or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Bags/Briefcases with suede lining
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bags/Briefcases with suede lining

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi folks,

 

I've recently bought an handbag for my lady with a leather (suede) lining inside. I've felt it very soft and damn elegant.

 

I've noticed my two briefcases and my laptop all have different lining: usually cotton or silk... and I cannot find find any briefcase or laptop bag with this type of lining... I've also searched on the internet but nothing!

 

Do you know any brand to suggest (if any...)?

 

And in general what do you prefer and why? fabric lining or suede?

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cics View Post

Hi folks,

I've recently bought an handbag for my lady with a leather (suede) lining inside. I've felt it very soft and damn elegant.

I've noticed my two briefcases and my laptop all have different lining: usually cotton or silk... and I cannot find find any briefcase or laptop bag with this type of lining... I've also searched on the internet but nothing!

Do you know any brand to suggest (if any...)?

And in general what do you prefer and why? fabric lining or suede?

Serapian. Bally. St Dupont. Moynat. Maybe Pratesi, not sure. Or you can just bespoke order.
post #3 of 13
Bill Amberg
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thank you guys. Wow, I've checked Serapian briefcase, it's so classy... but a bit out of my budget :(

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cics View Post
 

Thank you guys. Wow, I've checked Serapian briefcase, it's so classy... but a bit out of my budget :(

What is your budget?  It's much easier to give suggestions with a price range in mind, or at least a celing price.  BTW, I may move this to "menswear advice" shortly.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning View Post

Bill Amberg


I co-sign this wholeheartedly. Lots of bags lined with different colored suedes, they make custom if you want to go that route, and the bags are beautiful overall. I have the Rocket Bag with a purple suede lining which is fantastic.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post


Serapian. Bally. St Dupont. Moynat. Maybe Pratesi, not sure. Or you can just bespoke order.

 

Unfortunately not too high. I would say 5-600 dollars. I've found some Serapian breifcases on Lyst at 600$. Do you know that website? Can I trust it?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNext View Post
 


I co-sign this wholeheartedly. Lots of bags lined with different colored suedes, they make custom if you want to go that route, and the bags are beautiful overall. I have the Rocket Bag with a purple suede lining which is fantastic.

 

I've also checked Bill Ambergs's briefacses, I struggled to find a website selling them... I didn't like those few I've found though.

 

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

post #8 of 13

Hi!

I usually prefer fabric lining, it is more resistant and durable...try and have a look here http://www.florenceleathermarket.com/bags/travel-bags 

Hope it helps :)

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommaso View Post
 

Hi!

I usually prefer fabric lining, it is more resistant and durable...try and have a look here http://www.florenceleathermarket.com/bags/travel-bags 

Hope it helps :)

 

Thanks Tommaso. My gf has a handbag with suede lining, although is not used as extensively as a briefcase, seems really durable to me. Why do you think it's not?

post #10 of 13

I would second getting a fabric lining instead of suede. As anyone with suede shoes would know, suede could be persnickety in terms of maintenance. I guess it depends on what you plan to carry in your bag, but if it gets wet, there's a chance that the leather could be irreversibly damaged. If this bag were to be a second bag for more formal/business occasions, I figure that it would be fine. However, for day-to-day usage, it might not be ideal. Personally, if I had this bag, I would take extra care to make sure that the suede lining isn't damaged so it would always be on the back of my mind. 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellafonte27 View Post
 

I would second getting a fabric lining instead of suede. As anyone with suede shoes would know, suede could be persnickety in terms of maintenance. I guess it depends on what you plan to carry in your bag, but if it gets wet, there's a chance that the leather could be irreversibly damaged. If this bag were to be a second bag for more formal/business occasions, I figure that it would be fine. However, for day-to-day usage, it might not be ideal. Personally, if I had this bag, I would take extra care to make sure that the suede lining isn't damaged so it would always be on the back of my mind. 

 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bellafonte. I was thinking of asking an artisan to create some bags for me. That could be cheaper than buying them from Serapian!

And in terms of durability and "care" I was thinking of maybe 2 variations?

The first one is more formal/business made with veg tanned leather and suede lining, the second one is to be used everyday with chrome tanned leather, that is more water repellent, and fabric lining. Could it be a good combo?

 

Or, as an alternative, I could use alcantara with chrome or veg tanned leather as the maintenance would be easier.


Edited by cics - 4/5/16 at 5:07pm
post #12 of 13

Yeah I think that could work. You could also choose to get a briefcase made out of bridle leather. It's very resilient and is low maintenance. You could check out Saddleback leather for some examples. They're a little more rugged than some of the options that you're looking at, but they would give you more peace of mind for regular everyday use. 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellafonte27 View Post
 

Yeah I think that could work. You could also choose to get a briefcase made out of bridle leather. It's very resilient and is low maintenance. You could check out Saddleback leather for some examples. They're a little more rugged than some of the options that you're looking at, but they would give you more peace of mind for regular everyday use. 

 

I'll check it out. Thanks Bellafonte!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Menswear Advice
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Menswear Advice › Bags/Briefcases with suede lining