or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 1064

post #15946 of 20888
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon View Post

but, if you're really/seriously considering fading them in from raw yourself, i suggest getting, at least, some fast-faders like APC, Flathead, or Samurai [esp, zero & xx denim]. nonetheless, you still need to put in, at least, 3 mos worth of effective wear on them to make it worth your while.

alright, i actually am considering it. i do want to fade my own. i just dont want them to get really smelly and dirty or funky and gunky.. thats just the one thing that comes to mind lol, but im sure there are methods to take care of them.

so if i wanted to go with good quality 300$ raw jeans i should go with.... samurais? anything better for the price?

im looking at this site:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=0&keyword=&manufacturer_id=10&Itemid=62&orderby=product_price&limit=50&limitstart=0

im just really unsure of what the difference between the multiple ones they have on the site is.. im fit, 6 feet 165lbs and size 32 fits loose on me. idk what else to say or where to look, hoping you guys can help.
post #15947 of 20888

Recently I bought a couple of pairs of Nudie Slim Jims and had them hemmed so they fall perfectly at my shoes.  But I've never washed them, and now -- der -- I realize they might shrink.  Am I screwed?  Does anyone know how this particular denim behaves in the laundry?  Is there a preservation strategy I can adopt, besides never washing them?

post #15948 of 20888
Kind of an odd question - is hip flare something that a tailor can remedy? I have a pair and I love the denim and fit everywhere else, but the flaring in the hips is really bad. I've soaked them and they've softened up, but it hasn't gone down. Any recommendations?
post #15949 of 20888
Hey guys just some quick denim advice...

My weird guys are on their way to retirement and I'm thinking about my next pair of raws. I bought some new cures but I'm not crazy about them. I liked the cut of the weird cut but I'd like something with a little more rise. Any recommendations for something new and high quality thats nice and slim but maybe less tapered and slightly higher rise?

I'm considering: APC NS, 3sixteen sl-100x, skinnyguy, japan blue momo 701

Any advice?
post #15950 of 20888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsanforized View Post

Recently I bought a couple of pairs of Nudie Slim Jims and had them hemmed so they fall perfectly at my shoes.  But I've never washed them, and now -- der -- I realize they might shrink.  Am I screwed?  Does anyone know how this particular denim behaves in the laundry?  Is there a preservation strategy I can adopt, besides never washing them?


dry cleaner... as lame as that sounds. And BTW dry cleaning won't get bad odors out!

I say wear the shit out of them, and don't worry about washing em. If they start to stink leave them outside on a non-rainy day (I say that cos I'm in Seattle biggrin.gif ) and let fresh air do its thang.
post #15951 of 20888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True View Post

so if i wanted to go with good quality 300$ raw jeans i should go with.... samurais? anything better for the price?
Like with anything else, once you get to a certain price range it all becomes a matter of personal preference more than one product being inherently better than another. Brands sold by Self Edge and BiG have customers (like IIIrd) that will buy just about anything in that range because it's all quality, and you'll find people that are happy sticking to specific brand because of the fit, denim, etc.

My advice would be to nail down what fit you want. The other details at this point are gravy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsanforized View Post

Am I screwed?

No. In an irony of ironies, your jeans are unlike your user name: they're sanforized. Hopefully, if you picked out a term like "unsanforized" you'll understand the difference between the two and understand that shrinking will be minimal if you wash them in cold water. Even then, you can stretch the legs out while wet to get back whatever little bit you may have lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybag0dohnutz View Post

Kind of an odd question - is hip flare something that a tailor can remedy?
I've heard of mixed results. It comes down to how much flare you have and how good your tailor is. But I do have a friend that was able to take some off and was happy with the outcome so ymmv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried_eggs View Post

Any recommendations for something new and high quality thats nice and slim but maybe less tapered and slightly higher rise?

I'm considering: APC NS, 3sixteen sl-100x, skinnyguy, japan blue momo 701

Any advice?
If all is similar enough, my vote would always be for the jeans with the best denim (momo).
post #15952 of 20888
Just bought these online, are these fakes or why there are only R at logo?

logorut.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #15953 of 20888

Will ironing my 2 month old APC PS' damage them at all/will I get weird fading? I was thinking ironing might help the "knee boob" area go back to being flat.

 

Also, will ironing make the jeans any softer?  They are still really stiff.

post #15954 of 20888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Will ironing my 2 month old APC PS' damage them at all/will I get weird fading? I was thinking ironing might help the "knee boob" area go back to being flat.

 

Also, will ironing make the jeans any softer?  They are still really stiff.


Probably not. Just keep wearing them and don't worry about the knee area. As soon as you've ironed it out it'll come right back again.
post #15955 of 20888
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

Will ironing my 2 month old APC PS' damage them at all/will I get weird fading? I was thinking ironing might help the "knee boob" area go back to being flat.

 

Also, will ironing make the jeans any softer?  They are still really stiff.


It won't do anything unless you plan on never bending your knees ever again.

The more you wear them the less stiff they will become. Try not to obsess over silly stuff.
post #15956 of 20888

Anyone know what kind of shrinkage I will get out of a pair of Raleigh denim with nice, hot soak?

 

I am only about 2 weeks into my pair, and I'm not going to do the first soak for at LEAST six months, however when the time does come I would really like to shrink it down basically as much as possible.  The jeans fit fine now, but they aren't as slim as what I was planning on getting, I can't seem to find any info on whether the denim they use (White Oak? Something like that...) and whether it is standardized or not.

post #15957 of 20888

I just bought a pair of Unbranded jeans (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=16917882&color=092&itemdescription=true&navAction=jump&search=true&isProduct=true&parentid=M_APP_JEANS) and they are pretty tight in the waist. Like it's a struggle to button the top button, but they are perfect if I leave it unbuttoned. I've seen a lot of mixed statements of how much jeans stretch as you wear them, so I'm wondering if these will stretch enough, or if I should go for the next size up?

post #15958 of 20888
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpit View Post

Anyone know what kind of shrinkage I will get out of a pair of Raleigh denim with nice, hot soak?

 

I am only about 2 weeks into my pair, and I'm not going to do the first soak for at LEAST six months, however when the time does come I would really like to shrink it down basically as much as possible.  The jeans fit fine now, but they aren't as slim as what I was planning on getting, I can't seem to find any info on whether the denim they use (White Oak? Something like that...) and whether it is standardized or not.

I just got through telling a dude:

"No. In an irony of ironies, your jeans are unlike your user name: they're sanforized. Hopefully, if you picked out a term like "unsanforized" you'll understand the difference between the two and understand that shrinking will be minimal if you wash them in cold water. Even then, you can stretch the legs out while wet to get back whatever little bit you may have lost. "

The rule of thumb is that if you're not sure if your jeans are sanforized or not, they ARE. Most brands don't like to fuck around with a customer's expectations, ie, minimal shrinkage. LVC and the repro brands try to cater to more knowledgeable clients but a brand pushed out at Barney's? Yeah, no.

Also, knowing the mill will not help you figure out if they're sanforized or not. Cone's White Oak makes both sanforized and unsanforized denim.
post #15959 of 20888
hey sfers, I am thinking of going for a pair of black Edwin Ed-71, Does anyone know about the fit of this denim especially with any experience with stretching waitlines. The last pair of Edwin EC-55 I owned stretched from a waist 33 to 36:mad:. This has really put me of Edwin but I spotted this black Edwin ED 71 and I really need a black denim. So i am a bit worried about this ED-71 doing the same and if so, I was thinking of getting a size to two sizes down so when it stretches out it fits me better. I am not worried about the length just the waist. COuld anyone let me know if these do stretch out drastically at the waist. Thanks.

My measurements - waist 33 L34
post #15960 of 20888
3sixteen's: size down or not?

The st-100x fit basically perfectly TTS, which has me concerned what'll happen after about 20 wears....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.