or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Storing Cotton shirt fabric
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Storing Cotton shirt fabric

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone,

 

I had an opportunity to buy some high end cotton shirt fabric even though I won't be using for a few years.

 

The fabric came rolled.  The total length of each roll of fabric unrolled is between 8-14M length and the width is 3M. But rolled the 8-14M is only 3 inches so great for storing under my bed.  

 

I took the shipping wrap off but the fabric is still tightly rolled in another plastic cover.  I was going to just keep it rolled up in the plastic but wasn't sure if it would be better to take it out of the plastic and unroll the fabric and then fold it up and store in plastic bins.

 

I would prefer to just keep it rolled but wasn't sure if that isn't a good idea for longevity.  I can't see why not but figured it would not hurt to ask the experts.  

 

Any advise?

 

Regards,

Mark

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markboots View Post
 

Hello everyone,

 

I had an opportunity to buy some high end cotton shirt fabric even though I won't be using for a few years.

 

The fabric came rolled.  The total length of each roll of fabric unrolled is between 8-14M length and the width is 3M. But rolled the 8-14M is only 3 inches so great for storing under my bed.  

 

I took the shipping wrap off but the fabric is still tightly rolled in another plastic cover.  I was going to just keep it rolled up in the plastic but wasn't sure if it would be better to take it out of the plastic and unroll the fabric and then fold it up and store in plastic bins.

 

I would prefer to just keep it rolled but wasn't sure if that isn't a good idea for longevity.  I can't see why not but figured it would not hurt to ask the experts.  

 

Any advise?

 

Regards,

Mark

 

 

Hey Mark, I would think I'd be fine, but I would ask the guys in here http://www.styleforum.net/t/56404/unfunded-liabilities-a-k-a-the-cloth-thread.  They will definitely be able to give you some good advice.

post #3 of 10
it is fine in plastic.

you might need to cut off 1/4 yd if it shades a bit.
is there any tape holding the fabric on the roll?
cellophane and masking tape can leave marks
solid might yellow no matter how it is stored.
oxyclean will easily brighten it up.
post #4 of 10
the width is wrong
is it 36" or 90cm or 59/60" wide 150 cm
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

the width is wrong
is it 36" or 90cm or 59/60" wide 150 cm

Thanks Carl.  I will post a picture tonight.  It's 150cm.  I was going to open at least one of the packages to have a few shirts made.  I can't just store all of it ; )

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

it is fine in plastic.

you might need to cut off 1/4 yd if it shades a bit.
is there any tape holding the fabric on the roll?
cellophane and masking tape can leave marks
solid might yellow no matter how it is stored.
oxyclean will easily brighten it up.


Hi Carl,

 

Here is a picture.  Interesting that in my last shipment today the cloth folded and not rolled.  Wasn't even in plastic.  I did that myself.  I am going to take the 6 meters of the folded cloth and have 3 shirts made.  There is some green tape around the outside of the rolls.  I had not opened the plastic and was going to leave as is.

 

 

 

Regards,

Mark

post #7 of 10
The rolls are fine as is. Just store them flat. Not standing up. Trying to identify the mill by the ticket, since I can't see the name. What size are you? A good Cutter might be able to squeeze out 4 shirts from 6m if you are smaller.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

The rolls are fine as is. Just store them flat. Not standing up. Trying to identify the mill by the ticket, since I can't see the name. What size are you? A good Cutter might be able to squeeze out 4 shirts from 6m if you are smaller.

 

Thanks Carl,
I tend to use the term lean and not small :). The fabric is from Tessitura Monti and I have Lincolnshire and Yorkshire (both super 200).  In total I have 40M at 150cm.  I am a 15 slim fit.  I had one shirt made from Acron Grasmere and there was a fair amount of fabric left over.  I just assumed it would be 2M per shirt at 150cm but if the tailor can squeeze out 4 that would be awesome!  I would have ordered  a little different if I knew that was possible.   I do have 14M in Yorkshire white so it sounds like I definitely will get more than 7 shirts from that.

 

I will store the rest under my bed and leave in the plastic for probably 5 years....  I have a lot of shirts right now which kind of sucks because the fabric I have in rolls is fantastic!

 

Regards,

Mark

post #9 of 10
4 shirts should be doable if they are button cuff. French cuff will use up too much fabric for the 4th.

I realized later that it was a Monti ticket.

I have never used that fabric, so I am not sure how it reacts.
i have see some of the super high count fabrics stretch instead of shrink when washed!
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

4 shirts should be doable if they are button cuff. French cuff will use up too much fabric for the 4th.

I realized later that it was a Monti ticket.

I have never used that fabric, so I am not sure how it reacts.
i have see some of the super high count fabrics stretch instead of shrink when washed!

Thanks Carl. I am going button cuff, no pocket, no placket, which works out to minimize fabric usage : ). I would rather stretch than shrink.... : ). This is my first time above 140 (pretty sure) and the fabric feels awesome. Interesting that you never used it. You find your customers prefer the 120-140 or is it a cost and durability issue?

I have read the 200 super cotton is not as durable but that is a general statement. I see super 200 cotton much different than the super 200 wool durability argument but what do I know....

Regards,
Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Menswear Advice
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Storing Cotton shirt fabric