cash. I'm looking to replace them. I found the hem to be a tad wider than what I want. I would simply have them altered but I got a size too large as I thought sizing up would be a good idea. It wasn't, so the jeans are simply too big in general. Now I want something a bit different from that (especially since I own another pair of Acne Max's in a different wash).post #17426 of 213153/4/12 at 2:08am
Alright, i'm looking to spend about $100 (or less) on a new pair of jeans. I prefer a very dark blue wash that will take a long time to fade. I'm not a fan of "skinny" jeans but i am a slender man so they should be on the slim side. Levi's 511's are the skinniest jeans i'll wear. The other day I tried on a pair of joe's jeans in the brixton fit that i liked if that gives you a better idea of the fit i'm going for. Right now all my jeans are levi's with a couple pairs from calvin klein and i could really use a wardrobe upgrade! i tend to prefer plainer pants without weird stitching or anything. oh, i'm 6'2, 162lbs if that means anything to you. any suggestions would be appreciated!
edit - i live in Portland, OR (USA)post #17427 of 213153/4/12 at 7:51amThread StarterQuote:
If you're already at the basic 511 level then going up to $100 is useless unless that's the top of your budget for discounted jeans, and even then you might be cutting it a little close. There's nothing to recommend at retail in that range. You should either plan on spending a little more or resign yourself to bargain hunting.
In terms of brands, you can look here (http://www.styleforum.net/t/157881/non-apc-sub-200-raw-selvage-denim-options/0_50 ) as those brands will typically be found on sale or on B&S/ebay for around $100. On ebay, you can typically find brands like Lee 101, RRL, and Rag & Bone readily for cheap.post #17428 of 213153/4/12 at 8:26ampost #17429 of 213153/4/12 at 8:29amThread Starter
- I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 5 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 7 minutes ago
- › I think I hate San Francisco. 8 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 11 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 21 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 22 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.