or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Indochino suits?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Indochino suits? - Page 145

post #2161 of 3201
thanks for the comments ultramantaro

I recently got back my remake. the jacket is a much better fit, but im still not sure, so I thought i'd post pics and ask. I''m fine with sending it back for another remake if need be as i'm in no rush

-Surprisingly the pants fit better before the remake. its super tight across the front pockets. I'll post pics, but first i'd like to get some help on my jacket
-I notice on one side there's a huge collar gap. I have no idea how to go about getting this fixed and what I would tell indochino to do, so please do help me out on that.

Feel free to rip apart the fit263263
263467
467467

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #2162 of 3201


Overall the shape is definitely better from your previous rendition.  I'm not sure how to fix your gap on one side of the collar how that came up.  Have you tried on other suit jackets or other shirts and if they experience the same problem?  The reason I ask is even in your previous pics, the right side of the jacket (facing the camera) appears to sit farther from the collar compared to the left as well though not as pronounced.

 

The pants for sure are more tapered, but if the seat of the pants start to develop horizontal ripples or seem stretched it's definitely too tight.  It's always nicer to have slim pants to go with a slim jacket, but if it's too uncomfortable for you the look is not worth the trouble.  Perhaps letting out an inch will likely fix that problem and still retain the silhouette.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef View Post

thanks for the comments ultramantaro
I recently got back my remake. the jacket is a much better fit, but im still not sure, so I thought i'd post pics and ask. I''m fine with sending it back for another remake if need be as i'm in no rush
-Surprisingly the pants fit better before the remake. its super tight across the front pockets. I'll post pics, but first i'd like to get some help on my jacket
-I notice on one side there's a huge collar gap. I have no idea how to go about getting this fixed and what I would tell indochino to do, so please do help me out on that.
Feel free to rip apart the fit263263
263467
467467


 

post #2163 of 3201

 

Quote:
-I notice on one side there's a huge collar gap. I have no idea how to go about getting this fixed and what I would tell indochino to do, so please do help me out on that.

Your left shoulder is lower than your right - probably that's why you have the gap and one of the sleeves is shorter than the other. Are you left-handed?

post #2164 of 3201
A collar gap could appear for a number of reasons, the most common is too much material being removed from the back, just under the collar. This sometimes happens when standing too straight and at attention while being measured by a tailor during a fitting. However, your collar/lapel gap seems to have occurred due to the jacket, neck opening being designed too wide. Basically, the jacket doesn't fit you. Also, the length of the arms are off balance, possibly due to your low right shoulder. This is not a big deal though.

The biggest mistake in your suit is visible from the side views. Notice the bad silhouette. Your back side vents protrude out way too much judging from the first, left side view picture and less so from the right side view. This should not be happening this badly. It makes it appear as though you have a big booty, when I'm sure that you don't as you look rather fit. The vents should drape nicely over your rear, not protrude out like that. Also, from the front view, the suit gives you a pear shape appearance; narrower shoulders at the top and wider, bell shaped skirting as you go lower. A suit should actually do the opposite in order to accentuate the broadness of your shoulders and provide you with the apearance of a narrower waiste line.

All of the problems I have just pointed out on your suit are common Indochino flaws that I have seen happen to other member's here.

The collar gap/wide jacket neck opening alone would be something a tailor could not fix without performing major, expensive surgery. I'm not even sure it could be fixed at all. Return and demand a remake or a refund.
post #2165 of 3201
ultramantaro - with my other suit jackets i dont really see the collar gap problem (or at least it's not as pronounced). my indochino pants do have horizontal ripples in the front! lol. its definitely too tight somewhere.

atlrus - i'm right handed

octoberfile - i think i agree with you. looking at the side pics i dont like how it flares out so much. i actually have no booty at all, so for it to make me look like i have a big booty is saying something! lol

with regards to the pear shape appearance of the front, do you think thats a result of the cut of the jacket, or my body shape? I do have some love handles, so i dont have that natural "V" look.

I'm 50/50 on whether to get a new remake or just flat out return it. i'd still like to believe though because it's hard for me to find OTR suits that fit my body for an inexpenisve price.


Lets say I returned it for a remake, what adjustments would you tell them to get rid of the collar gap, get ride of the big booty flaring and the pear shape front?
post #2166 of 3201
It's amazing how much insight you can get on a person's body based on the way a suit fits them. My guess (check this with a physiotherapist) you have an anterior pelvic tilt, as well as you hips being off balance with your right hip slightly forward. This causes your left shoulder to go down a little (problem at the neck) and the booty action which is worse on the left side). No suit you will ever buy will compensate for that. You have to get something that almost fits and can be altered. Different brands cater to different body types, so it's not bad too go out and try a bunch of stuff on. (ie: Armani is very good for people with rounded shoulders, theory is good for an athletic build). It's often better finding something that works with you than MTM (unless done by a tailor who measures you and can see all those little things) if you do not have a body with absolutely perfect posture, which most people don't.
post #2167 of 3201
http://www.giltcity.com/national/indochinogc

Gilt and Indochino with a deal on a 2-piece, shirt, and tie at $339 down from $527 (35% off).

Not sure if this is worth it as I need a first suit but the negatives on this thread are crazy.
post #2168 of 3201

I'm considering trying Indochino out with the current gilt deal, but I have a question for those with experience or know how the process works:

 

Since they refund your tailor costs up to $75, what exactly has to be wrong with the suit for you to send it back to them for a "remake"? I'm new to suits so I'm the answer isn't too complicated but I'm wondering if it would be possible to, when giving them your measurements, give them certain ones that are a little bigger than you actually measured and then maybe you can avoid having to send it back and just have your tailor adjust it down from there?

