or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › House of Kydos - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

House of Kydos - Official Affiliate Thread

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 

Dear Styleforum readers,

 

Please allow us to introduce ourselves

 

House of ΚΥΔΟΣ (Kydos), is a Greek necktie maker that creates its product in-house, using the same skills and tools that our great grandfather used in the early 1900’s. This means that we don’t use sewing machines at any point of the construction and don’t use interlining. It may take up to 4 hours to complete one tie but this helps us achieve invincible seems and perfectly balanced folds.

 

We have an online store for our visitors at www.kydos.gr

 

Our ties are limited to only 33 per design and color and are never repeated again. We prefer using premium jacquard fabrics and try to locate uncommon fabric designs when possible.

 

You can write to us at care@kydos.gr for any questions on construction, fabrics, taking care of a tie or for any suggestions, which are very welcomed, and expect honest and intelligent response from us.  We try to keep our shipping costs low and offer free worldwide shipping over 200 euro.  You can now pre-order ties from the new AW’16 collection.

 

Paris

 

post #2 of 57
Thread Starter 

Here is a brief video of the 4 hour process, for making our unlined limited edition ties. you will note that there are no sewing machines, only needles, scissors, threads and our hands as the ties are 100% handsewn

 

  

 

All questions are welcomed

 

Paris

post #3 of 57

beautiful video, if the ties are as nice as the video should be great!

post #4 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavrarabba View Post
 

beautiful video, if the ties are as nice as the video should be great!

 

Thank you for your kind words, we plan to post more videos soon

 

Here is one of our brand new ties in blue tweed, made of silk (with abit of wool, linen and viscose to get the tweed feeling) woven in Como, Italy. The tie has no interlining, and has been hand sewn at every step, into an 8 fold tie. The fabric gives a good standing knot and should you like it also gives nice dimples

 

It is 9 cm (3,55 inch) at its widest point, 150 cm (59 inch) long. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What do you think? 

 

Paris

post #5 of 57
Thread Starter 
And here is our new blue and green stripes silk tie



post #6 of 57
These are quite beautiful, and different from most other lines of good ties out there. A few questions:

The most recent models are 9cm wide, which is a good standard width. Will that be usual from now, or will pre-orders have a chance to specify width and length?

Do prices include VAT, and will that be removed for shipments out of the EU?
post #7 of 57

I wish you good luck.  At this price point, you will likely need to offer bespoke length and width to be competitive.  I'd also suggest at a minimum, you list the length of the standard length tie.

post #8 of 57

Wow they are insanely expensive for a tie in my opinion. However they are very beautiful. Good luck!

post #9 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

These are quite beautiful, and different from most other lines of good ties out there. A few questions:

The most recent models are 9cm wide, which is a good standard width. Will that be usual from now, or will pre-orders have a chance to specify width and length?

Do prices include VAT, and will that be removed for shipments out of the EU?
θ

Good morning from sunny Athens, thank you for the comment, we try to find good and high quality fabrics. Bespoke orders is something that interest us as well, what we haven't decided yet is how to provide this while we offer limited edition ties. Maybe a separate line or a blend of the two? Of course any ideas are very welcomed

Regarding the VAT, please allow me to reply to you within the week, as i will have to check with our tax advisor.

Concordia, you put me some interesting and exiting question, thank you for this

Paris
post #10 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillingToLearn View Post

I wish you good luck.  At this price point, you will likely need to offer bespoke length and width to be competitive.  I'd also suggest at a minimum, you list the length of the standard length tie.

Thank you for the wishes. Bespoke is something we are also very interested and try to decide how to offer it while we maintain our limited edition characteristic. Ideas are welcomed.

Please allow me to explain why the price is very competitive.

Our price is similar with what other unlined "7fold" ties are being offered out there, while we offer so much more and different. I will explain..

First of all we make them 100% by hand, there is no sewing machines involved to save time. While this is done to honor tradition, it help us achieve invincible seams even with the slimmest of fabrics, so you won't end up with a sloppy looking hand rolled hem, or a crooked looking point, but with a beautifully looking point and hem. I just took this shot, it's not the nicest one, but hope you can see what I mean:




Another feature we have are the perfectly balanced folds. This is rare and in order to be achieved it requires interlining, while we don't use any interlining. Not even hidden. Part of the beauty of this tie is to open and vie its folds.

It's no coincidence that each tie requires up to 4 hours to be created. That's a lot of work

Of course our fabrics are jacquard and 100% Italian (not Chinese) silk, maybe except a tweed we have this season with a very small percentage of wool and viscose to achieve the tweed look. One of reason why it's rare to find such fabrics with other makers is because these are high end fabrics and very expensive ones. It's is one thing to color the thread, design the weaving pattern and then implement this design into the weaving and a different thing to get plain white weave silk fabric and print it. Not to mention variations in silk weight and printing techniques and color qualities. Different time required, different skill, different cost and of course different result for the fabric and of course for your necktie.

I have many more points to mention, but here is one last and also very important. A tie from us, means that only you and 32 more people will ever ever ever wear world wide. This makes our cost even higher (no economies of scale), but you get a unique tie and we hope to get a very proud customer.

So I guess the point I am trying to make is that yes as a tie it has a considerable price and so do well tailored suits from the top tailors, but wouldnt you buy them when you know the skill, work and quality put into creating the final result?

Sorry if I was over analytical and you had to read all these I wrote to you, but you were the first to mention the "price". For this reason I offer to you alone 10% discount on your first purchase.

Paris
post #11 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlefty View Post

Wow they are insanely expensive for a tie in my opinion. However they are very beautiful. Good luck!

Dear Shortlefty, thank you for liking them, which two did you like the most from our collection?
Regarding the price please read the reply I just posted above to WillingToLearn. Happy to clarify any point

Paris
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by House of KYDOS View Post


Thank you for the wishes. Bespoke is something we are also very interested and try to decide how to offer it while we maintain our limited edition characteristic. Ideas are welcomed.

Please allow me to explain why the price is very competitive.

Our price is similar with what other unlined "7fold" ties are being offered out there, while we offer so much more and different. I will explain..

First of all we make them 100% by hand, there is no sewing machines involved to save time. While this is done to honor tradition, it help us achieve invincible seams even with the slimmest of fabrics, so you won't end up with a sloppy looking hand rolled hem, or a crooked looking point, but with a beautifully looking point and hem. I just took this shot, it's not the nicest one, but hope you can see what I mean:




Another feature we have are the perfectly balanced folds. This is rare and in order to be achieved it requires interlining, while we don't use any interlining. Not even hidden. Part of the beauty of this tie is to open and vie its folds.

It's no coincidence that each tie requires up to 4 hours to be created. That's a lot of work

Of course our fabrics are jacquard and 100% Italian (not Chinese) silk, maybe except a tweed we have this season with a very small percentage of wool and viscose to achieve the tweed look. One of reason why it's rare to find such fabrics with other makers is because these are high end fabrics and very expensive ones. It's is one thing to color the thread, design the weaving pattern and then implement this design into the weaving and a different thing to get plain white weave silk fabric and print it. Not to mention variations in silk weight and printing techniques and color qualities. Different time required, different skill, different cost and of course different result for the fabric and of course for your necktie.

I have many more points to mention, but here is one last and also very important. A tie from us, means that only you and 32 more people will ever ever ever wear world wide. This makes our cost even higher (no economies of scale), but you get a unique tie and we hope to get a very proud customer.

So I guess the point I am trying to make is that yes as a tie it has a considerable price and so do well tailored suits from the top tailors, but wouldnt you buy them when you know the skill, work and quality put into creating the final result?

Sorry if I was over analytical and you had to read all these I wrote to you, but you were the first to mention the "price". For this reason I offer to you alone 10% discount on your first purchase.

Paris

 

I believe what everyone is getting at in terms of pricing is not comparing you to the likes of any fashion house, but to StyleForum favourites like Vanda, Panta, EG Capelli, Tie your Tie, HN White, Yellow Hook, Drake's, etc. 

These all make, for the most part, everything by hand and use the same high end fabrics you describe for some of the best ties you can find. However, their price point is lower and I believe most of them already offer a bespoke tie service at your price point or below.

post #13 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanchri View Post

I believe what everyone is getting at in terms of pricing is not comparing you to the likes of any fashion house, but to StyleForum favourites like Vanda, Panta, EG Capelli, Tie your Tie, HN White, Yellow Hook, Drake's, etc. 
These all make, for the most part, everything by hand and use the same high end fabrics you describe for some of the best ties you can find. However, their price point is lower and I believe most of them already offer a bespoke tie service at your price point or below.

Hello Stanchri,

I respect that we are a new maker for most of the StyleForum community and that is why we try to introduce our creations as best as possible. As you say, making by hand "for the most part" is not the same with 100% hand sewn. Using a sewing machine still means "hand made" for many, because some finishing is done by hand. So can we compare someone that needs 1 or even 2 hours (partly with machines) to complete a tie, with someone that requires 4 hours and does it by hand?

Bespoke is in the pipeline. Regarding the fabrics, when you hold and feel our fabrics you will understand

From our market research, same level ties are for sale at similar prices and with less features than our ties and there are even makers with significant higher prices

I am very happy to answer to more questions

Paris
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of KYDOS View Post


Hello Stanchri,

I respect that we are a new maker for most of the StyleForum community and that is why we try to introduce our creations as best as possible. As you say, making by hand "for the most part" is not the same with 100% hand sewn. Using a sewing machine still means "hand made" for many, because some finishing is done by hand. So can we compare someone that needs 1 or even 2 hours (partly with machines) to complete a tie, with someone that requires 4 hours and does it by hand?

Bespoke is in the pipeline. Regarding the fabrics, when you hold and feel our fabrics you will understand

From our market research, same level ties are for sale at similar prices and with less features than our ties and there are even makers with significant higher prices

I am very happy to answer to more questions

Paris


It might be worth considering a SF discount like most SF affiliates have.

As for Vanda, they also make their ties completely by hand.

post #15 of 57

Going forward, I suggest you drop the limited edition gimmick. I don't think you are moving too many customers with the whole "We only have 33 left".

 

It would also be helpful for you to clarify what "invincible seam" is.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › House of Kydos - Official Affiliate Thread