or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stephane Jimenez Bespoke Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stephane Jimenez Bespoke Shoes - Page 5

post #61 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


Beyond that, wearing shoes doesn't give you any insights to how shoes are made much less what distinguishes quality from the ordinary. Why spend +/-$2k when $500.00 is adequate in most if not all cases? esp. in the absence of objective knowledge about the relative merits of specific construction techniques, leathers, etc..

--

This is wrong. I can assure that, if done correctly, it is easy to tell what distinguishes those two categories of shoes simply by wearing them for a day.
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


Well, yes and no. It just rankles if only because, in most cases, it's beside the point (see below)
I didn't...as is probably apparent from my comments.

Trouble is that people...for whatever reasons--among them a defensiveness that is all too often couched in uncertainty--focus too much on how something is said, rather than on what is said. It has nothing to do with culture...at least not from my perspective...but is, I suspect, often a tactic used to change the subject when all else fails. IMO, to focus on how something is said is just another aspect of superficiality.

--

 

If you think I am getting affected by what you say, the answer is no because I simply don't pay too much attention to things people might say on an internet forum. I spend most of my time here posting photos of shoes because I both enjoy shoes and taking pictures.

 

I get where you are coming from but I think you imply many things about my statement which is only something you perceive and not anything I meant or even said. I prefer to take words at face value. Your perspective is yours and we can certainly disagree and we can walk away respecting each other views. However, there is clearly a cultural difference in the way people interpret things. You might not accept that as a fact but please do not impose your views about superficiality and changing subjects on my statement.

 

I would like to point out AGAIN that I was not the one who brought up the issue with the shoe expert quote. If more than 1 person had an issue with that phrase, is it a problem with me or how it was put across? 

 

By the way, I would like to ask for your opinion on the toe spring of the shoes presented. It looks to me... uncomfortable.

post #63 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Well, yes and no. It just rankles if only because, in most cases, it's beside the point (see below)
I didn't...as is probably apparent from my comments.

Trouble is that people...for whatever reasons--among them a defensiveness that is all too often couched in uncertainty--focus too much on how something is said, rather than on what is said. It has nothing to do with culture...at least not from my perspective...but is, I suspect, often a tactic used to change the subject when all else fails. IMO, to focus on how something is said is just another aspect of superficiality.

--

Thank you and I agree! It is what is said and what it means, not the way it is said. Many of us are familiar with trolls on SF and need to defend ourselves so sometimes we can make comments on the defensive to help prevent those expected comments, especially when trying to make something new
post #64 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Interesting.  I think its very narrow niche to cross Podiatrist w/ Orthopedics, or Optometrist w/ Ophthalmologist, or DDS w/ MD, as those are quite different degrees!

Pass, my hands are full.

I agree but there are some who do it and work very hard to be able to have the practice and knowledge base to do both effectively. I've trained under an Orthopedic surgeon who then went back to study podiatry so he could adequately cover both disciplines.

There are also dentists who train as An MD and become Oral surgeons

But this is quite out of scope of this thread about shoes. Lol

If anyone really has a problem about me or a question on my credentials, they can PM me and not waste the time of the readers on SF who probably don't want to waste time reading a verbal attack on someone. This is not directed at anyone in particular bit just a statement that I've felt like saying on a few threads to stand up for people being verbally attacked.
post #65 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post

If you think I am getting affected by what you say, the answer is no because I simply don't pay too much attention to things people might say on an internet forum. I spend most of my time here posting photos of shoes because I both enjoy shoes and taking pictures.

I get where you are coming from but I think you imply many things about my statement which is only something you perceive and not anything I meant or even said. I prefer to take words at face value. Your perspective is yours and we can certainly disagree and we can walk away respecting each other views. However, there is clearly a cultural difference in the way people interpret things. You might not accept that as a fact but please do not impose your views about superficiality and changing subjects on my statement.

I would like to point out AGAIN that I was not the one who brought up the issue with the shoe expert quote. If more than 1 person had an issue with that phrase, is it a problem with me or how it was put across? 

By the way, I would like to ask for your opinion on the toe spring of the shoes presented. It looks to me... uncomfortable.

Just so you know this was all directed at one sentence that was starting out the thread which was a joke because I've been called that many times and expected the initial readers to be ones who know me as an active member already.

This is the Internet and we can joke around on here as well. It is just a way to help see and learn about new things in which we all have common interests.
post #66 of 109
So I would like to know.
Are you an MD?
post #67 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Interesting. I thought DPM and orthopedic surgery MD are different fields.

I couldn't find any trace of client reviews on the French forums either. Delos, in the other hand, got quite a few client reviews across different forums before he became "famous" online.

Good shoemakers and good businessmen are two separate ideas.

I am going to answer that even though i obviously risk getting into some kind of internet p...s size contest, but i do have to chime in bc there is some misinformation on this post.

Orthopedic Surgery MD and and doctor of podiatric surgery (DPM) are different fields with different levels of training (medical school vs podiatry school, different post graduate residencys and fellowship),different licensing boards, and different qualifications. I am sure there is some overlap specifically reffering to foot stuff.
Also depending on the state, the extent of what surgeries can be done by a podiatrist are limited. For example in MA they cannot operate above the ankle (mortise), in other states they may.
Orthopedic surgeons (MD) do not have limitations by the state on what body parts they operate on (hospital may not credential you to do spine surgery if you dont have a fellowship but thats a whole diff discussion and hospital specific).

Anyways mw is a podiatrist (DPM) not an orthopedic surgeon (MD). I dont think he ever claimed to be an MD, but he does use the term orthopedic a lot which may lead people to believe he is an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon (MD).

I cannot speak to his level of footwear knowledge as I dont know.
Edited by coldinboston - 4/19/16 at 10:20am
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

This is wrong. I can assure that, if done correctly, it is easy to tell what distinguishes those two categories of shoes simply by wearing them for a day.

If they are fundamentally made the same...I don't think so. If you're comparing a $2k RTW toa $500RTW, not much changes in the way of techniques or materials. If you're comparing a $2k HW to RTW art any price, well, that's another story.
post #69 of 109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMarch View Post

So I would like to know.
Are you an MD?

No I've said I'm a DPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinboston View Post

I am going to answer that even though i obviously risk getting into some kind of internet p...s size contest, but i do have to chime in bc there is some misinformation on this post.

Orthopedic Surgery MD and and doctor of podiatric surgery (DPM) are different fields with different levels of training (medical school vs podiatry school, different post graduate residencys and fellowship),different licensing boards, and different qualifications. I am sure there is some overlap specifically reffering to foot stuff.
Also depending on the state, the extent of what surgeries can be done by a podiatrist are limited. For example in MA they cannot operate above the ankle (mortise), in other states they may.
Orthopedic surgeons (MD) do not have limitations by the state on what body parts they operate on (hospital may not credential you to do spine surgery if you dont have a fellowship but thats a whole diff discussion and hospital specific).

Anyways mw is a podiatrist (DPM) not an orthopedic surgeon (MD). I dont think he ever claimed to be an MD, but he does use the term orthopedic a lot which may lead people to believe he is an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon (MD).

I cannot speak to his level of footwear knowledge as I dont know.

Thank you very much for saving me the time in explaining just that. Are you a doctor of some sort as well? I am a DPM but was trained with MDs at Temple University which is an MD school but also offers a DPM by the same professors and doctors. I do all that a normal Podiatrist does but I also am able to do the more formal foot and ankle orthopedic surgeries due to my extra training and states of practice: Pa and NJ. It is a sub speciality of reconstructive rear foot and ankle surgery just like a foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon is a sub specialty of an ortho surgeon.

I do ankle fusions and trauma to repair broken tibia and fibula as well, just as a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon does. It all depends on what the doc chooses to do but most Pods don't do any of this. I do not do any part of the body above the leg/knee.

It doesn't make one better than another but a choice for lifestyle and amount of work. I have just chosen to do it all because of my passion for it. Hope that helps clarify further even though the difference doesn't really make a difference in my work with shoes. You can work with shoes as an MD or DPM, but I know of more who are DPMs to be completely honest. I have friends who are both.
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwy View Post

If you think I am getting affected by what you say, the answer is no because I simply don't pay too much attention to things people might say on an internet forum. I spend most of my time here posting photos of shoes because I both enjoy shoes and taking pictures.

I get where you are coming from but I think you imply many things about my statement which is only something you perceive and not anything I meant or even said. I prefer to take words at face value. Your perspective is yours and we can certainly disagree and we can walk away respecting each other views. However, there is clearly a cultural difference in the way people interpret things. You might not accept that as a fact but please do not impose your views about superficiality and changing subjects on my statement.

I would like to point out AGAIN that I was not the one who brought up the issue with the shoe expert quote. If more than 1 person had an issue with that phrase, is it a problem with me or how it was put across? 

By the way, I would like to ask for your opinion on the toe spring of the shoes presented. It looks to me... uncomfortable.

Well, I'll say it up front--I am an expert--on shoemaking and shoemaking techniques and shoemaking materials and even on feet and how shoes should fit. Notice I said "an expert." I didn't say my words were written in stone. I'm not the only expert on these things that posts to this forum (although there are far fewer than people want to believe) I have never even suggested that I am a master shoemaker.

So what makes me an expert? Objective experience. Hands-on experience. First hand experience (as opposed to hearsay or third party, through the grapevine experience, or conjectural, wished-for experience.

Dealing with many different feet and all the possible ramifications and variations of feet and leather and engineering that 45 years of experience affords.

A person may have a lifetime of experience with his own feet. And may even develop some marked preferences. But that doesn't make him an expert in anything but his own druthers.

A person can prefer a particular fit...and who can argue with his preferences? But that doesn't make him an expert on fit. It doesn't even mean that he's correctly fit or even particularly well fit.

As far as imposing a viewpoint...there are no shoe police. Take the words of an expert in shoemaking techniques and fit for what they are worth--learn from them or don't. You didn't pay anything...you're out nothing. No one can impose anything on you that you don't want to have imposed.

That said, when a person who has no first hand experience making shoes, tries to tell someone who has 45 years of it what is what, that seems to me a deliberate attempt to impose an opinion--an uninformed, possibly arrogant and belligerent opinion. It's presumptuous, it's inauthentic and it's posing.

If only because the person expressing it has not earned it.

Again, this is not aimed at you specifically, or anyone else...it is simply the residue of all the trolls and poseurs think their passing pipe dreams are just as valid as decades of blood, sweat and tears.

edited for punctuation and clarity
Edited by DWFII - 4/19/16 at 11:43am
post #71 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw313 View Post

No I've said I'm a DPM.
Thank you very much for saving me the time in explaining just that. Are you a doctor of some sort as well? I am a DPM but was trained with MDs at Temple University which is an MD school but also offers a DPM by the same professors and doctors. I do all that a normal Podiatrist does but I also am able to do the more formal foot and ankle orthopedic surgeries due to my extra training and states of practice: Pa and NJ. It is a sub speciality of reconstructive rear foot and ankle surgery just like a foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon is a sub specialty of an ortho surgeon.

I do ankle fusions and trauma to repair broken tibia and fibula as well, just as a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon does. It all depends on what the doc chooses to do but most Pods don't do any of this. I do not do any part of the body above the leg/knee.

It doesn't make one better than another but a choice for lifestyle and amount of work. I have just chosen to do it all because of my passion for it. Hope that helps clarify further even though the difference doesn't really make a difference in my work with shoes. You can work with shoes as an MD or DPM, but I know of more who are DPMs to be completely honest. I have friends who are both.

I dont want to have a big public profile here so i am not really going to get into details but i do have a working knowledge of orthopedics.

By tibia ankle i assume you mean lateral/medial malleolar (ankle fxs) or are you allowed to do tibial nails, tibial plateaus etc... without an MD being the primary surgeon. I only ask bc some states are more liberal than others in their restrictions, MA being very restrictive (i.e dpms cant even do ankle scopes).

Just tell me you dont do Subtalar arthroereisis? So i can go back to work in piece.

Anyways do what makes you happy, YOLO as they say
post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

If they are fundamentally made the same...I don't think so. If you're comparing a $2k RTW toa $500RTW, not much changes in the way of techniques or materials. If you're comparing a $2k HW to RTW art any price, well, that's another story.

I'm talking about a bespoke shoe. You asked why anyone would spend multi $k shoes without knowing anything about them...anything about how they are put together or how that relates to objective quality...or even about feet in general, much less their own feet. My answer is that they don't look and feel the same. If your experience is that they do then I would suggest that you are buying the wrong multi thousand dollar pair of shoes.
post #73 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

I'm talking about a bespoke shoe. You asked why anyone would spend multi $k shoes without knowing anything about them...anything about how they are put together or how that relates to objective quality...or even about feet in general, much less their own feet. My answer is that they don't look and feel the same. If your experience is that they do then I would suggest that you are buying the wrong multi thousand dollar pair of shoes.

Well, of course.

But you missed the point. You can spend multi $k for a RTW shoe...but you probably would play hell finding a HW shoe at $500.00. My comparison was always RTW to RTW.

And my point is that most people buy stuff here for all the wrong reasons. They don't know...they don't want to know...what makes quality or one shoe more expensive or objectively worth more than another.

I don't buy shoes.
post #74 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Well, I'll say it up front--I am an expert--on shoemaking and shoemaking techniques and shoemaking materials and even on feet and how shoes should fit. Notice I said "an expert." I didn't say my words were written in stone. I'm not the only expert on these things that posts to this forum (although there are far fewer than people want to believe) I have never even suggested that I am a master shoemaker.

On the other hand, you don't have a C.Ped. or OPM, thus your expertise as a fitter or judging how shoes should be constructed to fit, however great it is, might not be right Or worthwhile.
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Well, of course.

But you missed the point. You can spend multi $k for a RTW shoe...but you probably would play hell finding a HW shoe at $500.00. My comparison was always RTW to RTW.

And my point is that most people buy stuff here for all the wrong reasons. They don't know...they don't want to know...what makes quality or one shoe more expensive or objectively worth more than another.

I don't buy shoes.

My AE wears different than my JL. So there's definitely a difference in terms of wear or construction for RTW shoes.

Same for my handwelts vs bespokes. Both HW, both wear differently. Different makers make shoes and fit shoes differently.

Since you don't buy shoes, your comment about how to buy shoes makes you, in your own logic and words, inauthentic, posing, and belligerent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stephane Jimenez Bespoke Shoes