Yes, they've been cuffed since the inception and will continue to be as far as SS 17. And yes, they can be let down. HOWEVER, and I ask you all to pay attention here, especially those who have limited experience with cloth, tailors and tailoring. If the cloth you are altering is wool, you have fewer worries of a successful alteration. If you are working with cotton, linen or other plant based fabrics, here is the concern and I will list them so they are spelled out.
1) The needle from a sewing machine will pierce a plant based fabric ( cotton, linen, tencel etc. ) with a hole that will never go away. So letting out seams can be unsightly because those holes never really shrink up like we'd think they would.
2) Plant based fabrics fade much faster than animal fibers ( wool, cashmere, alpaca etc. ), so when you let something out or expose fabric thats been hidden inside ( such as a cuff ) you will find a difference in color. EG always washes their garments once before delivery to the retailer, so that right there sends up a red flag for me.
3) WEAR. Once a garment has been worn, it experiences certain types of wear. The wear that we look for when altering a garment is at the edge of the bottom of trousers where there's friction against shoes / boots and at the edges of sleeves where a bracelet type watch or just typical wear could inherently gnaw away fiber. This wear mark is not going away and it will be unsightly.
4) Keep in mind, that if you are going to tailor a plant based fabric, shrinkage should be somewhat of a concern. So, because of that nasty wear ring around the bottom of trousers when you let them down, it's alway better to air on the slightly longer measurement because of inherent shrinkage.
5) Curious to know and don't have a tailor. Either use Yelp or find the best mens clothing store in your town and ask them if they take in outside alterations, which Drinkwater's does. Tell them about the concerns that I've listed here and good luck!
We're always here to answer these types of questions and be of service because we are a full service Menswear store and custom tailoring is our forte.