or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice - Page 8

post #106 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post

Florsheim 93605 this morning.



AHS

PS - I'm always on the lookout for vintage Florsheims, Hanovers, Nettletons, etc... in 11 C. Don't be shy about PM'ing me if you see a pair for sale. smile.gif

@AHS, those are just stunning! The 93605 was made up to 1990, and people would not believe how a shoe that is at least 26 year old could look that good. Not to mention the saving over the cost of a similar #8 LWB at this time. I will keep eyes open for 11C if you do the same for me at 11 EEE.

post #107 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post




I would appreciate some help here. I am trying to identify whether or not these are shell cordovan. I don't have the code, so I'm trying to judge these pictures. They have a rubber heel instead of the suicide cleat, and that black leather over the insole, which makes me think "probably not".
But the leather looks kind of "puffy" on the vamp near the wingtip, which makes me think "maybe".
What do you think?
I've got the code. Can anyone help interpret this?
post #108 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

@AHS, those are just stunning! The 93605 was made up to 1990, and people would not believe how a shoe that is at least 26 year old could look that good. Not to mention the saving over the cost of a similar #8 LWB at this time. I will keep eyes open for 11C if you do the same for me at 11 EEE.

Thanks, smfdoc! My modest collection of vintage Florsheims includes a shell PTB (93606), shell longwing (93605), the 93602 brown lonwings with the new red vibram sole, and a pair of 96624 black calf longwings. I've been very patient and disciplined to wait for pairs: (1) in my unusal size and (2) that were in very good / excellent condition.

And, yes, will definitely keep an eye out for anything desirable in an 11 EEE.

AHS
post #109 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I've got the code. Can anyone help interpret this?

This is from an addictive blog written by @davidVC, a member of this forum:

http://vcleat.com/florsheim-model-numbers-1950s-90s/

AHS
post #110 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post

This is from an addictive blog written by @davidVC, a member of this forum:

http://vcleat.com/florsheim-model-numbers-1950s-90s/

AHS
Thank you.
It looks like this is a Varsity model.
post #111 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHS View Post

This is from an addictive blog written by @davidVC, a member of this forum:

http://vcleat.com/florsheim-model-numbers-1950s-90s/

AHS
Thank you.
It looks like this is a Varsity model.

 

Yes, the 30831 model is listed on David's Vcleat.com site and is a Varsity "Cordo." Despite the name, David noted in answers in the comment section that the 30831 "Looks like corrected leather to me." The date code on your shoe indicates August of 1968, 1978, 1988, 1998, etc. If I had to guess, I would say 88, but that is a guess.

post #112 of 280
Thread Starter 

David at vcleat.com routinely posts the results of his digging through Ebay for vintage shoes and his efforts at rehabilitation them to a good working shoe again. Once of these are the fairly rare Freeman Bootmaker guild longwings. They have some nice subtle design elements and appear to have sold in the latter part of the 1960s. I would love to find a similar pair, to add to my many other long wings. Drop by his site to read the account by clicking here. His photos were used with permission.

 

 

 

 

post #113 of 280
70s years old Stetsons Avenues out for a walk today and then back to familiar surroundings. Original laces BTW as well!







post #114 of 280
Thread Starter 

Happily back on the West coast and out running errands in vintage Hanover LWB. You forum members in the path of Hurricane Matthew keep dry and get the heck out of the way.

 

post #115 of 280
I purchased these 2-3 years ago, previously owned. I do not see anything that tells me the company that made or sold them. They have the same markings on the inside as a pair of Royal Tweed shoes that I own, so I have assumed that they were made by Cheaney. However, these have a Biltrite heel (and sole?). Perhaps they are Dacks.
I'm not sure what this leather is though. Is it shark? Is it water bison?
post #116 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post

I purchased these 2-3 years ago, previously owned. I do not see anything that tells me the company that made or sold them. They have the same markings on the inside as a pair of Royal Tweed shoes that I own, so I have assumed that they were made by Cheaney. However, these have a Biltrite heel (and sole?). Perhaps they are Dacks.
I'm not sure what this leather is though. Is it shark? Is it water bison?

I think your skin choices are on the mark. Dacks did make water bison shoes and they do have a pebbled look that are similar to yours. Strong possibility. The shark leather can certainly look like yours as well, but it is hard to tell with the single photo. I find looking at the sides of the shoe, with the larger section of,rather that is not covered in brogue or stitches, helps give a better view of the leather and may help identify what they used.
post #117 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I think your skin choices are on the mark. Dacks did make water bison shoes and they do have a pebbled look that are similar to yours. Strong possibility. The shark leather can certainly look like yours as well, but it is hard to tell with the single photo. I find looking at the sides of the shoe, with the larger section of,rather that is not covered in brogue or stitches, helps give a better view of the leather and may help identify what they used.
Good idea, looking at the sides of the shoe in more detail.

I'm pretty sure now that these are water bison.
post #118 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreams99 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I think your skin choices are on the mark. Dacks did make water bison shoes and they do have a pebbled look that are similar to yours. Strong possibility. The shark leather can certainly look like yours as well, but it is hard to tell with the single photo. I find looking at the sides of the shoe, with the larger section of,rather that is not covered in brogue or stitches, helps give a better view of the leather and may help identify what they used.
Good idea, looking at the sides of the shoe in more detail.

I'm pretty sure now that these are water bison.

 

I completely agree on the water bison now. I have noticed that some shark has long "ridges" as opposed to the pebbled look. These are well seen on the toe box of my shark Belmonts. Nice find on the bison long wings. Now, it would be nice if you could figure out who made them.

 

post #119 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post

I completely agree on the water bison now. I have noticed that some shark has long "ridges" as opposed to the pebbled look. These are well seen on the toe box of my shark Belmonts. Nice find on the bison long wings. Now, it would be nice if you could figure out who made them.


I'd love to find some shark in my size.
I'm pretty certain that my shoes were manufactured by Cheaney. I think that there's a good possibility that they were sold as Dacks.
post #120 of 280
Thread Starter 

I finally decided to get out of the house today and was inspired to wear my sharkskin Belmonts. Majestic creatures, able to detect blood several miles away, that sends them speeding to attack with gnashing teeth. Dark, soulless eyes, without conscience or remorse as they slash to kill whatever lies ahead. I refer, of course, to tonight's "presidential" debate. Also known as "Sunday Night Springer."

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice