• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Church's Shoes 2008

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've defended Church's to the hilt here, and I still think for $3-400, the old custom grades I used to buy were worth every penny. But I was just perusing one of the new mens mags (either GQ or Esky) and noticed a pair of Church's captoes listed at $800 . . . is this a typo? Is there a premium line now?

I remember post Prada when they climbed to $500+, but $800??????

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gulp! I used to love the custom grades too and got plenty of comfortable wear out of mine over the years. But, if the prices you mention are true, then I would rather get a Lobb on sale.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My Custom Grade black longwings were $610 and my football brown pebble chukka boots I think were $645

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weak dollar probably has something to do with it.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I've defended Church's to the hilt here, and I still think for $3-400, the old custom grades I used to buy were worth every penny. But I was just perusing one of the new mens mags (either GQ or Esky) and noticed a pair of Church's captoes listed at $800 . . . is this a typo? Is there a premium line now?

I remember post Prada when they climbed to $500+, but $800??????

There is a Premium line called the 'Royal' which is described as being similar to the old pre-Prada 'Master Class' line. They go for around £390 in UK so the $800 is accurate. Here 's an example from Herring Shoes: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Defending a brand is a good thing in term of nostalgia and loyalty but the latter must be motivated by some factual reasons...

Churchs used to make me dream 10 years ago but since i got 2 pairs,my love for the brand has been seriously dented...
I still believe that they're decent good shoes for a decent price but nothing exceptional...

They're not better than the JM WESTON models for example and do prefer their lasts...

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Defending a brand is a good thing in term of nostalgia and loyalty but the latter must be motivated by some factual reasons...

They're not better than the JM WESTON models for example and do prefer their lasts...

Ermmmm?...... that is of course...... an opinion
lookaround.gif

This,on the otherhand, is a photograph:

IMG_0783.jpg
[/IMG]

So is this...

IMG_0790.jpg
[/IMG]

Church "Sherborne" 130 last

dave5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
There is a Premium line called the 'Royal' which is described as being similar to the old pre-Prada 'Master Class' line. They go for around £390 in UK so the $800 is accurate. Here 's an example from Herring Shoes: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0
If you look at the small print the 390 price includes VAT. sans that, it appears to be about 331

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At £390 ,they're getting very close to the classic John Lobb models....

I just own one pair of monks Westbury and they're ok (no more)...

cimabue

Reaction score
I got a pair of Church's Westburys in black. 'Just had to have 'em. Though nice, they aren't quite as wonderful as I'd hoped they'd be. Lots of problems with sizing, too.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
My Custom Grade black longwings were $610 and my football brown pebble chukka boots I think were $645

SoCal,

Can you post pics of them? Thanks.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
SoCal,

Can you post pics of them? Thanks.

church.jpg

pru002.jpg

cuffs.jpg

boots001.jpg

boots003.jpg

sund.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
church.jpg

pru002.jpg

cuffs.jpg

boots001.jpg

boots003.jpg

Very nice. Didn't you get them last year or so? That would definitely make them post-Prada.

Do any of you experts really know if there is a huge difference pre and post Prada and what makes one or the other better?

John Ellis

Reaction score
I've been buying Church's custom grade for 45 years. I have pairs over 30 years old that have been factory repaired several times and look excellent. I think the last shape was 73 and in all I must have about 15 pairs of different models. I never liked their Monkstrap-the buckle is to prominent. When they were acquired by the Italian handbag company and then subsequently sold to a private equity firm I feared the worst but although I haven't bought a pair for probably five years the quality looks pretty good to me. They are still made at the Church's factory in Northampton so why shouldn't it be. They seem to have put all my old favorites like the Diplomat, Cromwell and Balmoral on a new square toed last and it gives the shoe a more modern look but which still looks very classic. I've noticed the prices creeping up, well you've got to repay all that debt somehow, and I think a pair in NYC is now around $750 which is approaching EG prices but I hear RL are soon going to be charging $1300 for their EG sourced product and this still makes the Church's something of a bargain. In fact I'd argue they've probably been somewhat underpriced relative to their quality. They get mixed notices here but I'm a fan as you can tell. They don't have quite the finish of the EG's and when I could afford it started buying some of his shoes but I'm very fond of my Church's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics