or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 474
Thread Starter 

Toledo, that explains it. As I mentioned, by wife is from (very) small town western PA. She loves Chicago too. I suspect that it's mostly people from small towns who would voluntarily live in the vile crush of humanity that is a major metropolis. As the Grinch said "All the noise, noise, noise, noise..."

post #272 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Toledo, that explains it. As I mentioned, by wife is from (very) small town western PA. She loves Chicago too. I suspect that it's mostly people from small towns who would voluntarily live in the vile crush of humanity that is a major metropolis. As the Grinch said "All the noise, noise, noise, noise..."

Well, no one calls Toledo a bustling metropolis but it's not a small town.World class art museum, symphony and zoo at a minimum. I'm German-Irish and absolutely love Poles (History major and literature lover). Chicago is awesome. Architecture, food, comedy, people, art, nothing not to love.
post #273 of 474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycl View Post


Well, no one calls Toledo a bustling metropolis but it's not a small town.

 

It is to people from big cities...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:  (JK!)

 

Srsly though, Chi-Town has a lot of problems. If you've ever been to the South Side it is just heartbreaking. The fiscal problems are infuriating. Not everyone is a 2A guy, and I respect that, but it's terrible for gun owners. Then there are the issues of cost of living, police and government corruption, crumbling infrastructure, etc. On the other hand, they have a world class opera and that is super rare.

post #274 of 474
My uncle went to so many black tie events he owned nine tuxedos. If he was still alive I'd tell him his tenth should be this awesome Ben Silver black seersucker tux.

http://www.bensilver.com/Black-Seersucker-Tuxedo,31404.html#.V6Km1Vf3aK0
post #275 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

It is to people from big cities...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:lol:  (JK!)

 

Srsly though, Chi-Town has a lot of problems. If you've ever been to the South Side it is just heartbreaking. The fiscal problems are infuriating. Not everyone is a 2A guy, and I respect that, but it's terrible for gun owners. Then there are the issues of cost of living, police and government corruption, crumbling infrastructure, etc. On the other hand, they have a world class opera and that is super rare.

I completely understand. I just blow in as a tourist and stay in nice hotels downtown, bars, Second City, nice restaurants, etc. I don't live there and don't have to deal with daily life. I missed the "2A" thing, though. What's that?

 

I've owned guns since 1984 but have gotten rid of them all recently. Living in West Texas (one big rifle range) was one thing but urban life is different. Post-Newtown I dumped all my military-style weapons. Anyway, veering way off SF topics now!

 

Okay, today's wardrobe: Belvest light brown wool-linen blend, light blue shirt from Ledbury and green/orange/yellow Regimental. there, that feels better!


Edited by smittycl - 8/4/16 at 11:05am
post #276 of 474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty long legs View Post

My uncle went to so many black tie events he owned nine tuxedos. If he was still alive I'd tell him his tenth should be this awesome Ben Silver black seersucker tux.

http://www.bensilver.com/Black-Seersucker-Tuxedo,31404.html#.V6Km1Vf3aK0

 

Yeah, you'd need to wear black tie, like, half the year to justify a seersucker dinner jacket! It's very cool though. I... I actually kinda want one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycl View Post
 

I completely understand. I just blow in as a tourists and stay in nice hotels downtown, bars, Second City, nice restaurants, etc. I don't live there and don't have to deal with daily life. I missed the "2A" thing, though. What's that?

 

I've ownded guns since 1984 but have gotten rid of them all recently. Living in West Texas (one big rifle range) was one thing but urban life is different. Post-Newtown I dumped all my military-style weapons. Anyway, veering way off SF topics now!

 

Okay, today's wardrobe: Belvest light brown wool-linen blend, light blue shirt from Ledbury and green/orange/yellow Regimental. there, that feels better!

 

2A = 2nd Amendment.

 

So post pics of the fit, already! Inquiring busy bodies want to know.

post #277 of 474

I'll be your huckleberry:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #278 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenR View Post
 

I'll be your huckleberry:

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You aren't known as "Colonel" are you? Quite the Southern Trad look! :smarmy:

post #279 of 474
Thread Starter 

A lot of those are actually not bad in a southern context. Love the madras!

post #280 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Yeah, you'd need to wear black tie, like, half the year to justify a seersucker dinner jacket! It's very cool though. I... I actually kinda want one.

 

 

2A = 2nd Amendment.

 

So post pics of the fit, already! Inquiring busy bodies want to know.

I need to up my knot-tying game first. I can do a feeble 4IH but need to practice on Pratt-Shelby and Half-Windsor. This is a dimple-loving crowd. :embar:

post #281 of 474
Thread Starter 

If you want to please the crowd then forget about the Windsor and the Pratt.

post #282 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycl View Post
 

This is the one I was tracking but it's just a little too broad in the shoulders and long for me. Damn Oxxford always runs big:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OXXFORD-HIGHEST-QUALITY-Blue-Seersucker-2Btn-Flat-Front-Suit-42-42L-NWT-3K-/152156510847?hash=item236d3c1a7f:g:ROsAAOSwcBhWU5Ty

 

Haspel's are around $300 NWT with some eBay vendors. Think I'm going to pull the trigger. This forum is quite inspiring.

 

I've got a Haspel corn blue linen suit, it's nice for the price (picked it up for 300ish), fully lined though! Wish I had known better at the time. Still, it's been my go to wedding suit for the last few years.

On that note, has anyone had much success getting a tailor to remove a jacket's lining? Is it an expensive operation? Imagine there's a fair bit of work involved retaping seems

post #283 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

If you want to please the crowd then forget about the Windsor and the Pratt.

What's the best knot for weapons-grade dimple?

post #284 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycl View Post
 

What's the best knot for weapons-grade dimple?


4IH or double 4IH

post #285 of 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleatedjeans View Post
 

 

I've got a Haspel corn blue linen suit, it's nice for the price (picked it up for 300ish), fully lined though! Wish I had known better at the time. Still, it's been my go to wedding suit for the last few years.

On that note, has anyone had much success getting a tailor to remove a jacket's lining? Is it an expensive operation? Imagine there's a fair bit of work involved retaping seems

Never had a lining removed. I imagine the removal would be easy but unlined jackets have lots of work on the inside seams for appearance sake. Might not be worth the expense to have all the extra work done to keep it from looking like the lining was just ripped out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread