or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HELP ME create the Styleforum communities world cities shopping maps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP ME create the Styleforum communities world cities shopping maps.

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

One of the initiatives we'd like to start is to create city shopping maps.  "What should I do when I go to Rome/London/Paris/NYC/etc...   So far, we have maps for Boston, San Francisco, New York, Paris, and Florence.  We can't embed google maps here right now, so they are not yet available, but we are going to publish them ASAP.  

 

We are looking to do: Tokyo, London, Seattle, Rome, Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancover, Sydney, and Hong Kong.

 

We'd like to invite members of the community to contribute to creating these maps.  After all, you guys are the experts. I know a handful of cities, and definitely not all of the good stores.   We are looking really at the "best" and "special" stores in each city, and so far, we have the following fields for each store:

 

Name
Address
Category
Brands
Price
Note
Products
Website
Phone

 

If you are interested in contributing to this initiative, please just post in this thread, and I'll PM you.  Or just post if you have any questions.  And please don't be constrained by the cities we've listed.  If there is a great shopping place we've missed, please tell us!

 

Cheers,

 

Fok.

post #2 of 20

What about Chicago? Lots of great places here too.

post #3 of 20
No Seoul? It's the second largest metropolitan area in the world!
post #4 of 20
You should add Vienna to the list. It's great for classical clothing.
post #5 of 20

I can see where this thread is going. :)

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


 "What should I do when I go to Rome/London/Paris/NYC/etc...

Meet people, eat with them, drink with them, sleep with them. Visit some museums, concerts...
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

What about Chicago? Lots of great places here too.

None of our crew is that familiar with Chicago.  Last time I was there was about 8 years ago, I think.  Would you be interested in getting this started?  Once it starts, it could take off.  We could create the map and create the table and show you how to use it, and then we could invite more people to it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

No Seoul? It's the second largest metropolitan area in the world!

Reminds me that I need to go there to eat some fried chicken.  Seriously though, it would be awesome if you would be interested in spearheading this.  I can get it started, but I know exactly zero stores in Seoul.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

You should add Vienna to the list. It's great for classical clothing.

I like Vienna - hope to go this winter.  But I don't know much about shopping there.  Would you be interested in getting a few stores in there, and then letting Viennese locals or frequent visitors pitch in?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

I can see where this thread is going. :)

Indeed.  I suppose that you should have guessed what my answer would be, then.

 

Cheers,

 

Fok.

post #8 of 20

Yes, Vienna would be nice.

 

His name eludes me at the moment, but we have a very well-dressed SF member who actually lives in Vienna.   He posts on WAYWRN from time to time, although he hasn’t recently.  His photos take good advantage of this very photogenic city.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

None of our crew is that familiar with Chicago.  Last time I was there was about 8 years ago, I think.  Would you be interested in getting this started?  Once it starts, it could take off.  We could create the map and create the table and show you how to use it, and then we could invite more people to it.

 

Shouldn't be a problem. I can think of half a dozen stores off the top of my head.

post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Shouldn't be a problem. I can think of half a dozen stores off the top of my head.

Awesome.  I'll try get this made in the next day or so.  I'll also open up Paris and Boston to you so that you can take a look at what it looks like finished.  

 

Man... I.... am.... so... far... behind... everywhere.  

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

One of the initiatives we'd like to start is to create city shopping maps.  

 

LA Guy; you're the ultimate fashion guru! :worship:

I think it would be more user friendly if organized as a separate sub-site; for bigger cities you've mentioned maps, for smaller cities geographical folders. 

Example; Venezia - Italy, not enough data for a map? Insert into a folder so each member can contribute a short description of a shop for a given smaller location. On a static map you can then add dots of various colours, for easy orientation: 1.is the city covered 2.colour and dimension of the dot to show how much data their is. 

 

This could really be the ultimate killer; especially combined with an iPhone/Android application! (it could even bring some revenue) 

post #12 of 20

Would there be two sets of pins, so we could toggle on/off CM/SWD overlays? Is that racist?

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaus View Post
 

LA Guy; you're the ultimate fashion guru! :worship:

I think it would be more user friendly if organized as a separate sub-site; for bigger cities you've mentioned maps, for smaller cities geographical folders. 

Example; Venezia - Italy, not enough data for a map? Insert into a folder so each member can contribute a short description of a shop for a given smaller location. On a static map you can then add dots of various colours, for easy orientation: 1.is the city covered 2.colour and dimension of the dot to show how much data their is. 

 

This could really be the ultimate killer; especially combined with an iPhone/Android application! (it could even bring some revenue) 

 

Smaller cities with only one clothing store of note could be marked with this symbol on the map:

 

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

 

Smaller cities with only one clothing store of note could be marked with this symbol on the map:

 

it would certainly stimulate the installation of dry-walls; how to divide one shop into many.

post #15 of 20
Being new to the scene I can't really provide anything but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Tokyo portion of this initiative.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HELP ME create the Styleforum communities world cities shopping maps.