or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Nehru suits & european royalty/nobility
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nehru suits & european royalty/nobility

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have seen numerous recent photos of titled and/or rich Europeans  (Prince Ernst-August of Hanover, Taki, various Habsburgs are good examples) sporting band collar suits and sport coats. The look strikes me as hideous but I'm still intrigued. Who manufactures these suits and is this style a recent revival or something that has never gone out of style in continental Europe? Thanks for any info.
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
Anyone?
post #3 of 11
It is a fairly old tradition for formal jackets and suits to have stand up collars - indeed, this precedes the jacket with lapels. Many military units' formal dress, as well as royal/aristrocratic dress uniforms use these jackets. I'm pretty sure that in that context they never went out of fashion. Here's a picture to illustrate my point - One note: The term Nehru jacket is correctly used for a jacket with a stand up collar that extends to the knees - I have never seen this worn outside the Indian sub-continent. Edited to add pic.
post #4 of 11
Wish I could help, but the look is not popular here in Gopher Prairie. . . . On the other hand, if Taki's doin' it, it's jake with me.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
It is a fairly old tradition for formal jackets and suits to have stand up collars - indeed, this precedes the jacket with lapels. Many military units' formal dress, as well as royal/aristrocratic dress uniforms use these jackets. I'm pretty sure that in that context they never went out of fashion. Here's a picture to illustrate my point - One note: The term Nehru jacket is correctly used for a jacket with a stand up collar that extends to the knees - I have never seen this worn outside the Indian sub-continent. Edited to add pic.
Thanks for the information. I actually wasn't speaking of uniforms that would be worn specifically on state occasions, though it now makes sense to me that that is where the style originates. Here is a recent photo of Prince Kraft zu Hohenlohe and the Duke of Wuerttemberg if you want an example of the style of suit I'm speaking of. German Royals
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Here is a recent photo of Prince Kraft zu Hohenlohe and the Duke of Wuerttemberg if you want an example of the style of suit I'm speaking of. German Royals
Ye Gads. Take it away.
post #7 of 11
Your example photo shows pretty typical alpine wear, which is worn for hunting, skiing etc. in Germanic alpine areas. Will
post #8 of 11
Quote:
if you want an example of the style of suit I'm speaking of. German Royals
That looks terrible, the sleeves aren't even tailored correctly.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Your example photo shows pretty typical alpine wear, which is worn for hunting, skiing etc. in Germanic alpine areas.
Will is right. This is the local folk dress, which is very popular in the alpine regions of Bavaria and Austria. The generic term is "Tracht". It is not only worn for sport, but also for social events. You can even have a "Tracht"-version of a dinner jacket (tuxedo). To see what kind of things are available, here is the website of the firm of Loden Plankl (the top house in this field) in Vienna: http://www.loden-plankl.at/ Another thing, this style is capable of being fashionably reinvented every season. It is amazing what the design department of a firm like Schneiders in Salzburg can come up with year after year. It is to Bavaria and Austria the same as Cowboy and Western dress is to Texas. One reason why this style is very popular with German aristocracy is that German aristocracy, unlike the English upper classes, was always very keen to show their local roots. They would have dressed in the local fashion and spoken the local dialect.
post #10 of 11
Did anybody see Glenn Obrien's bit in the most recent GQ/Style Guy about the bespoke Anderson & Sheppard Nehru suits? A drape cut Nehru suit - got to see that.
post #11 of 11
I have been to numerous meetings in Munich and Vienna where somebody was wearing these suits. I have also been to corporate sponsered tables at Octoberfest in munich where almost everybody was dressed this way. on the other hand, you often see people in India, Africa and the Middle East coming to business meetings in traditional style clothes. some people want to show off their cultural heritage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Nehru suits & european royalty/nobility