or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread - Page 37

post #541 of 724
I would add shame he was pardoned
post #542 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


But did your job allow you to run your own email server under the official rules at the time? If you were secretary of state, I'm not sure you would have been treated any differently than Hillary was.

Also (I have no idea), how many of the "bad" emails on her server were sent by her (originally, not in the black hole of previous replies) vs how many were sent by someone else to her?

 

No, of course not.  I had to use the government email servers.  I don't disagree that if I was SoS, I would have gotten away with it too.  I just don't want to see any SoS get away with it.  I don't like when rules are applied differently to the ruling class.  I don't care who it is, I just want rules being enforced consistently.  Partisanship will never let that happen though.

post #543 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

No, of course not.  I had to use the government email servers.  I don't disagree that if I was SoS, I would have gotten away with it too.  I just don't want to see any SoS get away with it.  I don't like when rules are applied differently to the ruling class.  I don't care who it is, I just want rules being enforced consistently.  Partisanship will never let that happen though.

It's not just partisanship - it's a more generalized sense of entitlement. The folks who are out of power will scream for accountability because they know they can safely do so without being taken up on it. But the last thing they really want is for droit de regale to be revoked before they get their turn on the throne.
post #544 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It's not just partisanship - it's a more generalized sense of entitlement. The folks who are out of power will scream for accountability because they know they can safely do so without being taken up on it. But the last thing they really want is for droit de regale to be revoked before they get their turn on the throne.

I just want the get out of jail free card from the community chest.
post #545 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

real polls also know as odds, thanks for your contribution

Wasn't talking to you moron.
post #546 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross22 View Post

Wasn't talking to you moron.
post #547 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

You keep messing up the facts here. It was three marked classified in the e-mails, a hundred containing information that was classified but not marked in the e-mail, and thousands containing classified information that hadn't yet been marked classified (but generally should have been at the time).

That's separate from what she used the server for that was "secret" or "top secret," but it was quite a bit. At least 8 "chains," were "top secret" and 36 were "secret."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/06/us/politics/fbi-findings-damage-many-of-hillary-clintons-claims.html

And that's from the ones that were recovered.

I don't know how the state department's unclassified e-mail server was managed, but I doubt it was abused the same way Clinton's was.

Ok, my source on the no top secret was wrong (or wasn't focused on secret/top secret and I misinterpreted it), but I wouldn't call your fact handling very solid here.

First, you don't get to make the distinction that they "should have been classified at the time". The fact is that they weren't. Either they were sensitive but unclassified, or fell into
Quote:
About 2,000 additional emails have been retroactively classified, or up-classified, meaning the information was not classified when it was first emailed. This is a regular practice when documents are reviewed for release, according to transparency experts.


The secret/top secret chains were not separate from the 110 emails:
Quote:
In total, the investigation found 110 emails in 52 email chains containing information that was classified at the time it was sent or received. Eight chains contained top secret information, the highest level of classification, 36 chains contained secret information, and the remaining eight contained confidential information. Most of these emails, however, did not contain markings clearly delineating their status.

Those are all from the emails she turned over, not the emails that were recovered by piecing together other correspondence. Only 3 unmarked emails were found there:
Quote:
But Comey said FBI investigators uncovered "several thousand" work-related emails that she had not handed over, and three of those were classified at the time they were sent, though they were not marked as such.

Furthermore, how can you say you doubt that the state department's email server was "abused" the same way as Clinton's? Most of the people sending her this classified email were state department aides--they were using their state department email accounts. If it went to and from Clintonemail, it also passed through a state department server, and thus, the official server was used exactly the same way.
In fact, there is even evidence in the email dump that they were cognizant of the fact that confidential information should be treated differently:
Quote:
Some of Clinton’s emails now made public actually show Clinton’s team talking about how they couldn’t email each other classified information over the private server and instead have to move the conversation to a more appropriate venue.

This whole thing is just idiotic. A seperate email server was allowed (and used by others, such as colin powell). As is pretty standard with subpoenas, they withheld non-pertinent emails. When analyzed, it turns out that well under 1% of the emails were classified at the time of sending (and many were sent *to* her, so not really her own action).

Give me 30k healthcare emails and I bet I'd find as just as many HIPAA violations from people who think they are careful and compliant.
post #548 of 724
Maybe if Clinton didn't want people to make such a big deal out of the email thing she shouldn't have committed so much black-on-black crime in Chicago.
post #549 of 724
Also, why the fuck does Trump get to keep running about saying she acid washed her emails like she was in a dark alley somewhere doing some breaking bad style body disposal.

It makes him look like an idiot, but his followers are too stupid to realize it, so they just go along with him and get incensed!

A tech used a deletion program that has bleach in its name. It happens to be a free and easy to use program, despite Trump insisting it is a very expensive and difficult process. People in my office use a program just like it all of the time, not because the data is particularly sensitive or we are scared someone is going to try to steal it...that's just standard procedure for getting rid of client data when they ask. Actually, the program we use is significantly more aggressive than BleachBit, which only does a single-pass wipe, and some clients want 7+ wipes.
post #550 of 724
Trump insisted Obama was a Kenyan up til the last last debate which was a few years after the release of long form birth certificate. Tons of people still believe he's not a US citizen and is a Muslim

I don't think truths and facts has anything to do with why there's such an obsession over something that's been discussed over and over without new information

The argument is always 1) I work/worked in government and I would have gone to jail if I did what Hillarh did 2) the deleted emails had some bombshells and that's why they were deleted and covered up 3) she only got off cuz of government conspiracy and Comey is a corrupt incompetent ass

All three are some unprovable bullshit. No new fact or info is going to get in their way especially considering how if you repeat them enough times like a mantra it magically turns true
post #551 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Trump insisted Obama was a Kenyan up til the last last debate which was a few years after the release of long form birth certificate. Tons of people still believe he's not a US citizen and is a Muslim

I don't think truths and facts has anything to do with why there's such an obsession over something that's been discussed over and over without new information

The argument is always 1) I work/worked in government and I would have gone to jail if I did what Hillarh did 2) the deleted emails had some bombshells and that's why they were deleted and covered up 3) she only got off cuz of government conspiracy and Comey is a corrupt incompetent ass

All three are some unprovable bullshit. No new fact or info is going to get in their way especially considering how if you repeat them enough times like a mantra it magically turns true

#3 in particular makes me laugh, because Comey and I know a number of folks in common. His reputation (both in the law enforcement/white collar community generally, and among folks I personally know and trust) for integrity is sterling and he's considered very smart and highly competent. As I'm sure folks know, he's also a Republican who was a Romney supporter.
post #552 of 724
Well he's clearly not a true Republican because I don't see Hillary in jail. Thank God for Trump
post #553 of 724
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Maybe if Clinton didn't want people to make such a big deal out of the email thing she shouldn't have committed so much black-on-black crime in Chicago.

You're confusing her with Obama's Jewish friend that Rev. Wright told him not to talk to.
post #554 of 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Ok, my source on the no top secret was wrong (or wasn't focused on secret/top secret and I misinterpreted it), but I wouldn't call your fact handling very solid here.

This is getting to be tedious. It's like a play by play of Hillary's talking points / lies regarding the e-mails, one after another. Your working through it in a day is even less convincing than her spacing out over a year.

So we're down to the last line of defense -- where Hillary pleads ignorance/incompetence. "It wasn't labeled classified, so I didn't know it was top secret." "Gosh, I don't remember all that training we had about handing sensitive information" "Oh, that's what that 'C' mark means!" etc., etc. Of course we'll never get a real chance to examine exactly what she did, because it was classified information, so we have to trust the judgment of the FBI about the discretion a prosecutor would exercise if actual prosecutors were actually considering prosecuting the offenses.

Hopefully we'll get the whole story during Hillary's trial, after Trump wins.
post #555 of 724
Even if trump managed to win, Hillary wouldn't go to jail.

He's a lying blowhard about that too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread