or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cheap MTM Suits & Shirts in NYC - Indochino? Looking for insight/advice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheap MTM Suits & Shirts in NYC - Indochino? Looking for insight/advice! - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic raccoon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

My general impression from reading past threads about the lower cost custom options is that few if any were satisfied with the results. If you don't need the suit immediately, it might be better to save a bit longer so that you can raise the top of your price range to $800-900. At that price, you'd probably be able to use Kent Wang, who has a physical presence in NYC and is known to produce results in the acceptable to very good range. I would be very surprised if anyone is able to identify a reasonable option for you at the quoted price, but I hope I'm wrong!

I'm sorry, I should have clarified: I understand SF's idea of "reasonable" is considerably higher than that of the average population (which I love!) but what I'm looking for is a "stopgap" suit that fits well, and doesn't make me sweat (i.e. summer fabrics and partial or no lining).
 

 

I think I understood generally what you were looking for. I guess I should have been clearer myself: my general impression is that people have been dissatisfied with the custom makers at that price level because the results have been poor by any standard, not by SF's standards. There are mistakes in the measurements or mistakes in how the measurements taken are translated into a cut garment. The jackets come back too short or too big or tight in weird places or with major problems with things like sleeves. The pants come back too tight and poorly fitted. People get remakes, but the remakes aren't significant improvements.

 

My point is that I'm skeptical that anyone is going to give you a recommendation at that price point that you haven't already found that's going to result in something that will be a meaningful improvement over OTR and won't be just as time-consuming to deal with as bargain hunting. That's why I suggested saving for a bit longer to be able to work with someone who seems to be able to deliver.

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic raccoon View Post

How long ago was this? I recall Indochino being very trendy and ridiculous when it first launched years ago, but I was under the impression that they've improved.

Regardless, if they can last me two years, and I can customise them so they're more on the conservative side of trendy, I'd be willing to consider them. I'd like to hear from people who have been to their NYC location though. My primary concern with Indochino is the measurement process.

Meet up was maybe 1 1/2 years ago. Indochino style compared to the SF paradigm as exemplified by the WAYWRN thread is truly trendy and ridiculous. There are numerous MTM options where relatively good taste is the starting point. Beckett and Robb, for example, although not in your area:
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

I think I understood generally what you were looking for. I guess I should have been clearer myself: my general impression is that people have been dissatisfied with the custom makers at that price level because the results have been poor by any standard, not by SF's standards. There are mistakes in the measurements or mistakes in how the measurements taken are translated into a cut garment. The jackets come back too short or too big or tight in weird places or with major problems with things like sleeves. The pants come back too tight and poorly fitted. People get remakes, but the remakes aren't significant improvements.

My point is that I'm skeptical that anyone is going to give you a recommendation at that price point that you haven't already found that's going to result in something that will be a meaningful improvement over OTR and won't be just as time-consuming to deal with as bargain hunting. That's why I suggested saving for a bit longer to be able to work with someone who seems to be able to deliver.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic and hoping that there have been in-store experiences suggesting something better than what I've been reading about their online MTM services.

Right now I simply can't justify any more than $400-500 on a suit, but at the same time I have been making do with a very limited wardrobe and I'm rather sick of it. I'm in NYC now and I have more options and I would love to take advantage of my current situation.

I guess I could revisit my RTW/OTR options, which would likely involve heavy discounts and alterations. But given my requirements (specifically solid colours and partial/no lining) I know it will require quite a bit of time & effort.

I haven't had any luck with TJMaxx, Century 21, or various department stores, but I recently discovered a Saks Off Fifth location in Manhattan, and I'm very eager to check it out when I get a chance.

But again with OTR it seems like partially-lined or unlined suits are very rare. Regardless of material, I feel any lining is too much for me unless the temperatures start to drop below 70°F consistently (and even then, I'm still sweating a lot).

I'm not as familiar with online options in RTW/OTR, and obviously I'm quite sceptical, especially with armhole sizes being how they tend to be...
post #19 of 22

Generally speaking, the less the lining, the more demanding it is of the maker of the suit (factory or tailor). So it's unsurprising you have trouble finding unlined/half lined jackets under your low price ceiling.

