Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

I just found out that Cole Haan just released a new line of "Made in Maine" in 2016, which features shoes that are made in USA.

What do you guys think of these shoes? Is it worth buying? I have some cole haan gift cards (equivalent to 30% off) that needs to be spent. I plan to buy the cap toe. Any thoughts? Thank you! 

 

http://www.colehaan.com/mens-madeinmaine

post #2 of 34
Overpriced garbage.
post #3 of 34
They are made by Rancourt. Google the brand and ignore the "garbage" comment as being ignorant and uninformed.
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by colco View Post

They are made by Rancourt. Google the brand and ignore the "garbage" comment as being ignorant and uninformed.

 

OK. Can you answer the basic questions?

  • Is the upper calf, or cow?
  • Is the upper full grain or corrected? Aniline, semi-, or coated?
  • Is the insole actually leather? Vegetable tanned?
  • Is the insole thick or thin?
  • What is the shoe's construction?
  • How is the heel stacked? With what materials?
  • How sure are you of your answers?

 

I'm afraid giving a brand whore recommendation does disservice to the OP.

post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post
 

 

OK. Can you answer the basic questions?

  • Is the upper calf, or cow?
  • Is the upper full grain or corrected? Aniline, semi-, or coated?
  • Is the insole actually leather? Vegetable tanned?
  • Is the insole thick or thin?
  • What is the shoe's construction?
  • How is the heel stacked? With what materials?
  • How sure are you of your answers?

 

I'm afraid giving a brand whore recommendation does disservice to the OP.

Do you have a pair of Cole Haan made in USA by Rancourt shoes and can you personally speak to their not being a quality shoe?

This is a value priced made in USA goodyear welted shoe, that the OP has a 30% off coupon for.  Made by a reputable company.  

What other Cole Haan shoes do you think he should he buy?

post #6 of 34

You wanna know what I think? Sell the Cole Haan coupons for what they're worth. Spend the proceeds towards a quality dress shoe. 

post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post
 

You wanna know what I think? Sell the Cole Haan coupons for what they're worth. Spend the proceeds towards a quality dress shoe. 

Not really.  

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by colco View Post
 

Not really.  

 

Butthurt for getting caught giving bad advice.

 

 

:violin:

post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post
 

 

Butthurt for getting caught giving bad advice.

 

 

:violin:

My advice was to tell the OP to google Rancourt.  And to ignore your ignorant ass.  Seeing as how you never have owned or handled a pair of Rancourt made shoes.  Nor have you suggested a suitable alternative in this thread.  Nevertheless, you are absolutely right.  You win the internet tonight guy.  Well done.  

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by colco View Post
 

My advice was to tell the OP to google Rancourt.  And to ignore your ignorant ass.  Seeing as how you never have owned or handled a pair of Rancourt made shoes.  Nor have you suggested a suitable alternative in this thread.  Nevertheless, you are absolutely right.  You win the internet tonight guy.  Well done.  

 

What's the matter? Wife left you? Ran out of penicillin? Pissed at me because my great-grandfather killed your great-grandfather?

 

Leaving your PMS overreaction aside, here are the key points:

  • You never backed up your claim that Rancourt does indeed make the shoes (psst, there are more than 1 shoemaker in Lewiston, ME)
  • You never answered any specific question about the way these shoes are made that would convince us they are a notch above the typical corrected leather bonded ColeHaan fare
  • Pretty near impossible to recommend alternative knowing nothing of the OP: his budget, occupation, station, taste etc
  • Pretty near redundant to recommend alternative given the plethora of threads on this topic: brand specific, advice specific, what have you

 

Basic point: Dropping the mic at a brand name makes you a label whore, and therefore a shallow uninformed person.

post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post

What's the matter? Wife left you? Ran out of penicillin? Pissed at me because my great-grandfather killed your great-grandfather?

Leaving your PMS overreaction aside, here are the key points:
  • You never backed up your claim that Rancourt does indeed make the shoes (psst, there are more than 1 shoemaker in Lewiston, ME)
  • You never answered any specific question about the way these shoes are made that would convince us they are a notch above the typical corrected leather bonded ColeHaan fare
  • Pretty near impossible to recommend alternative knowing nothing of the OP: his budget, occupation, station, taste etc
  • Pretty near redundant to recommend alternative given the plethora of threads on this topic: brand specific, advice specific, what have you

Basic point: Dropping the mic at a brand name makes you a label whore, and therefore a shallow uninformed person.
http://www.ivy-style.com/cole-haan-launches-made-in-maine-collection.html

Rancourt is making them, and most styles are styles that Rancourt already sells under their own name. I would assume quality will be the same since the Cole Haan models are 40-60$ more or so.
post #12 of 34
Starro, a simple Google search, which is what I recommended the op do, and another poster has done, yields the "proof" you seem to require, and answers some of the questions you posted as well. You should try it yourself before you make dismissive claims about things you're clearly not versed on.
No need to reply. Styleforum has and ignore feature, so I won't see it.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj52racers View Post


http://www.ivy-style.com/cole-haan-launches-made-in-maine-collection.html

Rancourt is making them, and most styles are styles that Rancourt already sells under their own name. 

 

Let's get the most important thing out of the way. Knowing who manufactures the shoes is only a small part towards evaluating their quality. My earlier posts have pointed towards some of those considerations, which I won't repeat again. It might be a news flash to some ([cough] the brand whore from NJ), but Rancourt does not make flawless shoes. Read the Rancourt thread for problems that may arise in quality. (Of course they're not shit either.)

 

Now, onto your very claim itself. I've already read that article. It is the only article attributing Cole Haan's Made in ME to Rancourt, and it doesn't cite any sources for as to why its word is to be believed. Other articles about the line's introduction make no claim as to the actual manufacturer. There are a few other facts that would make one doubtful Rancourt manufactures, especially the captoes in question

  • In Cole Haan's product description for one of the loafers, there's talk of only "five craftsmen located in Lewiston, Maine", but not in the captoe product desc; either way Rancourt's got more than 5 in their factory
  • There's no plain captoe of the Cole Haan style that I'm aware of under the Rancourt name

 

All in all, it's very unimportant who actually makes the shoes. And even if we cared about this minutia, there is flimsy evidence to suppose Rancourt is the manufacturer, and plenty to be suspicious. Examining the shoes themselves and not being distracted by meaningless labels (which is what everyone is supposed to do!), take a look at the 3rd picture on the captoe page for evidence of poor quality. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj52racers View Post

I would assume quality will be the same since the Cole Haan models are 40-60$ more or so.

 

Why on earth would you ever assume that? Doesn't it seem ass backwards to you to argue from price to quality? By the same logic, Enron must be an absolute steal at $90 in 2001 because look! it's got a 120%+ premium over industry peers!


Edited by starro - 10/12/16 at 7:38am
post #14 of 34

@colco

 

You are either a sheep who swallows everything you're told, or you are a paid mouthpiece who spreads false information to pad Cole Haan's bottom line.

 

If the former, then you are the saddest pathetic excuse for a human not born yesterday. You don't realize that you're a world-class sucker, and therefore Cole Haan's #1 target customer. "What? They're made in America? And also what? One website says Rancourt makes the shoes? Oh well, then I don't need to do any more homework! Here's all my cash!" Congratulations, for being Cole Haan's best useful idiot. If I were the company, I would be busy selling your contact information to the highest bidder, because you sir are a goldmine!

 

I do want to give you some advice that will help you in your life. Read over all that I wrote carefully. If you find yourself struggling to understand, get your reading comprehension tested. Then find a quality SAT tutor. For just the price of the GW Bridge, it's a worthwhile investment in you.

post #15 of 34
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes