After years of schlubdom, I've decided I need to overhaul my wardrobe. But I'm wary of ending up buying junk---I recently got two overpriced ties off Yoox that feel like they're made from plastic, despite claims of being 100% silk. So I'm hoping the more knowledgable people here can steer me toward better choices.
Here's a wish list of items I'm looking to get started with:
- A medium-grey suit in the £200-400 range. I recently tossed a couple of older, terribly fitting and very cheap suits from my closet, leaving me with only one (charcoal, from Ede & Ravenscroft). I'm thinking of going to Suit Supply or TM Lewin, but I'm not sure if they're the best choices. I usually find that suits don't fit me well because my lower body is disproportionately large; even after letting out as much as possible in the seat, the trousers still end up feeling tight. Are there good places to buy in London that let you choose the trousers and jacket sizes separately?
- A pair of brown dress shoes, preferably open-toe Oxford or Derby. A derby that could be worn with both jeans and suits would be ideal. I've been looking at Allen Edmonds Carlyle in dark chili, Barker Banbury, or Loake Gables. Any good alternatives in the £100-£200 range? Or any sizing advice for the ones I mentioned? I wear a 10.5G in my casual shoes (Clarks) and a 10G in Loake's 026 last.
- Cufflinks. I'm looking for something square or rectangular, metallic with maybe some blue or black. Some of the ones I've been considering:
http://shop.edeandravenscroft.com/products/silver-and-onyx-square-cufflink-89752 (probably more than I'm willing to pay for something I'll rarely wear)
- Ties: I have no idea where to get nice ties with designs and widths I like. I'm looking for ties with 7-8cm width, with the following designs:
- striped/repp with grey, blue, or black being the dominant colors
- solid, dark navy/midnight blue
- foulard with dark blue background and one or two interlocking patterns in lighter blue. Something like this: http://shop.edeandravenscroft.com/collections/ties/products/navy-teardrop-twill-woven-silk-tie-89243 But I'm not a fan of the teardrops (and the price is pretty high).
- Jeans that actually fit me. Jeans are consistently too tight around the thighs and seat, and too loose around the waist. (This has always been a problem for me, but especially since I started squatting and deadlifting.) The best overall fit I've found is Levis 541, but even they aren't ideal. I have a pair of ugly Old Navy wide legs that fit my thighs and waist perfectly, but they have no taper and billow ridiculously around my calves.
- A lightweight grey wool jacket. I have a heavy wool coat that's far too warm for British winters, and I'm looking for something lighter that would double as a fall/spring jacket. A couple I'm considering are the J Crew university coat and Le Laboureur, but I don't know how heavy they are.
- A casual linen longsleeve button up shirt. I often find that because of my proportions, I need to tuck in my shirts (or have very slim fitting shirts) to avoid them looking like a tent. But most shirts seem to be both very large around the waist and too short to stay tucked.
Any and all advice is welcome.