 

Also, may i ask if you have a strong reason for sticking only to solids? Pinstripes, subtle checks, and birdseyes can be just as formal.

post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post

Generally speaking, the less the lining, the more demanding it is of the maker of the suit (factory or tailor). So it's unsurprising you have trouble finding unlined/half lined jackets under your low price ceiling.

I'm aware of this fact, but was hoping it'd be a bit easier than it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post

Also, may i ask if you have a strong reason for sticking only to solids? Pinstripes, subtle checks, and birdseyes can be just as formal.

Because I need a solid coloured suit. frown.gif

As I mentioned previously, I have been thrifting for years (as well as discount shopping) where it's usually everything but the staples.

I own a number of subtle patterned and striped sportcoats and suits, but no solids suitable for warmer weather.
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

I think I understood generally what you were looking for. I guess I should have been clearer myself: my general impression is that people have been dissatisfied with the custom makers at that price level because the results have been poor by any standard, not by SF's standards. There are mistakes in the measurements or mistakes in how the measurements taken are translated into a cut garment. The jackets come back too short or too big or tight in weird places or with major problems with things like sleeves. The pants come back too tight and poorly fitted. People get remakes, but the remakes aren't significant improvements.

My point is that I'm skeptical that anyone is going to give you a recommendation at that price point that you haven't already found that's going to result in something that will be a meaningful improvement over OTR and won't be just as time-consuming to deal with as bargain hunting. That's why I suggested saving for a bit longer to be able to work with someone who seems to be able to deliver.

Thank you.

That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping to gather; I was just hoping that it'd be from people who have gone through the measurement process via the physical Indochino location in NYC, rather than online.

My thinking was that by eliminating the addition of another party to the process, i.e. a tailor to take measurements, and have Indochino's staff do it themselves, it would help minimise discrepancies. And not to mention taking advantage of customer service to sort out problems (I often receive excellent service, which people have attributed to my manners and overall demeanor in face-to-face interactions).

But if the quality and construction of the suits are poor by any standard, as you say, then I am definitely going to strike them off my list.

(Perhaps I should have avoided putting "Indochino" in the thread's title altogether!)

Again, I am also open to alternatives, amongst which currently include: Black Lapel, which is tiny bit higher than what I hoped, but they have a location here and have been recommended to me; SuitSupply's in-house tailoring, which of course has its limitations and is not MTM; or just stick with an online MTM service. The third seems to be the most feasible option at the sub-$500 price range.
post #22 of 22

For what it's worth, I was measured in a Toronto Indochino store last year and a few months later ordered a tuxedo set (suit, shirt, tie, links + studs). 

 

I had done months worth of research on the proper fit and style of suits and tuxedos. I'm a musician, so I wear them often, and finally wanted one of my own. I specifically ordered the most traditional options - one button, peak lapels, no vent, flat front pants, no pant cuffs, suspender/braces buttons. And of course, "Danger Zone" monogrammed on the inside of the jacket.

 

Surprisingly, the shirt and tux jacket fit perfectly. I haven't had to have them tailored at all. The pants, however, were too short, in a fashionable way. I tried to have them let out but there wasn't enough material. So, I ordered a remake, but specifically asked for there to be 3-4 inches of extra material (just to be safe!)... I'm supposed to be getting them back tomorrow, and will post pictures when I get some time.

 

Pros: Affordable; intuitive ordering process; their customer service was excellent and ordering a remake on the pants was a cinch. Great fit on the jacket (which is still incredible, given the stories I've read) and the shirt (which is great as well).

Cons: Trendy styling and fit in some areas, as many have mentioned. The waist is a little snug but they leave lots of material to work with, and the pants are measured like their models wear them on their website. If you like absolutely zero break and show a bit of sock, go for it. Otherwise definitely specify what length/break you desire. Finally, I wasn't able to have a functioning buttoniere on the lapel for some reason.

 

 

I had an excellent experience with the Toronto location but your mileage may vary with your local shop. Best of luck.

 

Chris

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cheap MTM Suits & Shirts in NYC - Indochino? Looking for insight/advice!