• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Royce owners club

Mustapha

Reaction score
Would like to beat them with one. Best laugh I've had all day.
laugh.gif

http://www.rroctexas.com/RROCTX/Phot...2005/Royce.htm

magnus_h

Reaction score
Umm, I don't get it. What's wrong with a bunch of people enjoying their old Rolls Royce's?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe he is offended by all the notch lapel dinner jackets?

K

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was the Stetson's.

The shots with all the Rollers on the street were pretty neat.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Note the Hallmark store napkins next to the "birthday" cake (that's ******* weird BTW). What a classy party.
DSCF2959.JPG

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I highly suspect one of the housefraus decorated that cake herself--no professional bakery would put out a cake with such crooked lettering.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted this 'cause it seems crass and full of class selfishness of the worst kind. And they stuck it up on the 'net, see? Sorry if it seemed mean spirited to anyone.

In the nabe and time I grew up in we would have keyed or egged the cars.

I'm not advocating class struggle here; but I can't stand insufferable show offs - I mean - to invite scads of rollie owners to your house - so your neighbours can see - wtf?

-Moose

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm involved with literary and other groups that host similar events -- one in particular does a party on the author of interest's birthday. The difference there is they only bring books to display, which the neighbors don't really see.

I don't see this as all that different -- it doesn't have the air of "flagrant display of wealth" -- many of the cars are older Rolls, and not extravagently expensive compared, to, say a 500- series Mercedes. The pictures we put up on the web of our event are for members who couldn't attend, mainly, and for the attendees to show to their friends and such. They really don't look snooty, and it doesn't seem all that snooty affair, with the metal chairs and no catering staff.

~ Huntsman

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at some of the other houses on the block I'm sure the residents could have afforded a Rolls if they really wanted
tounge.gif

I know if I was a neighbor I'd be out in the street taking pictures.

JB

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Hey guys,

I posted this 'cause it seems crass and full of class selfishness of the worst kind. And they stuck it up on the 'net, see? Sorry if it seemed mean spirited to anyone.

In the nabe and time I grew up in we would have keyed or egged the cars.

I'm not advocating class struggle here; but I can't stand insufferable show offs - I mean - to invite scads of rollie owners to your house - so your neighbours can see - wtf?

-Moose

And you would have been seen as the asshole kid who scratched up a car that someone might have been saving a very long time for, just so they could enjoy life. I've been to exotic car meets, and it is really just a bunch of individuals just enjoying the cars that they have purchased. I also do hear about asshole kids scratching the paint on these cars, and the bill at times can be very expensive. No need to ruin someone else's happiness.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think this is a very egregious sort of meet-up. I think Rolls Royces have earned an association with a particularly odious brand of elitism much like how BMWs have earned an association with upstart banker assholes--not alway justified, and sometimes outdated.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
This is pretty much like any car meet anywhere. Having grown up in a family of classic car collectors whose friends were classic car collectors (classic by this definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic...ca_Definition), I really don't get why this Rolls owners' shindig would elicit a response like the OP's.

The mere thought of someone keying a car out of some perceived "elitism" angers me. Doing anything like that is completely inexcusable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads