or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 474
Tassel loafers are more mainstream than spectators or weaved shoes. They are very popular with NE trad/ivy, and commonly seen throughout Europe. Having said that, someone in the Northeast may raise an eyebrow towards then while they are non issue in the south, and in fact quite common.

I saw a gentleman in his 60s at an evening function wearing bit loafers, a linen tan with navy windowpane and an orange tie. This is classic southern.
post #92 of 474
On another note, this thread and my eminent departure from the south this coming fall led me to order my first two bow ties last night. I decided to sport them in a proud southern manner while still living down here.
post #93 of 474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomx View Post

Tassel loafers are more mainstream than spectators or weaved shoes.

 

I agree with this. I have seen tassel loafer in Europe frequently and I actually still have a pair that I purchased from a European store in the Middle East. On the other hand, where else but the U.S. can you buy weaved, skirted, tassel loafers!?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomx View Post

On another note, this thread and my eminent departure from the south this coming fall led me to order my first two bow ties last night. I decided to sport them in a proud southern manner while still living down here.

 

I know how you feel. I was not born southern, as many know, but I went to a southern university and picked up on much of the style of dress there. I only found myself being self-conscious about wearing Southern Trad clothes after I left. But proudly self-conscious.


Edited by Caustic Man - 6/16/16 at 5:02pm
post #94 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

I agree with this. I have seen tassel loafer in Europe frequently and I actually still have a pair that I purchased from a European store in the Middle East. On the other hand, where else but the U.S. can you buy weaved, skirted, tassel loafers!?

Murica!

I will be posting bow tie photos hopefully next week.
post #95 of 474
Thread Starter 

:slayer:

post #96 of 474
Thread Starter 

Need some assistance from the Trad experts. I'm looking at a pair of topsiders but I can't decide between Sahara and Amaretto. What color would you get? Any thoughts on what would be more versatile in a casual summer context?

 

^^^ Amaretto

^^^ Sahara

post #97 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Need some assistance from the Trad experts. I'm looking at a pair of topsiders but I can't decide between Sahara and Amaretto. What color would you get? Any thoughts on what would be more versatile in a casual summer context?

This is a non question. Amaretto for life. All other color ways bow down.
post #98 of 474
Thread Starter 

Well that was certainly emphatic. :D

post #99 of 474
I wore the amarettos throughout high school, college and grad school. I've been meaning to get another pair for ages. Thanks for reminding me.
post #100 of 474
Thread Starter 

While I've got you, how is the fit? True to size? I usually wear a 9.5 in most loafers.

post #101 of 474
Yep, TTS and definitely the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I use to get cloned on SF for wearing my old beat up ones, but it was all worth it.
post #102 of 474
I bought a belt adorned with some hand tooled rebel flags and cannons at a flea market in Macon, GA a few years back..
post #103 of 474
I find that the boat shoe/penny loafer hybrids are a fantastic way to depart from the herd of southerners wearing their boat shoes, in a quiet, subtle, and tasteful way.

Also, if you can get it, the tone on tone sole is more versatile than the equivalent models with a contrasting white sole.



post #104 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post



Greatest post ever. College was great.
post #105 of 474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post

I bought a belt adorned with some hand tooled rebel flags and cannons at a flea market in Macon, GA a few years back..

 

Pics or it didn't happen.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I find that the boat shoe/penny loafer hybrids are a fantastic way to depart from the herd of southerners wearing their boat shoes, in a quiet, subtle, and tasteful way.

 

I'm not sure how I feel about these. I don't much care for mixed metaphors.

 

Anyway, I'm not sure how southern whole-cuts are but I think the rest makes up for it. This is my attempt at Southern Dandy, although I also oddly submitted it for the Pitti Friday Challenge. Possibilities for strange crossovers...

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread