Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New gap denim Last post on Yesterday at 7:05 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- How to stretch jeans? Last post on 2/17/14 at 10:14am in Streetwear and Denim
- Clothes to wear to a club/party? Last post on 6/15/07 at 11:59pm in Streetwear and Denim
- *4/30 Add* NWT Spurr Pipe Leg Denim/NWT BoO Trousers/QuoddyxSouthWillard/Etc. Last post on 4/30/11 at 1:44pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- sz 30 denims + ToJ varsity & moto Last post on 4/17/11 at 12:42pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
What I Learned from Slim Denim
Last edited: 12/21/14
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring (Hint: Jeans Are Not...Last edited: 5/11/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1162
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17417 of 211183/2/12 at 3:06pmThread StarterQuote:There's a good thread on sufu about Leepros. You'll find the occasional link but I think a majority of the info that you'll want is offline. Loads of books have been written about the early days of denim, including Lee, but finding one that's Lee-specific might be more of a challenge.post #17418 of 211183/3/12 at 12:17pmpost #17419 of 211183/3/12 at 1:17pmpost #17420 of 211183/3/12 at 3:16pmpost #17421 of 211183/3/12 at 3:28pm
Quote:Originally Posted by whodini
What he said and you can't be serious. If anything, I'd have to call bullshit on your calves stretching out unless you bought corduroy jeggings and stuffed watermelons down them nightly.
Ah, the "how much will it cost the tailor in Anytown, Anycountry to do XYZ to my shit" question. I'll give you three guesses but you're asking the wrong question. You're assuming that any random tailor you know won't do a hack job to your jeans. Instead, think about getting in contact with a place/person that specializes in working with denim.
Well it's a 'jean' thread not a 'denim' thread, they're a jean cut with corduroy fabric so it was worth mentioning. And yeah, the calves really did stretch out, they were hugging my calves below the knee and now they're pretty loose. I have before/after pics somewhere. I might just sell them, they're really nice jeans just sized up from what I should have got.post #17422 of 211183/3/12 at 4:35pmThread StarterQuote:
So when you go to a jeans store, it's wall to wall corduroy? By definition, jeans are made of denim. The word "jeans" itself specifically comes from a term regarding the blue fabric of Genoa.
Just stop. You're embarrassing us both.post #17423 of 211183/3/12 at 4:41pmThread StarterQuote:
I think it's hard to gear a mens' cut towards a woman unless you're going for a "boyfriend" look.
Self Edge sells a few cuts geared towards women. Nudie, Rag & Bone, and APC would be good places to check. Sufu has a decent thread on denim for girls but the general consensus is that there just isn't the same focus on denim quality for women as there is for men.
One idea is to simply go the custom route, like Jack/Knife.post #17424 of 211183/3/12 at 7:06pmpost #17425 of 211183/4/12 at 1:14amX-Post from Small Questions.Quote:OK, apologies in advance as I know similar questions have probably been asked countless times before. Unfortunately forum searches are still quite rudimentary. Anyway, I'm looking for some new black skinny jeans. The criteria I'm looking for are slim/skinny fit (~6.5" - 7" hem) with some kind of stretch material (preferably polyurethane, but elastane is fine) and higher quality denim and construction (though it need not be super nice selvage, etc). I realize that there is plenty that fit this criteria. In fact, I was looking at N&F power stretch skinny guy or whatever and the price is definitely right on those...BUT I kind of like the idea of a bit more uniqueness to them (and am willing to pay more for such), even if it is not all that significant of a variance. I like these DBSS for example: http://zozotown.com/shop/midwest/goods.html?gid=1370044&did= .
I don't, however, really like the idea of paying over $250 for something not all that special that is non-returnable. The fit on those is precisely what I'm look for and the details are nice (albeit minor), though. J-shaped denim really intrigues me but I am not sure if such a thing exists that's not 100% cotton (I'm a sucker for immediate comfort without break-in). Also, I already own a pair of Acne Max Cash. I'm looking to replace them. I found the hem to be a tad wider than what I want. I would simply have them altered but I got a size too large as I thought sizing up would be a good idea. It wasn't, so the jeans are simply too big in general. Now I want something a bit different from that (especially since I own another pair of Acne Max's in a different wash).post #17426 of 211183/4/12 at 2:08am
Alright, i'm looking to spend about $100 (or less) on a new pair of jeans. I prefer a very dark blue wash that will take a long time to fade. I'm not a fan of "skinny" jeans but i am a slender man so they should be on the slim side. Levi's 511's are the skinniest jeans i'll wear. The other day I tried on a pair of joe's jeans in the brixton fit that i liked if that gives you a better idea of the fit i'm going for. Right now all my jeans are levi's with a couple pairs from calvin klein and i could really use a wardrobe upgrade! i tend to prefer plainer pants without weird stitching or anything. oh, i'm 6'2, 162lbs if that means anything to you. any suggestions would be appreciated!
edit - i live in Portland, OR (USA)post #17427 of 211183/4/12 at 7:51amThread StarterQuote:
If you're already at the basic 511 level then going up to $100 is useless unless that's the top of your budget for discounted jeans, and even then you might be cutting it a little close. There's nothing to recommend at retail in that range. You should either plan on spending a little more or resign yourself to bargain hunting.
In terms of brands, you can look here (http://www.styleforum.net/t/157881/non-apc-sub-200-raw-selvage-denim-options/0_50 ) as those brands will typically be found on sale or on B&S/ebay for around $100. On ebay, you can typically find brands like Lee 101, RRL, and Rag & Bone readily for cheap.post #17428 of 211183/4/12 at 8:26ampost #17429 of 211183/4/12 at 8:29amThread Starter
- I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › NWT Ernest Alexander Watson Briefcase (Brown/Tan) Waxed Canvas (2... 2 seconds ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › NWT Ernest Alexander Watson Briefcase (Brown/Tan) Waxed Canvas (2... 4 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...