I have never posted, and definitely don't write as elegantly as most of the regular posters.
I have a few pairs of Dacks (before they closed) and got them at wicked prices (about $100Cdn a pair).
These are my comments:
1. Polished calf skin - Has maintained its own high shine without much maintenance. I don't even apply a shoe cream (I know I know, it's a huge taboo), and the leather has maintained its own natural beauty;
2. Leather feel - It's kind of tough. Not sure how flexible it is relative to contemporaries like Loake and Allen Edmonds;
3. Goodyear welt - Solid, pure and simple. I wear orthotics and I'm on my feet all day. My feet rarely feel tired at the end of the day;
4. My comparisons - Dr. Martens (original Made in England); Hawkins (Made in England), Charles Tyrwhitt (Made in India) and Barker (Made in England). I find MD to be a true dress shoes. Each pair can be used with most of my suit and court outfits, and regularly receive compliments. I find the leather nicer than CT and a notch below Barker;
5. Price point - On the Canadian website, about $325 to $500 (free shipping). Not a bad entry price, and definitely inexpensive when looking at the English cousins;
6. Complaints - No store, and only sold online. Also, the factory won't do the recrafting. Lastly, MD won't disclose who is the current manufacturer. My guess is either Church or Cheaneys.
Anyone else have thoughts on these shoes? Would love to hear from some of the afficiandos. Anyone from outside Canada try this brand? Thoughts?
I will try to post more often. I love reading SF!