or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brexit - Page 7

post #91 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Whenever I'm having a bad day I remind myself how shitty all your days are.

My days are fine. They're even better when I get free entertainment here.
post #92 of 383
Why am I getting ads for tani underwear? Seriously?
post #93 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post


Why do they keep showing this doorway in photos? Is this the entrance to his house?

tumblr_inline_mxfy0mhaAc1rcxiap_zpsca511d5e.gif~c200

post #94 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby View Post

It's pretty shameful to see the amount of hate old people are getting from young leftists. Quite a few wanting the result to be overturned because it didn't get 75% turnout and 60% favouring one way or the other, because democracy is great but only if your side wins.

Unlike the hate these young lefties constantly get, being called sheltered and self-absorbed and all.
post #95 of 383


DailyFail comments section of Leave voters. "Oops"
Edited by the shah - 6/25/16 at 9:22am
post #96 of 383
Meh, Cameron is not going to pull the trigger on article fifty. And I sincerely doubt that there is anyone in either labour or the tories that dares to, as the economic consequences will ensure that it is the end of their political career. This will end up in deadlock, until one of them has the feeling that there is enough buyers remorse to backtrack on this.

The UK has already been 'Faraged' to the tune of some 150 billion and a 10% drop in the pound as a warning, I doubt that many people will want to proceed.
post #97 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Meh, Cameron is not going to pull the trigger on article fifty. And I sincerely doubt that there is anyone in either labour or the tories that dares to, as the economic consequences will ensure that it is the end of their political career. This will end up in deadlock, until one of them has the feeling that there is enough buyers remorse to backtrack on this.

The UK has already been 'Faraged' to the tune of some 150 billion and a 10% drop in the pound as a warning, I doubt that many people will want to proceed.

Even the most pro Brexit knew there would be a temporary fall, this isn't an argument unless it continues for a while, markets aren't very good judges of anything beside the immediate (and even then).

Britain will absolutely have to "pull the trigger" on article 50, however the 2 yrs period for nego might very well be used for a re-work of certain EU arrangements that would bring back UK into the fold.
post #98 of 383
Meh, I live in Northern England and you could actually feel the positive buzz and see the happiness on peoples faces this morning where I live.

The currency/markets will recover very quickly

The other member states will do the same

The EU will implode

The World will be a slightly better place

It's not that big a deal smile.gif
post #99 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Even the most pro Brexit knew there would be a temporary fall, this isn't an argument unless it continues for a while, markets aren't very good judges of anything beside the immediate (and even then).

Britain will absolutely have to "pull the trigger" on article 50, however the 2 yrs period for nego might very well be used for a re-work of certain EU arrangements that would bring back UK into the fold.

Touche on the markets, yet they are an indicator. All FDI has gone on full stop, and will stay that way for the coming years until the mess is sorted out. That is a direct loss, although opportunity loss is hard to measure. The fall of the pound however to me is a different matter, once they disengage from the common market there will be a lot less need for GBP, and simply drop in value.

On the UK 'having' to pull the trigger I disagree. It wasn't a binding referendum and parliament is sovereign, if the tories don't want to do it new elections are needed. Which is also one way out of the mess , to write out new elections, and have the parties make clear statements on going forth or backtracking. Let the new elections work as a second referendum and be done with it.

As an aside, the age statistics I found the most interesting and sadly not available in the Netherlands.. I just hope that this referendum works as a wake up call for the younger generations to become more politically engaged.
post #100 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

I just hope that this referendum works as a wake up call for the younger generations to become more politically engaged.



good luck
post #101 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Touche on the markets, yet they are an indicator. All FDI has gone on full stop, and will stay that way for the coming years until the mess is sorted out. That is a direct loss, although opportunity loss is hard to measure. The fall of the pound however to me is a different matter, once they disengage from the common market there will be a lot less need for GBP, and simply drop in value.

On the UK 'having' to pull the trigger I disagree. It wasn't a binding referendum and parliament is sovereign, if the tories don't want to do it new elections are needed. Which is also one way out of the mess , to write out new elections, and have the parties make clear statements on going forth or backtracking. Let the new elections work as a second referendum and be done with it.

As an aside, the age statistics I found the most interesting and sadly not available in the Netherlands.. I just hope that this referendum works as a wake up call for the younger generations to become more politically engaged.

The referendum isn't binding but going against it would be too high a cost AND EU would not allow it, to avoid further defections. Course-correction will be done through negotiations.
post #102 of 383
If Scotland and/or Ireland left UK would EU welcome them?
post #103 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

If Scotland and/or Ireland left UK would EU welcome them?

If it fucks over England then yes.
post #104 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

If Scotland and/or Ireland left UK would EU welcome them?

Ireland is already in the EU, what will happen is a renewed call for a united Ireland (Northern Ireland + Ireland) in the EU and using the euro. Scotland well why not, it isn't even a matter of revenge, that is basically the will of citizens over there. I don't think the EU authorities will be vengeful btw, just rather stiff in their negotiating positions as they want to avoid other countries leaving. They won't give UK the same status as countries who elected not to join from the start but wanted some accommodations (say Switzerland).
post #105 of 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

If Scotland and/or Ireland left UK would EU welcome them?

Part of the reason the Scots voted against splitting from the UK last time was because the EU was very negative about Scotland joining. With the UK exit there is no longer a relationship with the UK to preserve so I would expect the EU to allow Scotland to apply to join. Becoming a member might take a while though.

I cannot see Northern Ireland leaving the UK, the Loyalist majority is far to high.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money