 

From what I've learned so far I'm assuming this wouldn't apply to the shoulders/chest area but it would this approach work for anything else?

 

Thanks.

post #2169 of 3201

Double post.

post #2170 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef View Post

octoberfile - i think i agree with you. looking at the side pics i dont like how it flares out so much. i actually have no booty at all, so for it to make me look like i have a big booty is saying something! lol

with regards to the pear shape appearance of the front, do you think thats a result of the cut of the jacket, or my body shape? I do have some love handles, so i dont have that natural "V" look.

I'm 50/50 on whether to get a new remake or just flat out return it. i'd still like to believe though because it's hard for me to find OTR suits that fit my body for an inexpenisve price.

Lets say I returned it for a remake, what adjustments would you tell them to get rid of the collar gap, get ride of the big booty flaring and the pear shape front?

You don’t have to actually possess that natural V-shape in order for your suit to accentuate your shoulders and give the appearance of a narrower waistline. A suit should be designed to do those things once altered by a tailor. The suit you purchased from Indochino looks so out of wack that I’m not sure there is much allowance for adequate alterations which would make the suit wearable, but only a tailor will be able to really confirm that.

I suggest you post your pics on the “The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions” thread and see what Despos and a Tailor have to say. They will probably be able to tell you if it’s worth altering and, if so, they may have suggestions as to what to do:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/570


Personally, I’d send the suit back and demand a full refund. I’m not totally against online made-to-measure places. There are good ones and bad ones. However, for a number of reasons, Indochino is proving its self to be one of the bad ones. It's like the Wal-Mart of of mtm.
post #2171 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherchaos41 View Post

I'm considering trying Indochino out with the current gilt deal, but I have a question for those with experience or know how the process works:

Since they refund your tailor costs up to $75, what exactly has to be wrong with the suit for you to send it back to them for a "remake"? I'm new to suits so I'm the answer isn't too complicated but I'm wondering if it would be possible to, when giving them your measurements, give them certain ones that are a little bigger than you actually measured and then maybe you can avoid having to send it back and just have your tailor adjust it down from there?

From what I've learned so far I'm assuming this wouldn't apply to the shoulders/chest area but it would this approach work for anything else?

Thanks.

If you're just hemming the trousers, letting out or narrowing the pants waist, nipping the jacket waist, or hemming the sleeves - all normal stuff - then take it to your tailor and submit a receipt to be reimbursed. If the shoulders are off (tight or loose), the length is wrong, or something needs to be taken in or let out more than an inch, then you should get a remake. Think of it as if you were buying OTR. If it doesn't fit anywhere close in the shoulders or chest or is too short/long then you would reach for a different size. But if the fit is good and you need some tweaks then you have the tailor make them. Same philosophy here.
post #2172 of 3201
Was considering using Indochino to produce 5 suits for a wedding party--my older brother is getting married and, because I'm the only one who knows how a suit is supposed to fit, I've been charged with this task. From reviewing the thread, seems like it's probably not the best option. Probably better off doing J. Crew ludlow suits for everyone.
post #2173 of 3201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSullivan View Post

Was considering using Indochino to produce 5 suits for a wedding party--my older brother is getting married and, because I'm the only one who knows how a suit is supposed to fit, I've been charged with this task. From reviewing the thread, seems like it's probably not the best option. Probably better off doing J. Crew ludlow suits for everyone.

Five suits for five different guys? I wouldn't. That's a ginormous potential headache/disaster just waiting to happen.
post #2174 of 3201
For those who've done the measurements themselves at home, how snug did you get the tape when making measurements around the bicep, neck, thigh, etc.? I've done one round of measurements before ordering but will do another to see how consistent they are.
post #2175 of 3201

I'm about to order one of the 3-piece suits from IC.  For what it's worth, I think my expectations are reasonable given what we're dealing with here.  While some of the comments here focus on quality and consistency of their suits, the vast majority seem to focus on fit.  And we're dealing with a suitmaker that has never seen the purchaser and is going off of imperfect measurements.  Therefore I do not expect to receive a suit that fits perfectly out of the box on the first try...that just seems unreasonable.  Even bespoke custom suits have to be refitted sometimes (that's all my boss wears), and many tailors want the wearer to try it for size at least once as it's being made, and even then the final product may require some tweaking.  So I'm already planning on having to have mine refitted.  Perhaps I'll get lucky and it will only require some minor alterations, but I don't expect it to be perfect on the first try.

 

One of the flaws I find with IC's measurement process is the shoulder sizing that measures from seam to seam across the back of a "well-fitting" shirt.  Well I tried 4 different well-fitting dress shirts from my closet, each a different brand (Coles, Brooks Brothers, Arnold Brant and Nordstrom), and got 4 slightly different measurements for the shoulders.  It seems that not all shirtmakers place the seams in the exact same place, so this would "seem" to be a flaw with IC's measurment technique for shoulders.  I wish IC would just ask for one's typical shirt and/or suit size to factor into their formula, but I suppose I'll just take an average of the 4 and see how that goes. 

 

Now to my question.  Has anyone ordered a 3-piece with "vest fabric" on the vest back instead of lining fabric?  Otherwise does anyone have an opinion on style and/or comfort of vest fabric over lining fabric?  All of my past 3-pieces have had lining fabric, and I like the way the jacket slips right on and off over the vest that way.  But vest fabric seems like it would be unique and perhaps look quite nice.  Thoughts?


Edited by TennesseeJed - 2/10/12 at 10:41am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Indochino suits?