or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bedroom with high ceiling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bedroom with high ceiling

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
My bedroom has a high (approximately 9 1/2 feet) ceiling and drapes that run roughly from the floor to the ceiling on the wall adjacent to the head of the bed. I am looking at getting a real bed (right now just have frame, boxspring, and mattress). I am debating between a low bed with short headboard that will accentuate the height of the ceiling and a taller bed with prominent headboard that will downplay it. For those of you with similarly tall bedroom ceilings, what direction did you go?
post #2 of 22
I'm moving in with my fiancée in a few weeks, into a flat where the ceiling has been lowered by about a foot or slightly more, by a sort of white plastic sheet. It looks OK in and of itself, in the sense that it's clean and there are no blemishes or folds on it. but it's definitely going. Besides the argument about heating, I've never understood why people lower ceilings. And I sleep with an open window year-round anyway.
post #3 of 22
we have a bed about 2 feet off the ground, with a padded bedboard about 5 feet off the ground. we have high ceilings, I'd say 11 feet, maybe. we have 2 prints hanging above the bed, each about 2 feet high, which covers some of the empty space.
post #4 of 22
Our ceilings are of similar height, and we sleep on a super low bed. I find it nicer to sleep low to the ground, but ymmv. We have windows behind our bed, so it breaks up the wall.
post #5 of 22
my ceilings are 10ft and my mattress is still on the ground. I bought a super thick mattress and haven't been able to find a bed I really liked to go with it until just this month. I like low-profile beds. The bed I am probably going to buy has a very high rectangular headboard in tufted leather like a barcelona chair.

It's apparently girly but I also really like canopy beds. I don't mean one with pretty wrought iron or fancy woodwork, but a modern one with simple straight lines and a thin frame can look really good in a room with high ceilings imo.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
my ceilings are 10ft and my mattress is still on the ground. I bought a super thick mattress and haven't been able to find a bed I really liked to go with it until just this month. I like low-profile beds. The bed I am probably going to buy has a very high rectangular headboard in tufted leather like a barcelona chair.

It's apparently girly but I also really like canopy beds. I don't mean one with pretty wrought iron or fancy woodwork, but a modern one with simple straight lines and a thin frame can look really good in a room with high ceilings imo.

+25 on the canopy with the straight lines and thin frame. Awesome! A canopy like that really isn't girly at all, IMO.

Also, if you're looking at just getting a headboard, I love this: http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct....t-SKY1063.html

And I'm definitely feelin this one: http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct....09-WE2476.html


Those are both big bitches and they'd downplay the the height of the ceiling. It'd have a cool effect, I think. It'd make the room look more regular sized, but when you were in it and moving around you'd still notice how large it is. Very cool
post #7 of 22
My bedroom ceiling is 16 feet and I love it. I'm claustrophobic (sp?) and I like looking up and around and having all that space around me plus it let me play around with some cool lighting.
post #8 of 22
I think a great looking bed will look great in a bedroom regardless of the height of the ceiling. A high ceiling is dramatic. You can go with either a romantic (like a sleigh bed) or a stark contemporary (maybe accent it further with cool modern lamps). It's up to you and your own personal style.

Check out the Ralph Lauren home site www.rlhome.com, and look in the style section. they have great photos of everything from traditional to modern bedrooms, romantic to high style. I think you might find some good visual examples there to direct you. Good luck!
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
The bed I am probably going to buy has a very high rectangular headboard in tufted leather like a barcelona chair.
Something like the Boss bed (second bed from top)? I was interested in this bed until I went to the store and found out it was $15,000.
post #10 of 22
I always try to be cognizant of how much headroom the trapeze over my bed is going to require.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
I always try to be cognizant of how much headroom the trapeze over my bed is going to require.

LOL and again your signature rings true.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post
Something like the Boss bed (second bed from top)? I was interested in this bed until I went to the store and found out it was $15,000.

Ya except a bit higher in my case, which is good cause my mattress is 15" thick. If you keep looking you'll find one at a cheaper price because it's a fairly popular style right now. I don't know about you but I can do without aniline dyed leather on my headboard if it saves me 12k.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
+25 on the canopy with the straight lines and thin frame. Awesome! A canopy like that really isn't girly at all, IMO.

Also, if you're looking at just getting a headboard, I love this: http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct....t-SKY1063.html

And I'm definitely feelin this one: http://www.bedroom-furniture-direct....09-WE2476.html


Those are both big bitches and they'd downplay the the height of the ceiling. It'd have a cool effect, I think. It'd make the room look more regular sized, but when you were in it and moving around you'd still notice how large it is. Very cool

what i was looking at was more modern. AC posted a link to something very similar to what I will buy.
post #14 of 22
Please ladies, step away from the canopy beds. You are not Scarlett O'Hara. This is a modern bed.
post #15 of 22
^^^ Admitedly, that's much better than a canopy lol, that bed is great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Bedroom with high ceiling