• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new DIY thread

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I am not a member of SuFu but I read it sometimes and there has been a thread recently about DIY, to be more specific it is about making high quality wallets. In the line of $300-400(?) wallets like Red Moon and Flathead style. I have found that sometimes doing things yourself can be quite easy (and cheap, about $60 for everything for the wallet) and I have done a few experiments myself as projects with my girlfriend. Does anyone else (other than EG) just decide to do it yourself. Also, I remember the altering job that J did on his G9 and the great work that Michael J Krell and Get Smart/Jason/Thick as Thieves do on their lines but I want to know what you can make for yourself~on your own. They seem to have made a little community of artisans for themselves over there on SuFu and I think that SF could likely do just as well.

jessetk313

Reaction score
I have been thinking about and trying to get started in making my own wallets just for myself, not to sell. Could you post a link to that thread?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I have done it a few times before but I am not sure how acceptable it is to post links to SuFu but here it is http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...14003&page=108 Look towards the later pages for more detailed info on how to actually make your own goods.

You can get everything you need to make almost anything out of leather at Tandy Leather (they have a website and stores near most major cities).

jessetk313

Reaction score
Thanks alot. I don't want to turn this into a chat thread, so back to the topic. I always find in fun in trying to make my own things especially since I have no skills in doing so.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Turn it into a chat thread. If J or LA Guy care they will shut it down and Secret Squirrel it but I doubt that anybody is getting in trouble for this (aren't all threads chat by definition?). Until then, I think it would be a great thread for discussion on this topic (though I am pretty sure something like this has been done before unsuccessfully). What did you think of what they were making over there? I haven't posted any pictures of the stuff I have made on SF but plan to soon. Also, I just can't force myself to go SuFu. Sorry for all the parentheses, I'm adopted.

jkennett

Reaction score
From what I recall there seem to be quite a few people who experiment with alterations and things of that nature here. Tiecollector comes to mind. Also, I think Ludeykrus mentioned altering clothes himself.

I've made some clothes in my day... Went to school for that actually, but haven't pursued it for the past couple years. My ex still occasionally wears a handbag that I made for her, and she constantly gets compliments on it. So, maybe that's something I should pursue... hah. Anyways... I grew up in the punk scene so it was always a DIY attitude about everything, including clothes. I still retain some of those qualities today by augmenting things a bit from their purchased state. I'll add details like buttons and epaulets, or remove decorative stitching I don't like.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the quality of the leather these guys are using. A lot of them are buying from Tandy, which in my experience in making a belt, isn't "amazing". Certainly, not red moon quality, which is what they're trying to replicate. Some of the guys have really amazing stuff, but the leather seems shotty.

kent wang and his pocketsquares.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to take things and mod them to work for me. I picked up a pair of convertable fingerless glove mittens from target (brown knit with leather patches, thinsulate lining, long enough to go up my forearm a bit, $10) and snipped the thumb open, then removed mitten part to make a pair of killer hobo gloves

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As JKennett mentioned, I've done a good bit of altering shirts myself. I have an oddly-shaped frame, and it's the only way to get really good-fitting clothing for myself. Also, I have a very strong tendency to do everything on my own.

I've really wanted to give the Redmoon-esque wallets a shot, since I did some leatherworking a long time ago in Scouts.....but I just don't have the time or motivation to try it right now. I can't pull it up right now, but I know one of the guys over at SuFu did some excellent work making leather wallets.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I might try making a wallet since it's a relatively small project but I don't have the patience for making most things from scratch. At one point I bought a shirt pattern and was considering trying that but after a little while searching for good fabric (not easily available) I just gave up and realized I would have to have a fair bit of dedication to it for it to ever get done.

The thing to do would be to source some really good materials first... maybe Ron Rider, Marcell, or Janne can hook us up with some Horween shells to start with and make wallets out of that.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I might try making a wallet since it's a relatively small project but I don't have the patience for making most things from scratch. At one point I bought a shirt pattern and was considering trying that but after a little while searching for good fabric (not easily available) I just gave up and realized I would have to have a fair bit of dedication to it for it to ever get done.

The thing to do would be to source some really good materials first... maybe Ron Rider, Marcell, or Janne can hook us up with some Horween shells to start with and make wallets out of that.

would love to try some shell stuff

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
As JKennett mentioned, I've done a good bit of altering shirts myself. I have an oddly-shaped frame, and it's the only way to get really good-fitting clothing for myself. Also, I have a very strong tendency to do everything on my own.

I've really wanted to give the Redmoon-esque wallets a shot, since I did some leatherworking a long time ago in Scouts.....but I just don't have the time or motivation to try it right now. I can't pull it up right now, but I know one of the guys over at SuFu did some excellent work making leather wallets.

I think you are talking about corter, who is also a member over here and sell his amazing wallets in the Buying & Selling section now.

corter

Reaction score
haha, i'm here too. concerning leather quality- tandy's stuff is hit and miss. If you go in and actually pick out your hides, you can get some really good stuff. however, I wouldn't trust just ordering by mail... i've heard absolute horror stories. I dont really buy a lot of leather from there, I buy elsewhere, but they're great for tools. I had one customer who bought a piece and said the leather I use was about on par with redmoon. I usually try to get the best I can, and for the people that are buying em it seems to be tanning nicely (i've only seen 2 or 3 actually in use so far). if anyone needs help, hit me up, i'll answer questions. google is a great place to learn too, thats how I learned a majority of what I know as when I started there wasn't really anyone to ask. now it seems like everyones trying to learn, which is great
smile.gif
I will tell you this though- it's really nothing like altering clothing. It's more a cross between garment construction and carpentry...if that makes sense.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Looks like they turned out pretty well.

What type of dye did you use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads