or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rome and Naples: Any Shirtmaker/Tailor Advice, Please....?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rome and Naples: Any Shirtmaker/Tailor Advice, Please....?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Hi, all.

I will be in Rome and Naples next week.

My maximum budget is about 200E. I know Caleffi in Rome is around this price-point, but who else comes to mind when it comes to shirts in either city? Will Naples be a better value, or not really?

Thank you.
post #2 of 15
In Naples you could get shirts with a muslin fitting and plenty of handwork for 200e or less. Not sure that's possible in Rome, but I don't know the market there that well.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Caleffi (in Rome) is either 220E or 230E now, with a two-shirt minimum first order. I'm just wondering if there's anyone comparable in Naples (or Rome) that's also a bit cheaper.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvbs View Post

Caleffi (in Rome) is either 220E or 230E now, with a two-shirt minimum first order. I'm just wondering if there's anyone comparable in Naples (or Rome) that's also a bit cheaper.

Formosa shirts are 200e in Naples (full disclosure: I blog for a store that carries their suits and SCs)

A couple of ppl have written favorably about 3M, which I think is maybe around 100e per shirt, but I've never had them make anything for me.

Anyway long story short, yes you can have it done cheaper in Naples. I don't know anything about Caleffi, so I can't compare, but i would be surprised if it's much better than what you would find in Naples.
post #5 of 15
Jaja and Mimmo Siviglia are both located in Rome. Jaja is a bit more affordable than Siviglia, but the second has more experience (although both are good). IIRC, Jaja is a little less than 200e; Siviglia is maybe around 225. Both specialize in machine-made shirts, although handwork is an option.
post #6 of 15

Is Battistoni in Rome still an option for bespoke shirts?

post #7 of 15
^As far as I know, but they're very expensive. I imagine more than 200e for a shirt.
post #8 of 15

Luciano Lombardi has been recommended several times in the forum.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
This just in...
Jaja starts at 220E per shirt, three-shirt minimum.
Siviglia starts at 240E, six-shirt minimum.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvbs View Post

This just in...
Jaja starts at 220E per shirt, three-shirt minimum.
Siviglia starts at 240E, six-shirt minimum.

Ah, a little higher than I remembered. Does that include VAT deductions? Some shops can give you a form to fill out, which allows you to get a refund back at the airport.

Battistoni is likely higher, but you can stop into their shop just for fun. It's a nice looking place.

The train ride to Naples is short and cheap. You will probably find better deals there. Maybe look into Luca Avitabile and Sartoria Cinque.

Note: almost every place is going to have a minimum on your first order. It's what's needed to draft your pattern. Maybe worth noting if that's an issue.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Ah, a little higher than I remembered. Does that include VAT deductions? Some shops can give you a form to fill out, which allows you to get a refund back at the airport.

Battistoni is likely higher, but you can stop into their shop just for fun. It's a nice looking place.

The train ride to Naples is short and cheap. You will probably find better deals there. Maybe look into Luca Avitabile and Sartoria Cinque.

Note: almost every place is going to have a minimum on your first order. It's what's needed to draft your pattern. Maybe worth noting if that's an issue.

I think you meant Satriano 5.

In any case, actually the biggest difference with France and England, is that Italian bespoke shirtmakers have virtually no minimum orders. I said virtually, as it is unheard of but maybe someone will find an exception to this.

On a separate note from the above quote, I can second to what Unbel said about Naples and I can personally confirm about Luciano Lombardi as he is my main shirtmaker.

In Rome you may also want to investigate the Sabatini sisters, who I have no experience of but carry a general good reputation amongst Italian forums ( pre-blogs and brand abbasadors you see nowadays). They are Located on Via Flaminia, not too central, so not sure how easy to get to.
post #12 of 15
I visited Sabatini and had shirts made there. I also visited Naples on the same trip. There is no comparison on the quality with the Naples shirts being much better. Costs were comparable as I supplied my own cloth. A warning Sabatini speaks no English and more importantly does not take Amex.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcharles View Post

I visited Sabatini and had shirts made there. I also visited Naples on the same trip. There is no comparison on the quality with the Naples shirts being much better. Costs were comparable as I supplied my own cloth. A warning Sabatini speaks no English and more importantly does not take Amex.

Thanks for the feedback on your direct experience. Did they make for you their famous "reverse" collar? It is basically made so that the edges of the collar puff up on the facing sides.

Also, who are/were your comparable in Naples?
post #14 of 15
Marco, in Napoli I met with and have worked with both D'ambrosio and Vittoria Fluido. Both make shirts that in my opinion are superior to Sabatini. I found both to be more user friendly as well.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcharles View Post

Marco, in Napoli I met with and have worked with both D'ambrosio and Vittoria Fluido. Both make shirts that in my opinion are superior to Sabatini. I found both to be more user friendly as well.
Thanks for the info
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rome and Naples: Any Shirtmaker/Tailor Advice, Please....?