or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Am I missing something about men's dress shoes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I missing something about men's dress shoes?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 



I work and live in the midwest and have noticed that a lot of men in my city wear this kind of dress shoe. I mean lawyers ,doctors, and even bankers! I have no idea if I am missing something or I am different as I wear lace-up everytume I wear a suit, blazer, or sport coat. However, in my city I find it hard to find men that actually Alden, AE, EG, CJ, or JL.
Edited by Alpha11 - 8/12/16 at 7:14pm
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha11 View Post

31C6jp8wgNL.jpg 15k .jpg file

I work and live in the midwest and have noticed that a lot of men in my city wear this kind of dress shoe. I mean lawyers ,doctors, and even bankers! I have no idea if I am missing something or I am different as I wear lace-up everytume I wear a suit, blazer, or sport coat. However, in my city I find it hard to find men that actually Alden, AE, EG, CJ, or JL.

Very few, if anyone, is going to download your picture.  I certainly won't.  It's best to embed images using the landscape image icon.

 

If your point is that American men, particularly in the midwest (or anywhere outside of NYC, for the most part) wear terrible shoes, well, sure.  Next up, water is wet.

post #3 of 22
This is the shoe LA Guy's talking about:



I find it to be terrible, btw. If you tell me you see lots of men wearing such shoes, I won't call you a liar. It just means that lots of men in your city, whose footwear you happen to notice, have terrible taste in shoes. (Nothing surprising about that, alas.)
post #4 of 22
I just got back from a day in San Francisco. I would say the majority of office/tech dudes were wearing similar rubber or leather soled black square toed shoes or dark sneakers. But the actions of the majority doesn't mean it is an example of refined taste, it just means they are inexpensive, comfortable and common enough to make guys who don't care about fashion/style comfortable purchasing them.


Last night my wife and I went out to a hot new restaurant, lively crowd, expensive, hard to get reservations, women in dresses, most guys had on untucked patterned shirts and these shoes.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you for helping me understand I am not crazy..lol! The funny thing is my girl actually believes I might be missing out ( fashion-wise ) by not owing a pair of them. She too sees men around town with them on and was going to get me a pair until I told it would be best she not throw her money away by buying me a pair.

Rubber sole shoes make my feet sweat and the way they look with a suit just seems odd to me. I feel the same way about loafers with a suit. To me a good pair of oxfords by Edward Green, Crockett and Jones or at the least AE feel and looks better than the shoes in the photo. It is perplexing to me that some guys spend good money on a well made suit and mess up the look with their choice of footwear?
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
This is very disturbing to hear
post #7 of 22
It makes me sick to see a guy in a nice suit and have these horrible shoes on. The only thing these shoes are good for is a good dumpster fire. fing02[1].gif
post #8 of 22
They may not be attractive but the fact is that many of these with the rubber soles are very comfortable and easy to slip on. Far more comfortable than many leather dress shoes. They are kind of the sweat pants of shoes. What are you gonna do?
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
I went to an amusement park last week and wore a pair of AE and my feet felt great for the 8hrs I was there! I could have worn my running shoes but I chose to wear the AE.


IMHO men that get these kind of shoes have yet to discover what a good pair of dress shoes should fit and feel like.

BTW she did not buy them for me.
post #10 of 22

OMG, this is not acceptable! Yea, if you can avoid this please do! If I was going to wear something comfortable I would go for sneakers (with the suit) Then people know you went out of your way to be comfortable. If you wear these shoes with a shoe, people might think you don't know! This is a hard combination to pull off!

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

 

If your point is that American men, particularly in the midwest (or anywhere outside of NYC, for the most part) where terrible shoes, well, sure.  Next up, water is wet.

 

 

Sadly this seems to be a repetitive theme for most men on the subject of dressing themselves. I just had a lengthy discussion yesterday about whether my AE cap toe chukkas, and suede longwing brogues with double oak soles were dress or casual shoes.

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

They may not be attractive but the fact is that many of these with the rubber soles are very comfortable and easy to slip on. Far more comfortable than many leather dress shoes. They are kind of the sweat pants of shoes. What are you gonna do?

1) Am going to wear my Robert Geller "Richard" pants today, which are essentially glorified track pants.  Will love it.

 

2) There are better and worse sweatpants.  Whether you like the trend/style or not, there are certainly better sweatpants and worse ones.  Same for rubber soled shoes.  These are among the worst.  If you want a pair of shoes that are comfortable and easy to slip on, brands from Common Projects to Bottega Veneta make them,  If you want to be more "dressy", a pair of Ferragamo or Gucci loafers are both iconic and at least in the case of Ferragamo, reasonably understated.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

I just got back from a day in San Francisco. I would say the majority of office/tech dudes were wearing similar rubber or leather soled black square toed shoes or dark sneakers. But the actions of the majority doesn't mean it is an example of refined taste, it just means they are inexpensive, comfortable and common enough to make guys who don't care about fashion/style comfortable purchasing them.


Last night my wife and I went out to a hot new restaurant, lively crowd, expensive, hard to get reservations, women in dresses, most guys had on untucked patterned shirts and these shoes.

To be fair, you live in the Bay Area, the home of tech startups and other dubious life choices.

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

1) Am going to wear my Robert Geller "Richard" pants today, which are essentially glorified track pants.  Will love it.

2) There are better and worse sweatpants.  Whether you like the trend/style or not, there are certainly better sweatpants and worse ones.  Same for rubber soled shoes.  These are among the worst.  If you want a pair of shoes that are comfortable and easy to slip on, brands from Common Projects to Bottega Veneta make them,  If you want to be more "dressy", a pair of Ferragamo or Gucci loafers are both iconic and at least in the case of Ferragamo, reasonably understated.

I say if you are going to spend the money on a nice suit then you have some type of understanding of presenting yourself professionally therefore, complete the look by not putting these kind of shoes on with a suit. You can have comfortable dress shoes without resorting to rubber slippers.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha11 View Post


I say if you are going to spend the money on a nice suit then you have some type of understanding of presenting yourself professionally therefore, complete the look by not putting these kind of shoes on with a suit. You can have comfortable dress shoes without resorting to rubber slippers.

This is not a great assumption, but I agree with you.  If leather soles are a problem, and they can be in some climates, especially those with a lot of rain or snow, Vibram and Dainite both have soles that work as good dress shoe outsoles.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Menswear Advice
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Am I missing something about men's dress shoes?