or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gucci Sneakers - Does the quality match the high price tag?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gucci Sneakers - Does the quality match the high price tag?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I've never been one to spend great sums of money on footwear although I have splashed out quite a bit on other areas of my wardrobe recently. Ever since I got a decent job that actually pays good money and demands that I look presentable at all times, I've been getting into expensive suits. It's amazing how much a good suit can transform your style and make you look more suave. I used to just thrown anything on for work as the dress code was pretty relaxed where I used to work. Style therefore and fashion, wasn't really something I cared too much for. These days, I wouldn't say I'm a snob, but I definitely understand the importance of looking good and what it does for your confidence and charisma. To me, spending money on good clothes now seems like a must.

 

I've got some nice shoes to go with my work attire and spending the money on good shoes doesn't bother me as I just wear them for work so the wear and tear is low anyway. Sneakers are a little different though as they tend to get diminished more quickly due to the kind of use they get and never last as long as a good pair of shoes. As I've mentioned, I have never spent a lot of money on sneakers and its for that reason I suppose. Guess I always had one pair does all before. Now I'm thinking maybe get a pair of half decent sneakers for gym and sports stuff but then grab another pair that are for special occasions where I'm going out, want to look smart, but also want to look a bit more casual at the same time. There should be greater longevity and I can then therefore justify spending more on a good pair. This brings me to my question, are men's Gucci sneakers worth anywhere near the money that they are retailing for? Am I purely paying for the name or is the quality high enough to bridge some of that gap between the more reasonably priced brands that maybe aren't as high quality? I would like to think that the latter is the case as I'm really keen on a pair after seeing some of the designs available. I don't know if I'm just getting too caught-up in designer labels though.

post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suavie View Post

I've never been one to spend great sums of money on footwear although I have splashed out quite a bit on other areas of my wardrobe recently. Ever since I got a decent job that actually pays good money and demands that I look presentable at all times, I've been getting into expensive suits. It's amazing how much a good suit can transform your style and make you look more suave. I used to just thrown anything on for work as the dress code was pretty relaxed where I used to work. Style therefore and fashion, wasn't really something I cared too much for. These days, I wouldn't say I'm a snob, but I definitely understand the importance of looking good and what it does for your confidence and charisma. To me, spending money on good clothes now seems like a must.

I've got some nice shoes to go with my work attire and spending the money on good shoes doesn't bother me as I just wear them for work so the wear and tear is low anyway. Sneakers are a little different though as they tend to get diminished more quickly due to the kind of use they get and never last as long as a good pair of shoes. As I've mentioned, I have never spent a lot of money on sneakers and its for that reason I suppose. Guess I always had one pair does all before. Now I'm thinking maybe get a pair of half decent sneakers for gym and sports stuff but then grab another pair that are for special occasions where I'm going out, want to look smart, but also want to look a bit more casual at the same time. There should be greater longevity and I can then therefore justify spending more on a good pair. This brings me to my question, are men's Gucci sneakers worth anywhere near the money that they are retailing for? Am I purely paying for the name or is the quality high enough to bridge some of that gap between the more reasonably priced brands that maybe aren't as high quality? I would like to think that the latter is the case as I'm really keen on a pair after seeing some of the designs available. I don't know if I'm just getting too caught-up in designer labels though.

If you like them and can afford them get them. You are the one that will be wearing them. I am sure they are not bad quality. That being said a big part of the price is the brand name and the particular styling. I dont know how much they cost but a part of the cost any of the big name fashion house sneaker will be the brand name esp when the logo/branding is all over the shoe
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suavie View Post

Am I purely paying for the name
I suspect their quality may be somewhat higher than what you'd see in $15 pair of sneakers at Walmart. But mostly, yeah, you're paying for the Gucci name.

It's sort of how a $125 Gucci key holder is a perfectly fine key holder, but if the name on it were "Acme," it'd sell for under 20 bucks. (I mention this, as somebody gave me a Gucci key holder for Chanukwanzmas, a few months ago.)

But like coldinboston says, if you can afford them without any great financial strain, and you like how they look, feel free to buy them. It's no more foolish than paying a price premium for dinner at a nice restaurant (where the food may not be any more nutritionally complete than at a place charging 1/10 as much), or paying an extra $3500 for a V-6 engine in your new car, even though the 4-cyclinder version would actually do everything you need the car to do. If it makes you happy, and you can readily afford it, it's not necessarily sinful to indulge yourself.

That having been said, Gucci is one of those companies which is very big into branding its items. You know, the interlinked "G" thing. They do it on neckties, key holders, probably on their sneakers, etc. I tend not to care for such branding, for various reasons, so I probably wouldn't pay any price premium for the Gucci sneakers, myself. But that's just me.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm just weighing it up. I've seen some used gucci shoes/sneakers at http://www.used.forsale/gucci-mens-sneakers that are more reasonably priced and are in great condition. Hardly used apparently and the pictures seem to back this up. I guess all those years of not bothering about fashion or style now mean that I'm making up for it and being a bit indulgent. I suppose you never know how long you'll have the chance to be able to splash the cash so if I like them, I should probably go for them. I'll ponder a little more before I decide.

 


Edited by suavie - 4/27/16 at 11:32pm
post #5 of 10

You're choosing the wrong shoes if you want to look smart. In my humble opinion sneakers are for the gym, for hitting the pavement in the mornings or whatever your weekend sport of choice is (that's what they were designed for). Not to mention that Gucci is particularly tacky with their designs, emblazoning everything with that tasteless GG canvas that cries out "look at me I buy Gucci."

 

On the other hand I own a Gucci wallet made from plain brown calfskin and it looks the same as the day I bought it years ago, so I can attest to the quality. You will get good craftsmanship. You might get a good enough fit too, and you can also get made to measure shoes from Gucci for a slight markup (10% maybe, can't remember), which I would strongly recommend if you're going to spend $500+ on shoes. 

 

If you're torn between brands then I think you should explore bespoke. It's a whole new world, and not as expensive as you'd think. If you like the look of shoes from a certain designer but dislike something about them, take a picture and go find a bespoke cordwainer who can change every aspect to something that's uniquely yours and is guaranteed to fit.

 

Food for thought.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbeast View Post
 

You're choosing the wrong shoes if you want to look smart. In my humble opinion sneakers are for the gym, for hitting the pavement in the mornings or whatever your weekend sport of choice is (that's what they were designed for). Not to mention that Gucci is particularly tacky with their designs, emblazoning everything with that tasteless GG canvas that cries out "look at me I buy Gucci."

 

On the other hand I own a Gucci wallet made from plain brown calfskin and it looks the same as the day I bought it years ago, so I can attest to the quality. You will get good craftsmanship. You might get a good enough fit too, and you can also get made to measure shoes from Gucci for a slight markup (10% maybe, can't remember), which I would strongly recommend if you're going to spend $500+ on shoes. 

 

If you're torn between brands then I think you should explore bespoke. It's a whole new world, and not as expensive as you'd think. If you like the look of shoes from a certain designer but dislike something about them, take a picture and go find a bespoke cordwainer who can change every aspect to something that's uniquely yours and is guaranteed to fit.

 

Food for thought.

Fair enough, I can see why you've got that opinion. I've been asking around in a few places and am getting a similar kind of opinion. Starting to get put off the idea myself. Thought I liked the design I was looking at but the more I look at the pictures, the less I like them. I had been saying sneakers but the one's I was looking at are kind of sneakers/shoes so they aren't really something you'd wear at the gym but for going out casual. Anyway, i'll see what else I can find on the market before I depart with any money. Thanks again for the response.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suavie View Post

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm just weighing it up. I've seen some used gucci shoes/sneakers at http://www.for-sale.com/gucci-mens-sneakers that are more reasonably priced and are in great condition. Hardly used apparently and the pictures seem to back this up. I guess all those years of not bothering about fashion or style now mean that I'm making up for it and being a bit indulgent. I suppose you never know how long you'll have the chance to be able to splash the cash so if I like them, I should probably go for them. I'll ponder a little more before I decide.



Be careful - this might be a fetish thing (like used underwear), no? confused.gif
post #8 of 10

I once had a pair in this style. They were very comfortable with leather lining and insole. Certainly a notch above any basic sneakers such as Converse, etc. Are they worth the retail, however? I would say no. At a clearance price they are not a bad purchase. I have seen other sneakers from brands like Rag & Bone, Vince, etc that are just as nice quality-wise, and they are significantly less. They are not made in Italy, but I'm not sure if Gucci sneakers are entirely Italian-made either. Could be one of those situations where they only finish them in Italy, so the shoe can carry the "Made in Italy" stamp. 

 

 

post #9 of 10
If you like them, they fit, get them. Enjoy the label.
post #10 of 10
Are you near a Gucci outlet store!! Don't pay full price for fashion sneakers. You can always find them on sale some place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Gucci Sneakers - Does the quality match the high price tag?