or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official MMA thread (UFC, Bellator, and whatever else - training, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official MMA thread (UFC, Bellator, and whatever else - training, etc...)

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thought that I'd try to restart this thread.  The boxing one seems to be doing well.

 

Start with some thoughts about tonight's fights.  

 

Rockhold vs. Bisping - Middleweight title

 

I think that Rockhold is the heavy favorite here.  He has a lot more power, his striking is crisper, including very accurate bodykicks with fight ending capabilities.  He has shown a fair bit of durability, spinning heel kick KO loss to Vitor Belfort notwithstanding.  His submissions stills are also considerable, and he has already beaten Bisping via submission once.  Training at AKA has also made him an adept wrestler, albeit not a great one.

 

Bisping does a lot of moving around, but has a lot of bad habits on his feet.  Essentially, a high volume striker without a lot of power, just adequate defense, and some real holes in his defense.  His TKO wins have occurred primarily on the ground via ground and pound, and it's unlikely that he will be able to do this against the bigger, stronger, Rockhold, who incidentally trains with some of the best wrestling based fighters in the UFC, and who are bigger than he is.  He has good cardio, but Rockhold's cardio holds up well also, so taking Rockhold to the later rounds and beating him by attrition either through use of the jab, or the clinch is unlikely.

 

I say look for a KO or TKO win by Rockhold in Round 3, or a submission that is set up by ringing Bisping's bell.

post #2 of 19
I'm skipping tonight's PPV, that's how much I think of the two title fights. Cruz dances around for an easy UD. Unless Rockhold's knee injury is a lot worse than he is letting on, he walks down Bisping, hurts him, then submits him.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

I'm skipping tonight's PPV, that's how much I think of the two title fights. Cruz dances around for an easy UD. Unless Rockhold's knee injury is a lot worse than he is letting on, he walks down Bisping, hurts him, then submits him.

I agree with you on the Rockhold/Bisping fight.  I would like to see though, if we will see Cruz be a little more aggressive against Faber.  Faber has definitely lost a step or five since his heyday in the WEC, and it's unclear that he holds could finish Cruz at this point in any way other than guillotine, which seems highly unlikely.  His take downs are also not what they once were, and he has never been a great defensive fighter.  This really opens up possibilities for Cruz to go for that finish.  I agree that it's unlikely he'll go for it, but it would be cool.  He has been trying to show that he has finishing ability, and well, it being Faber would just be extra incentive for him.

 

The other fights:

 

Lamas vs Hollaway should be a lot of long distance pawing with brief exchanges and occasional clinches initiated by Lamas.  Could go either way, but I have Holloway by UD.

 

Henderson vs. Lombard:  I really wish that Hendo would ride off into the sunset.  Hopefully, this is his swan song.  Lombard stands up extremely straight, and while he has power, is pretty predictable.  I hope that Hendo KOs him, then announces his retirement and that he will be a color commentator opposite Bisping.  Of course, Lombard could potentially ragdoll him, but I have a hard time seeing this happening.

 

Dustin Poirier.  Sigh.  Let's see if he still has it in him.  

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Omg, Dan Henderson.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Woah. Bisping by KO in round 1.

That, that I did not see coming.
post #6 of 19
Well that was unexpected. Lesson: Never leave your hands low and disrespect your opponent's punching power.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Well that was unexpected. Lesson: Never leave your hands low and disrespect your opponent's punching power.

Or keep your chin up in the air.  Or fail to move your head off the centerline as you strike.  Yup, there are a iot of lessons to be learned here.

post #8 of 19
Honestly, calling Bisping the champ is not something I ever expected to do. Fair play to him.
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Honestly, calling Bisping the champ is not something I ever expected to do. Fair play to him.

I think that I can legitimately call this the biggest upset. There was literally zero that said to me that he could beat Rockhold.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

I think that I can legitimately call this the biggest upset. There was literally zero that said to me that he could beat Rockhold.

I think Serra over GSP is still the biggest upset in UFC history. Serra was a journeyman gifted a title shot in a weight class above his normal weight class. Bisping has a been a mainstay in the MW top ten for many years. Sure he already lost to Rockhold once, but he famously bragged that he got the better of Rockhold in a sparring session. Turns out he wasn't lying.

Brock Lesnar will be fighting Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Kind of an odd choice for someone who doesn't react well to getting hit in the head. He's got big brass ones, that's for sure.
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

I think Serra over GSP is still the biggest upset in UFC history. Serra was a journeyman gifted a title shot in a weight class above his normal weight class. Bisping has a been a mainstay in the MW top ten for many years. Sure he already lost to Rockhold once, but he famously bragged that he got the better of Rockhold in a sparring session. Turns out he wasn't lying.

Brock Lesnar will be fighting Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Kind of an odd choice for someone who doesn't react well to getting hit in the head. He's got big brass ones, that's for s
ure.

Serra always had power though. Bisping always seemed like a gatekeeper to me. Good enough to hang, never a real finishing threat to a top level guy, either on the feet or the ground.

Brock is fighting Mark Hunt? Either he is going to get KTFO, or he will ground and pound Mark to death. I predict the latter. Marc is not a volume, pressure guy like Cain, and he stands tall, without the knees of Overeem, and frankly, without that much movement, forward momentum notwithstanding. I think that that fight will be completely one sided, no matter who wins.
post #12 of 19
Kimbo Slice died.
post #13 of 19

I thought: Cool the Metropolitan Museum of Art just got its own thread....then I looked closer....:)

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLondon View Post
 

I thought: Cool the Metropolitan Museum of Art just got its own thread....then I looked closer....:)

So... who do you have winning next Saturday?  Wonderboy Thompson or "Dorky nicknames" Rory MacDonald?

post #15 of 19
The smart money's on Rory, but I have a feeling that this is Wonderboy's time. I'm really interested in seeing how this fight plays out, particularly because these two guys have trained with one another. If Wonderboy wins, I think he defeats Lawler handily.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Official MMA thread (UFC, Bellator, and whatever else - training, etc...)