• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most pretentious coffee/espresso drink ever

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in starbucks quite a bit as of late and I've heard some people order all kind of these things which some outright pretentious. What's the worst you've ever heard anyone order? You know like the tall soy carmel machiato latte with no foam and extra extra (sweet and low).

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'll have an Austrian goat milk double-half-caf-half-decaf-soy milk cappuccino - extra hot - with a dash of Madagascar cinnamon-and half tablespoon of caramel-latte-frappa-mocha... and keep the change -- you look like you could use a haircut, hippie.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there're more than 3 words in it, it's yuppity.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"I'll have one of those vanillabullshitlattecappa things."

lefty

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i get a coffee (or 'tall drip' as they call it) and leave room for cream, i put half/half in it and dont mix it, shaken not stirred, no sugar. and that is my pretentious drink.
i take a sip of it, and then i make my eyebrows askew like The Rock does, and then say, 'hmmm' and take my laptop out and sit there pretending like i am doing something on the laptop.
no just kidding. i never brought a laptop to starbucks or brought something to study. how can you, with all the distractions?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work at starbucks...

My drinks are fairly labor intensive.

Buy san pellegrino,
($1.64)
Pour into iced venti cup, add lemonade up to the second line, 2 pumps of melon syrup, a drop of strawberry sauce(the thing they use for the strawberries and cream frappuccino) and ice. It's like tart sparkling lemonade without much sugar.
I usually walk the barista through the process.

My other usual beverage is a triple tall 2 pump vanilla 2 pump almond organic latte.

ms244

Reaction score
Once I got a regular coffee and asked if I could get some ice for my nalgene bottle ( I get the water out of the cooler at the lab).

One of the employees, an older lady (40s?), thought it was genius that I would just mix my own ice-milk-coffee- concoctions and not pay the extra $3.

I'm not sure what that warranted from the below list.

crackup[1].gif

marchal.gif

plain.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the complex drinks Starbucks is able to make, why does their plain espresso always taste charred
plain.gif
?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the lattes are made with espresso.

just get iced coffee. get like an extra sweet tall iced coffee in an iced venti cup (most baristas will over pour giving you more than you should get) and add milk at the condiment bar...

edit^ espresso machines not calibrated, and they use automatics. I miss the old manual ones where the barista had a little more control over the shots. the shot times are so erratic that you practically have to pray for a good shot. If you want to be anal about it, walk into a manhattan starbucks, get a double espresso, and use a stop watch to time the shots. If it's not 15-19 seconds(it's usually about 10-12 at crappy sbux) then it's not calibrated. Even then, it's pretty damn hard to coax the caramel undertones out of the espresso roast that they use. Oh well.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
With all the complex drinks Starbucks make is able to make, why does their plain espresso always taste charred
plain.gif
?

In order to taste 'coffee' through all of the syrup, cream, and sugar, they over-roast their beans. They specialize in coffee-flavored drinks, not real coffee.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The drip coffee is always burnt.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
In order to taste 'coffee' through all of the syrup, cream, and sugar, they over-roast their beans. They specialize in coffee-flavored drinks, not real coffee.

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
The drip coffee is always burnt.

That's why I always like to go to a smaller, mid-sized coffee house in my area rather than a huge chain like Starbucks. Not only are the drinks generally better (although smaller self-owned coffeehouses can be hit or miss) they're regularly less expensive as well.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything but Irish coffee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics