or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Indochino suits?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Indochino suits? - Page 189

post #2821 of 3211

Nice. Sleeves are too long, and I'd slim them a bit. IMO, lapels and fit are too wide/full, but that's my preference.


Edited by VinnyMac - 11/29/12 at 7:14pm
post #2822 of 3211

1000

Another exemple:

N-1 is the Indochino blazer "Admiral",n-2 is the same (with a photoshop touch) blazer in a more classical fit and style.

post #2823 of 3211

DAMMNNN.... is that really indochino? I don't doubt you, but those lapels are a nice width and IC seems to prefer slimmer ones. The standard-width notches on my brown SC are about 2.75 inches wide.

post #2824 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpu65 View Post

Is a pity that Indochino is obsessed with the skinny/narrow silhouette.

It  would be interesting see a new Indochino collection more classic in fit and shape,with traditional size lapels,full cut trousers with pleats and right rise and lenght.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

DAMMNNN.... is that really indochino? I don't doubt you, but those lapels are a nice width and IC seems to prefer slimmer ones. The standard-width notches on my brown SC are about 2.75 inches wide.

No. That's not an IC suit. Carpu was complaining about IC not having wide lapels. That picture's an example of the desired lapel width.

post #2825 of 3211

Aww :(

post #2826 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

I mean, did you ever get a remake on it, or was that the original suit?

 

That was the original. I was very pleased, right out of the box.

I read up on indochino review a ton, and while measuring, on things I wanted slightly slimmer, I would shave off 1/8-1/4", such as thighs/bicep = -1/8"

stomach/chest = -1/4"

 

[b]your results may vary[/b]

:P

post #2827 of 3211
Hello all, first time poster here :P.

I'm in the market to buy my first tailored suit and I found out about Indochino. They seem to me an very good place to buy suits from but although I've read many good reviews (many from thread...), I've also read some unsuccessful stories, so I'm hoping to get some buying tips from you kind folks here.

My biggest concern is measurement. I've read that they almost always change the measurements you submitted. Is this true? If so do I still give them the actual measurements or do I need to offset them a little?

Secondly the material. I've also heard that the material they used is not always 100% wool as they advertised (some said that they mixed in polyester). Is this the case?

That's all I can think of right now, but any tips are welcome. Thanks in advance!
post #2828 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill8 View Post

Hello all, first time poster here :P.
I'm in the market to buy my first tailored suit and I found out about Indochino. They seem to me an very good place to buy suits from but although I've read many good reviews (many from thread...), I've also read some unsuccessful stories, so I'm hoping to get some buying tips from you kind folks here.
My biggest concern is measurement. I've read that they almost always change the measurements you submitted. Is this true? If so do I still give them the actual measurements or do I need to offset them a little?
Secondly the material. I've also heard that the material they used is not always 100% wool as they advertised (some said that they mixed in polyester). Is this the case?
That's all I can think of right now, but any tips are welcome. Thanks in advance!


Here is my 2 cents...

 

My first indochino suit is supposed to come in the mail either tomorrow or the day after.  So I am not a complete expert on how things go; however, I think your best bet is to follow exactly how they say to take the measurements and adjust when you get your suit in the mail.  Use the first suit as a base to go off of and adjust accordingly.

 

I looked at my measurements I submitted and the actual garment measurements that were updated by indochino, and some are significantly different.  I'll see how the fit is in a few days and get back to you guys.

 

As far as the material goes, I'm pretty sure they are 100% wool and that you speak of is something of the past.

post #2829 of 3211

I hope I'm not coming off as insulting in this post, but do people really not understand that the measurement you take is not the same as the garment measurement?  

 

Think about how they ask you to measure your chest.  Fairly snug, with one finger slipped under the tape measure.  Do you honestly expect your shirt or jacket to fit that tight?  Do you think that would be comfortable?  You wouldn't be able to button it.

 

Now, that's different than receiving a garment and them telling you the GARMENT it self is X inches when you measure it and it's Y inches (and I realize that's a problem some people seem to be having, and I can't help you there).  But understand that for most measurements - especially circumferential ones - if they were to actually make the garment to the measurements you took, it would be about 2-3 department store sizes too small.  This is especially true with waist/chest size compared to neck size.  With neck size, there isn't a whole lot to change there if anything at all.  But with the amount of movement that occurs at the waist/stomach area, and in the chest area with relation to arm movement and such, there is no way in hell they would want to make your shirt or jacket 40" in circumference if you measured your chest at 40".  

 

Now, having said all that, I agree that there is a bit of an issue with Indochino's "algorithms."  Obviously, if you understand what I posted above, you realize that there is an element of "adjustment" that has to occur ("he measured 40 inches, which means a 44" chest would be appropriate").  To what extent they balance this well (the adjustments they make in the chest vs. the waist vs. the hips, etc) is up for debate.  A lot of people think they put a little too much "waist suppression" in (i.e. they adjust the chest size based on your measurements by a larger proportion than they do your stomach/waist).  That, again, is up to personal preference and it does seem IC's suit style is more "slim" and "fitted" by default.

 

But please realize that when you measure your chest, your suit jacket or shirt should absolutely NOT be made to reflect those exact numbers.

post #2830 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

 

Now, that's different than receiving a garment and them telling you the GARMENT it self is X inches when you measure it and it's Y inches (and I realize that's a problem some people seem to be having, and I can't help you there).  ....

That's the problem that I referred to. After you've actually placed an order, they update your measurement profile to display what appears to be garment measurements (translated from the body measurements that you mentioned). After a few emails, it turns out that those numbers aren't accurate, and apparently, they aren't supposed to be...?

post #2831 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

I hope I'm not coming off as insulting in this post, but do people really not understand that the measurement you take is not the same as the garment measurement?  

 

Think about how they ask you to measure your chest.  Fairly snug, with one finger slipped under the tape measure.  Do you honestly expect your shirt or jacket to fit that tight?  Do you think that would be comfortable?  You wouldn't be able to button it.

 

Now, that's different than receiving a garment and them telling you the GARMENT it self is X inches when you measure it and it's Y inches (and I realize that's a problem some people seem to be having, and I can't help you there).  But understand that for most measurements - especially circumferential ones - if they were to actually make the garment to the measurements you took, it would be about 2-3 department store sizes too small.  This is especially true with waist/chest size compared to neck size.  With neck size, there isn't a whole lot to change there if anything at all.  But with the amount of movement that occurs at the waist/stomach area, and in the chest area with relation to arm movement and such, there is no way in hell they would want to make your shirt or jacket 40" in circumference if you measured your chest at 40".  

 

Now, having said all that, I agree that there is a bit of an issue with Indochino's "algorithms."  Obviously, if you understand what I posted above, you realize that there is an element of "adjustment" that has to occur ("he measured 40 inches, which means a 44" chest would be appropriate").  To what extent they balance this well (the adjustments they make in the chest vs. the waist vs. the hips, etc) is up for debate.  A lot of people think they put a little too much "waist suppression" in (i.e. they adjust the chest size based on your measurements by a larger proportion than they do your stomach/waist).  That, again, is up to personal preference and it does seem IC's suit style is more "slim" and "fitted" by default.

 

But please realize that when you measure your chest, your suit jacket or shirt should absolutely NOT be made to reflect those exact numbers.

 

What you said makes perfect sense.  In my case, I just thought it was odd that I supplied them with a 21" shoulder measurement and they updated the garment measurement at 19.75".  A decrease in size instead of increase.  Any who, I don't really care what they change the measurements to as long as it fits in the end.

post #2832 of 3211

Just got my first Indochino suit in the mail today.  I ordered the Navy Essential.  I'm no expert, but from my eyes it didn't come out too far off.  I didn't expect a perfect fit the first time and I feel good about where it can be with a some adjustments.  From what I can see the sleeves are too short and the jacket a little as well.  I'm fixing to post some pics and any other adjustment pointers from you guys would be greatly appreciated.  Pics coming shortly...thanks in advance!
 

post #2833 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2cali View Post

 

What you said makes perfect sense.  In my case, I just thought it was odd that I supplied them with a 21" shoulder measurement and they updated the garment measurement at 19.75".  A decrease in size instead of increase.  Any who, I don't really care what they change the measurements to as long as it fits in the end.

 

I hear ya.  I submitted 19.50 for my shoulder measurement and ended up with 18.50.  Made no sense to me, and I increased it accordingly in my remake.

post #2834 of 3211

Sorry if the pictures are terrible but any/all advice on adjustments would be greatly appreciated.  My main concern is the jacket as the pants I can easily eye myself, but I'm not so sure with the jacket.  Thanks in advance!

 

400

 

400

 

400

 

400

 

400

post #2835 of 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2cali View Post

Just got my first Indochino suit in the mail today.  I ordered the Navy Essential.  I'm no expert, but from my eyes it didn't come out too far off.  I didn't expect a perfect fit the first time and I feel good about where it can be with a some adjustments.  From what I can see the sleeves are too short and the jacket a little as well.  I'm fixing to post some pics and any other adjustment pointers from you guys would be greatly appreciated.  Pics coming shortly...thanks in advance!
 

 

What do you think of the navy?  When I saw the navy in person, I thought it was way too close to black and ended up getting the blue sharkskin instead.  What do you think?

 

Side - My latest blue sharkskin remake posted here...any thoughts are appreciated: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/2235#post_5945968

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Indochino suits?