or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here. - Page 975

post #14611 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Quack View Post
Is the denim unsanforized? If yes, then you should be soaking them anyway.

Even if the denim is sanforized, soaking while have cause some minimal shrinkage. So when you say "a little large" how "large" do you actually mean?

Not positive if they are unsanforized, will have to check when I am home. The jeans are a 32 inch waist, I usually wear a 31, and most times would be more likely to squeeze into a 30 than upsize to a 32. They are ok to wear with a belt but I would like to have them fit well without a belt too. If it makes any difference in deciding to soak them, I don't plan on doing the wear everyday method. They will get enough wear over time to break in, but I really don't mind the look of less worn jeans. Thanks for the help.
post #14612 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Just wondering, how can you say that one is "objectively" better when both are pretty miserable choices, especially given that the OP is clearly looking for a bargain basement deal? It's like saying that the '85 Ford Fiesta is pound-for-pound better than a '85 Yugo.

Did you even think through what you wrote?

Jeans aren't divided into 1. Momotaro and Sugar Cane 2. everything else is shit. Being worse than other jeans doesn't somehow make Unbranded incapable of being a better deal than any other jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Frankly, if I came on here not knowing anything about jeans (as in the OP's case) and someone recommended to me Unbranded as the best jeans under $100, I might be slightly pissed a few months down the line when I find out that RRL can be found on ebay/online and on here for under $100, as can other major brands like KMW, Jean Shop, LVC, Rogue Territory, etc.

You can find plenty of better jeans on sale, yes. It's not, however, very relevant to name every single brand you can think of that could have been marked down. Technically, it's possible to look for a pair of Samurais under $100. In that case, you might as well make a list of 'best jeans' and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
No offense to you, I'm sure you're very happy with your purchase, but blind leading the blind, bro.

Was an ad hominem attack really necessary? If you're insinuating Unbranded and Gap are the only brands of jeans I have, I've used Kohzo, Diors, APCs, Iron Hearts, Momotaros, and Sugar Canes, amongst others.

And don't say 'no offense' and proceed to insult someone, all it does is give you the psychological leverage to convince yourself you're not being insulting.
post #14613 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber View Post
Not positive if they are unsanforized, will have to check when I am home. The jeans are a 32 inch waist, I usually wear a 31, and most times would be more likely to squeeze into a 30 than upsize to a 32. They are ok to wear with a belt but I would like to have them fit well without a belt too. If it makes any difference in deciding to soak them, I don't plan on doing the wear everyday method. They will get enough wear over time to break in, but I really don't mind the look of less worn jeans. Thanks for the help.

If you tell us what the jeans are, we would be able to tell you if they are sanforized or not.
post #14614 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler View Post
If you tell us what the jeans are, we would be able to tell you if they are sanforized or not.

JCrew 484's
post #14615 of 20886
Thread Starter 
LOL@ Link. No, Unbranded is just shit, plain and simple. N&F isn't that great to begin with so pardon my logic but a made-for-UO diffusion label isn't going to be... better. If you can't figure that out after owning IHs or SCs then I feel sorry for you. And if you can't figure out why it's a horrible deal to readily pick up a pair at retail than to suggest to someone to wait for a deal on a better pair of jeans, then you're retarded. I specifically named those brands because they've been recently available for under $100. RRL goes for cheap on ebay all the time, Blue Owl has sold KMW for around the $100 mark on sale many times on the e-shop and here in b&s, etc. I specifically didn't mention Japanese repro brands because they're harder to find on sale since they hold their retail value more. It's not very relevant to simply name two awful brands at retail as if they're the only route a person has to choose, especially when he clearly doesn't know better. Sorry if you couldn't read through my thinly-veiled sarcasm but I assumed the advice you were giving to the guy was out of sheer sadistic tendencies.
post #14616 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber View Post
JCrew 484's

I'm not extremely familiar with that model, but some quick research told me that it is J. Crew's collaboration with Warehouse. I would guess that the denim is sanforized, otherwise a shrinkage warning would be present on the J. Crew website where they are selling these.
post #14617 of 20886
Hey guys,

I want to get a nice piece of raw denim.
Thought about Dior Raw 21cm low waiste because it's "affordable" with its 215€ (~306$).
Can some one tell me about the sizing of dior jeans? I usually wear either 29" or 30".
Or are APC jeans maybe a better pick?

BTW this is my first raw jeans, I usually wear Diesel prewashed jeans atm (Viker/Larkee).
post #14618 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler View Post
I'm not extremely familiar with that model, but some quick research told me that it is J. Crew's collaboration with Warehouse. I would guess that the denim is sanforized, otherwise a shrinkage warning would be present on the J. Crew website where they are selling these.

Sanforized means that it won't shrink much if I soaked them then?

Also, I think we may be talking about two different things. There is a "Lot 484 Warehouse" jean on their website, but there is also just several types of 484 slim fit jeans as a style of jean.
post #14619 of 20886
Hi Guys, Just getting into jeans and learning a lot from this thread. I got some Levis 511s; and like the cut alot (514 is too baggy for me) but the fabric and construction is not so great. Could anyone recommend a manufacturer/model with similar cut to the 511 with at least 36" inseam but with higher quality or selvedge? I do like the 2% spandex too .... Michael
post #14620 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber View Post
Sanforized means that it won't shrink much if I soaked them then?

Yes, sanforization is a "magic of science" process that drastically reduces shrinking from washing.

Quote:
Also, I think we may be talking about two different things. There is a "Lot 484 Warehouse" jean on their website, but there is also just several types of 484 slim fit jeans as a style of jean.

Either way, they're most certainly sanforized, so it'd probably be in your best interest to get a size down.
post #14621 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber View Post
Newbie to raw denim question. I have a pair which are a little large at the waist. Do I A) return them and search for a pair a size down, or B) soak them to shrink a little bit, and then carry on as planned? Does a quick soak to shrink the size of the demin violate the no washing for X amount of time rule? And if so, rules aside is it really going to negatively effect my breaking in of the jeans?
i guess it really depends on how large they are. generally, raw denim will shrink with a wash but will of course stretch out. how much it stretches will depend on the denim and how much pressure they are under. generally, if you dont like the fit pre-soak you wont like the fit long term because the denim can, in some cases, stretch back out to their raw state. what jean did you get? we might be of more help if we know the denim ...
post #14622 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
LOL@ Link. No, Unbranded is just shit, plain and simple. N&F isn't that great to begin with so pardon my logic but a made-for-UO diffusion label isn't going to be... better. If you can't figure that out after owning IHs or SCs then I feel sorry for you. And if you can't figure out why it's a horrible deal to readily pick up a pair at retail than to suggest to someone to wait for a deal on a better pair of jeans, then you're retarded.
You haven't tried out either Unbranded or Gap, have you?More importantly though, this site might be of some assistance to you. I'll type the rest of this post in bullet points so it's more easily accessible, since you seem to have some severe comprehension problems. 1. Unbranded is IMO, and I feel, objectively, better than Gap's line. This is something that holds true regardless of the quality of other, better jeans. The quality of Iron Hearts has no effect on the comparison between Unbranded and Gap. Dyou understand? They are 3 different brands of jeans. THREE. 2. I've never stated that Unbranded is better than any pair of jeans other than the Gap line the OP brought up. 3. It's fair to assume that he wants to get some jeans now, in which case it'd be easier to buy some readily available ones than to wait for Kohzos to go on sale for $20. If he brought up Gap, I think it's also safe to assume that Unbranded will be a step up from whatever jeans he's currently wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
I specifically named those brands because they've been recently available for under $100. RRL goes for cheap on ebay all the time, Blue Owl has sold KMW for around the $100 mark on sale many times on the e-shop and here in b&s, etc. I specifically didn't mention Japanese repro brands because they're harder to find on sale since they hold their retail value more. It's not very relevant to simply name two awful brands at retail as if they're the only route a person has to choose, especially when he clearly doesn't know better.
4. Refer to #3 with respect to availability. 5. I named Unbranded and Naked&Famous. N&F is in no way awful. 6. My posts aren't definitive compendiums of knowledge. I'm under no obligation to provide all the possible jeans routes, simply because it's literally impossible to list all of them out. I offered an alternative that I thought was better. Did Knisse's suggestion of APC mean he thought that was the only pair one should buy? Or are your jeans the only possible routes one can take? It's your decision to spit on Unbranded or otherwise, but saying the suggestions is not relevant is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
Sorry if you couldn't read through my thinly-veiled sarcasm but I assumed the advice you were giving to the guy was out of sheer sadistic tendencies.
I don't think 'blind leading the blind' could be construed by anyone as being a knock on trolling. Do you understand what the saying actually means?
post #14623 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Quack View Post
Yes, sanforization is a "magic of science" process that drastically reduces shrinking from washing.

Either way, they're most certainly sanforized, so it'd probably be in your best interest to get a size down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
i guess it really depends on how large they are. generally, raw denim will shrink with a wash but will of course stretch out. how much it stretches will depend on the denim and how much pressure they are under. generally, if you dont like the fit pre-soak you wont like the fit long term because the denim can, in some cases, stretch back out to their raw state. what jean did you get? we might be of more help if we know the denim ...

Since they are only sold in 30 and 32 inch waists, and since 32 is loose on me, I'll have to go see if the 30 inch waist fits me better. Should I assume that if the 30's are a little tight, that they will be more likely to stretch to a good fit than the 32's are to shrink to a good fit? Or if the 30's are tight, find someone else who sells a 31 or better fitting jean? Whatever, they are JCrew 484 slim fit raw's. Thanks to both for your help.
post #14624 of 20886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bananagrabber View Post
Since they are only sold in 30 and 32 inch waists, and since 32 is loose on me, I'll have to go see if the 30 inch waist fits me better. Should I assume that if the 30's are a little tight, that they will be more likely to stretch to a good fit than the 32's are to shrink to a good fit? Or if the 30's are tight, find someone else who sells a 31 or better fitting jean? Whatever, they are JCrew 484 slim fit raw's. Thanks to both for your help.

that will work. i wish i new about that denim, but like i said it is likely to stretch out at least some (maybe an inch) in the waist. i have a felling the 30s will work a little better. even if they are somewhat tight you know they will stretch out, which is what you want.

good luck.
post #14625 of 20886
Yo whodini, why is N&F garbage in your opinion? Is this just a personal preference thing with you or are there some criteria you're using? I only ask because I've seen you rip on the brand before but never see you give any reasons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.