or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Expensive Suits - Can anyone tell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Expensive Suits - Can anyone tell - Page 5

post #61 of 143
Anyone watched the movie "Youth" with Michael Caine? I did few days ago so kind of recent example.
In the starting scene when he is sitting and talking with Queens emissary I thought "what a suit...", and started to analyse what is it I like. Cloth was some crazy light grey chalk stripe flannel, fitted perfectly around neck and shoulders... But I was sold on the first impression.
Even though I'm not subscriber to that British aesthetics and all that jazz...
post #62 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

Also, what denotes an item as being expensive? Most individuals I run into would never pay $200 for a pair of dress slacks. Do people on this thread consider a pair of $200 dress pants expensive or cheap?

Cheap.

I had trousers made in the late 90s by a "no name" tailor in San Francisco for $400 a pair.
Some of my jeans run over $200
post #63 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post


Cheap.

I had trousers made in the late 90s by a "no name" tailor in San Francisco for $400 a pair.
Some of my jeans run over $200

Yep cheap.

 

I pay more than that to get my pants brought in when I lose weight. 

post #64 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentgrad View Post
 

Here are three suits that range from what I consider cheap to expensive. Maybe, they're all photo-shopped, but to my untrained eye, I might notice something about style(number of buttons, lapel width), but beyond that they all look about the same.

 

It is much harder to tell online through a model picture. 

 

post #65 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjulia026 View Post
 

a person always wants to be updated by looks.

 

Not true for all of us. :D

post #66 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjulia026 View Post

Style changes day-by-day so a person always wants to be updated by looks.So I have been looking for exclusive new collection which I want to purchase.

Sounds like what you really want is some drastic plastic surgery.
Unless you want to look ridiculous (and then you're on wrong side of forum) male style doesn't change that quickly.
post #67 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjulia026 View Post
 

Style changes day-by-day so a person always wants to be updated by looks.So I have been looking for exclusive new collection which I want to purchase.

It's fashion that changes day-by-day, your personal style does not, necessarily.  This forum is devoted to classic styles. So, fashion isn't generally lauded.

And when people purchase expensive clothing, they usually would want to buy items that are timeless, and hence, look better as it ages and cannot be dated easily.

 

It's my opinion, but cheaply made clothes may look nice when new, but hardly ever stand the test of time.   

post #68 of 143

I think you have to consider value rather than price. Something might be in a price range one would consider 'expensive' but it offers value far superior to even higher priced items. This is how the majority of the members here judge their purchases (I believe).

 

A perfect example is a pair of shoes. Sure, you can get a pair of Florsheims but once that sole wears out, the shoes are trash. Alternatively, you can spend $500 on a pair of Carminas that will last you 15 years and multiple resolings if you care for them properly. You spent more upfront but you got a lot more value out of the item over time. And the Carminas offer better value than even a higher-priced pair of Ferragamos. That's why the members here prefer small, specialized, esoteric brands. The quality and workmanship is generally much better than well-established "luxury" brands and the price-point can be the same or lower. Hence, better value.

post #69 of 143
Most wouldn't know a good suit from something a scarecrow was wearing; 2% will - and you do not known which you are going to meet....
post #70 of 143

@recentgrad I'm curious if you plan on posting the brand / price of your examples.

post #71 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


I would say as someone who runs a business that manufactures clothes, that "fit" does in fact costs and that cost is ultimately reflected in the garment you sell.

 

I wasnt suggesting or proposing that there is no cost in "fit" and of cause all things being equal the identical suit specifically made to fit an individual will cost more than the identical suit in OTR standard which is designed to be a reasonable fit to the non-existant average man.

 

I'd disagree however that a more expensive suit will automatically fit better because of it having used some better construction methods and/or because it has a more prestigeous brand name on the label. Ultimately if the sleeves are too long or the shoulders too wide neither brand nor construction method will make it look better to anyone other than die hard brand fans.

 

What I was effectively saying was that assuming you have the basics covered of a reasonable construction, material etc and had an extra $X to spend on a suit, that the average person are more likely to spot the difference of that extra $X spend if the money was put into ensuring the fit rather than into the fabric brand/quality or the label inside the jacket.  

post #72 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post

I wasnt suggesting or proposing that there is no cost in "fit" and of cause all things being equal the identical suit specifically made to fit an individual will cost more than the identical suit in OTR standard which is designed to be a reasonable fit to the non-existant average man.

I'd disagree however that a more expensive suit will automatically fit better because of it having used some better construction methods and/or because it has a more prestigeous brand name on the label. Ultimately if the sleeves are too long or the shoulders too wide neither brand nor construction method will make it look better to anyone other than die hard brand fans.

What I was effectively saying was that assuming you have the basics covered of a reasonable construction, material etc and had an extra $X to spend on a suit, that the average person are more likely to spot the difference of that extra $X spend if the money was put into ensuring the fit rather than into the fabric brand/quality or the label inside the jacket.  

I'm not an expert on clothes construction, but I think you're wrong. Construction is about fit, and some construction methods require bigger costs, especially if they involve manual work. Now, true that some part of "hand made" is about marketing, but there are parts of suit that do require manual work to fit good, even when they are ready to wear.
post #73 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post

I wasnt suggesting or proposing that there is no cost in "fit" and of cause all things being equal the identical suit specifically made to fit an individual will cost more than the identical suit in OTR standard which is designed to be a reasonable fit to the non-existant average man.

I'd disagree however that a more expensive suit will automatically fit better because of it having used some better construction methods and/or because it has a more prestigeous brand name on the label. Ultimately if the sleeves are too long or the shoulders too wide neither brand nor construction method will make it look better to anyone other than die hard brand fans.

What I was effectively saying was that assuming you have the basics covered of a reasonable construction, material etc and had an extra $X to spend on a suit, that the average person are more likely to spot the difference of that extra $X spend if the money was put into ensuring the fit rather than into the fabric brand/quality or the label inside the jacket.  

You are just wrong. Better construction methods do effect fit dramatically even if we are just talking about quality control. Fundamentally if garments are assembled or tailored properly they tend to fit better and this skill in labor and the time needed for proper construction as well as QC comes with a premium.

Prestige of the brand has nothing to do with it, but I would say, that usually, success comes more from talent and hard work, rather than luck.
Edited by David Reeves - 8/12/16 at 8:38am
post #74 of 143

On the topic of better construction = better fit, it never ceases to amaze me how a full canvas jacket, made in a traditional way (the specifics of which I don't pretend to fully understand), will actually mold itself to your body over time. The heat of the sun and the body, the natural humidity in the air, and gravity itself seem to conspire to make the guts of the jacket pliable and alive. After a time, it settles in around your frame and seems to slip easily over the contours of the individual body, much like a well worn pair of shoes conforms to the shape of your foot.

post #75 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

On the topic of better construction = better fit, it never ceases to amaze me how a full canvas jacket, made in a traditional way (the specifics of which I don't pretend to fully understand), will actually mold itself to your body over time. The heat of the sun and the body, the natural humidity in the air, and gravity itself seem to conspire to make the guts of the jacket pliable and alive. After a time, it settles in around your frame and seems to slip easily over the contours of the individual body, much like a well worn pair of shoes conforms to the shape of your foot.

Yep, helps a bunch round the upper chest/shoulders as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Expensive Suits - Can anyone tell