or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dunhill timepieces
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dunhill timepieces

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I'm still searching for a new watch. I wouldn't mind buying used, but I don't feel comfortable shopping for serious time pieces and gambling a significant amount of coin that could be a potential bust. I checked out Timezone already and most posts stated that Dunhill was decent, but didnt elaborate on any specifics nor provide preferrable alternatives in a similar price range. I was looking specifically at Dunhill's tank watches since they are in a similar price range as Baume et Mercier and even cheaper than certain Hampton styles (my personal favorite aside from a Cartier Santos/JLC Reverso). Comments would be appreciated. Alternative suggestions will be also entertained, but please give a ballpark price range. Ideally, I would spend around $500 as my birthday/Xmas present...
post #2 of 16
Given the stated price range, I think you would be happiest and best off by simply buying the watch you found most comfortable and eye-pleasing. Personally, I agree that several of the Dunhill watches look quite nice. As far as quality, I don't think there will be a noticeable difference, and all the watches will have reasonable warranties. Try to get a sapphire crystal (scratch resistant) and you should be fine.
post #3 of 16
Watch snobs have a tendency to dismiss Dunhill because they use (or at least did last I checked) standard ETA movements and thus aren't "interesting" from a horological point of view. I agree with that to an extent. However, I'd argue, and will admit I'm arguing this as a Dunhill owner, you get a pretty good price/performance output from a Dunhill, with a design likely to stand the test of time, and most importantly, a watch that not everybody and his brother owns. I have a Dunhill "Traveller" watch which I doubt no more than a hundred or so people in the US own. Even if I'm off by a factor of 10, that's certainly a more unique experience than a Rolex brings. (Though I'm a Rolex Cellini owner too.) Aaron.
post #4 of 16
Any idea which ETA movement it uses? If it uses even an off the shelf 2892 that's not a bad thing, and even the older ETA movement is not bad.
post #5 of 16
Everyday I wear my Dunhill watch (it looks very much like Rolex Cellini). It has a brown croc strap, silver frame and white face. I bought it from the Dunhill Outlet at Woodbury Premium Outlet (which is sadly closed) for less than US$400. My parents used to wear a matching pair of Dunhill watches before they joined the Rolex club.
post #6 of 16
Honestly I'd wear a Dunhill before a Rolex. Everyone I know that goes on a cruise comes back from the Islands with one of those damn things on their wrist. Personally I think its a drug dealers Timex that says I have more money than sense. You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city. I've seen some deals over the internet (caveat emptor). Although $2K is 4X more than you may want to spend...  better to save and wait.  Same goes for writing instruments. W
post #7 of 16
They use different movements for different watches. I can't tell you exactly which ones. I should qualify my statement about the use of "standard movements" as well. Dunhill does (or has done for them) their own proprietary modifications to the base movement, but I don't think there's much to what they do. Also, I believe they sell some chronographs that are probably based on a movement like the Valjoux 7750, though that's speculation.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
 You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city.  
W-san: If you can recommend to me such a reliable watch repair shop likely to carry such merchandise in the area of the nation's capital (where I am currently battling other gourmets) I would like to know. Arigato, KAGA Takeshi.
post #9 of 16
there are many attractive watches in your price range..name not really important on many quartz watches since most use similar movement. not to sound like a watch snob, but i still prefer a mechanical or automatic movement to quartz..it's like preferring natural fiber to synthetic..call me a purist.(but do own some quartz sport watches that i wear when i run in my synthetic fiber running clothes)..i own about 50 watches ranging from 80 year old vintage to brand new..i have bought many on ebay or on trips abroad..here's an italian maker of goodlooking watches that can be bought on ebay: www.erkenwatch.com
post #10 of 16
Mr Kaga, www.artoftime.com is an excellent resource for used and unused timepieces of all varieties. As far as my comment regarding any large city... merely an assumption. I figured if my home state of Florida is able to yield such bargains... our more "sophisticated" cities to the North should have ample resources. W
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Honestly I'd wear a Dunhill before a Rolex.  Everyone I know that goes on a cruise comes back from the Islands with one of those damn things on their wrist. Personally I think its a drug dealers Timex that says I have more money than sense. You can pick up used low end Pateks, Vacheron Constantins, Jeagre le Coutres, Breugets etc for aproximately $2k at watch repair shops depending on your proximity to a major city.  I've seen some deals over the internet (caveat emptor).  Although $2K is 4X more than you may want to spend...  better to save and wait.  Same goes for writing instruments. W
I'm in agreement with this. I own several Dunhill limited edition watches, and I'm very happy with all of them. While I'm under no false illusions about the standing of these watches relative to the likes of Patek, JLC, IWC, etc., I do think that the Dunhill watches are distinctive in overall look and design. This is certainly true, e.g., for their "facet" watches; if you want a watch that isn't all that common, this design certainly fits the bill. JV
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I was thinking about this watch specifically... My wrists are too small for chronos, and I thought this design was interesting without looking too contemporary/kitchy.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking about this watch specifically... My wrists are too small for chronos, and I thought this design was interesting without looking too contemporary/kitchy.
For what it's worth, I tend to prefer the facet watches on a leather strap, as opposed to on a bracelet (on a black croc strap, a dressier look, I believe...). Still, the watch you're thinking about is certainly nice looking. BTW, lots of good deals on Dunhill watches on ebay... JV
post #14 of 16
Quote:
I'm still searching for a new watch.  I wouldn't mind buying used, but I don't feel comfortable shopping for serious time pieces and gambling a significant amount of coin that could be a potential bust.  I checked out Timezone already and most posts stated that Dunhill was decent, but didnt elaborate on any specifics nor provide preferrable alternatives in a similar price range.  I was looking specifically at Dunhill's tank watches since they are in a similar price range as Baume et Mercier and even cheaper than certain Hampton styles (my personal favorite aside from a Cartier Santos/JLC Reverso). Comments would be appreciated.  Alternative suggestions will be also entertained, but please give a ballpark price range.  Ideally, I would spend around $500 as my birthday/Xmas present...
Again .. Buying a wrist watch is like buying a suit. In suits, we can divide into canvassed and fused front. In watches, you can split into two categories; machanical movement and quertz movement. I would buy machanical movement watch. No matter how nice quertz watch looks, it just does not have a heart.
post #15 of 16
perfectly said milano
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dunhill timepieces