or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dupioni silk suiting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dupioni silk suiting

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Which mills/merchants offer pure dupioni silk suiting fabric?

 

post #2 of 8
I have Dupioni by Scabal and Loro Piana. There may be other merchants, but those two are enough for me for such a niche fabric.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

does it wear hot or cool?

What seasons would it suit well?

How does it wrinkle/crease?

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy View Post

does it wear hot or cool?
What seasons would it suit well?
How does it wrinkle/crease?

I have never made one for myself or a client but I am seriously thinking of doing one for myself. I imagine it would be more of a spring suit or something you could wear more formally in the evening all year round. What I have would probably wear too hot for late summer and too delicate and light for fall/ winter, I wouldn't want to get rain on it.

Wrinkling and creasing shouldn't be too bad, I have a 100% silk suit and many other suits with silk in them and they have very good "memory retention" especially for the weight. Wont be the same as a tweed or a heavy Lesser but should hold up pretty well.

Its rather expensive cloth especially for something of fairly limited use, my chrome looking zegna silk suit is rather nice but I don't wear it often, just too scary. Its too dressy and nice for everyday but by the same token I wouldn't want to wear it at a big party......maybe a christening or communion really is the place to wear it.

The dupioni I have from Scabal is particularly beautiful but it doesn't look like Michaels', his has two colors in it, these are solid colors.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post
maybe a christening or communion really is the place to wear it.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDlBLvc3YE

post #6 of 8

I have used Dupioni from Loro Piana. Very costly! The "slubs" mask some of the wrinkling that is part of light silk. Silk  does not breathe - it wears hotter than pure fiber non silks of comparable weight. Through the years I made a fair number of blazers and a few suits and a few dinner suits. The blazers are wearable through most of the year.

Paul Winston

Winston Tailors/www.chippneckwear.com

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippneckwear View Post
 

I have used Dupioni from Loro Piana. Very costly! The "slubs" mask some of the wrinkling that is part of light silk. Silk  does not breathe - it wears hotter than pure fiber non silks of comparable weight. Through the years I made a fair number of blazers and a few suits and a few dinner suits. The blazers are wearable through most of the year.

Paul Winston

Winston Tailors/www.chippneckwear.com

Is the shine comparable to the Dormeuil mohair blend?

Approximately how much does it run per metre?

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy View Post

Is the shine comparable to the Dormeuil mohair blend?
Approximately how much does it run per metre?

Maybe a bit shinier than something like Tonik but similar. Well if I made you a Tonik mohair 2 piece it would run at 5000 if I did a Dupioni it would be 7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dupioni silk suiting