or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 1314
It's not "my" social experiment, you mouthbreather. I'm not some kind of left-leaning mastermind* who shapes world religions; I'm talking about large scale aims that we all play a tiny part in advancing. Broadly speaking, these aims are:

1) continue to argue that one major world religion--one that encompasses about a quarter of the human population--is bad. And inexorably bad.
2) spur policies, action, and conversations that promote favorable changes, both within Muslim nations and also in countries with Muslim populations.

This might shock your delicate sensibilities, but 1) has actually failed the world over for centuries.

---

* - I mean, I wish I were, but nobody listens.
post #62 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

We are now having to choose between privacy and security.

I will always choose privacy in this false choice. We keep getting sold on more security and it doesn't do anything. The TSA misses 95% of threats. We have the feds monitoring our phone calls, our internet access, and where we are driving. For what? A false sense of security.

We never get security for giving up freedom or privacy. This has been going on for centuries.
post #63 of 1314
So the president suspended HIPPA as part of a state of emergency related to this? Am I the only one troubled by this?
post #64 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

So the president suspended HIPPA as part of a state of emergency related to this? Am I the only one troubled by this?

Source?
post #65 of 1314
I'm watching the presscon now. He was interviewed twice - 2013 and 2014 - by the FBI for Islamic terrorist ties/stupid shit he said. No evidence found, case closed. And then he bought the rifle and handgun "a few days ago" according to the ATF
post #66 of 1314
When radical muslims target non-muslims, it's generic terrorism, but when they target homosexuals, it's "hate."

Give me a break.
post #67 of 1314
did you skip that day in third or fourth grade when the teacher venn diagrams? or does your personal history of dumbassery stretch back that far into your youth?
post #68 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I don't hate "all Muslims." Accusing me of this is an outright lie. It's getting old. I recognize that it's all but impossible to distinguish good from bad or vet the ones coming into this country.

I'm very sorry to have challenged your understanding of yourself as a kind Christian with only love and patriotism in his heart. I now see the folly of my ways and the unassailability of your logic. To wit:

I don't hate all Japs. I just know some of them are bad and it's impossible to tell which ones because by god they all look alike. So we should lovingly and without hate send them all to camps.


Very crucial distinction. I'm sure all the Japs Muslims recognize the non-hatred in your heart.
post #69 of 1314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

2) spur policies, action, and conversations that promote favorable changes, both within Muslim nations and also in countries with Muslim populations.

I agree with this and think this is a good spot to repost this:

post #70 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post


Source?

 

The only thing I could find.  Not the best sources obviously: my wife was the one who mentioned it when she was listening to the news.
http://gawker.com/reports-orlando-blood-center-lifts-ban-on-blood-donati-1781837902

https://twitter.com/WESH/status/742031955055792128

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/06/12/Police-Orlando-nightclub-shooter-pledged-allegiance-to-Islamic-State/5071465734316/

post #71 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

It's not "my" social experiment, you mouthbreather.

It must be frustrating to watch what you thought you knew slowly dissipate, but let's keep the cliches to a minimum. Nevertheless I'm always amused by these pseudo intellectual arguments from people who self elect themselves to positions of superiority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheobscure View Post

It's not "my" social experiment, you mouthbreather. I'm not some kind of left-leaning mastermind* who shapes world religions; I'm talking about large scale aims that we all play a tiny part in advancing. Broadly speaking, these aims are:

1) continue to argue that one major world religion--one that encompasses about a quarter of the human population--is bad. And inexorably bad.
2) spur policies, action, and conversations that promote favorable changes, both within Muslim nations and also in countries with Muslim populations.

This might shock your delicate sensibilities, but 1) has actually failed the world over for centuries.

---

* - I mean, I wish I were, but nobody listens.

I'm all for #2 as long as we are taking the necessary steps to protect ourselves while this change occurs, a change that might never actually take place despite our best efforts.

What, specifically, are your ideas for "policy, action and conversations"?
post #72 of 1314
So my wife met the shooter on two separate occasions frown.gif She hadn't seen his photo (or heard his name) until we got home from running errands. We live in south Florida. An acquaintance of hers knew this guy at some point - this would have been sometime around 2006, she was at the same lounge when this guy showed up with the acquaintance. From what she heard, this guy was crazy back then, too.
post #73 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

It must be frustrating to watch what you thought you knew slowly dissipate, but let's keep the cliches to a minimum. Nevertheless I'm always amused by these pseudo intellectual arguments from people
who self elect themselves to positions of superiority.

You have it the other way around. I study an older time period in which the Christian v. Muslim thing was a central part of cultural identity. It's actually frustrating for me to see a deeply familiar pattern repeat itself, mutatis mutandis, over and over again.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
PS: I didn't "self-elect" myself to any position. If you're talking about my academic/intellectual credentials, I have gone through and continue to go through various processes of applying to competitive things, getting rejected/getting in, acquiring various forms of expertise, being evaluated etc. I'm guessing (and this is only a guess) that you don't give a shit about any of these processes because in you're mind they're just librul groupthink or whatever. But it's still a far cry from me declaring myself an expert on anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited 
I'm all for #2 as long as we are taking the necessary steps to protect ourselves while this change occurs, a change that might never actually take place despite our best efforts.
What, specifically, are your ideas for "policy, action and conversations"?

The question is above my paygrade--especially when it comes to foreign relations. But here's a low-level answer, one that doesn't just derive from my experiences but that I might actually be able to participate in. Continue to promote Muslim immigrants, Muslim-American citizens, etc., do more stuff like going to college, going to a keggers, experimenting with sex and drugs, whatever. Yes, this is low-level social integration and the results won't fit tidily into any narrative. Some will secularize, some will stay religious but also renegotiate their faiths to coexist within a pluralist society (if not a secular one). Maybe these answers don't give you the patriotism boner of railing against (but not hating!) Muslims. shrug I think it's the better way of preventing radicalization and disenfranchisement than alienating religious populations around the world and also at home.
Edited by erictheobscure - 6/12/16 at 4:17pm
post #74 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

So my wife met the shooter on two separate occasions frown.gif She hadn't seen his photo (or heard his name) until we got home from running errands. We live in south Florida. An acquaintance of hers knew this guy at some point - this would have been sometime around 2006, she was at the same lounge when this guy showed up with the acquaintance. From what she heard, this guy was crazy back then, too.

Sheezus.
post #75 of 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

When radical muslims target non-muslims, it's generic terrorism, but when they target homosexuals, it's "hate."

Give me a break.

FWIW, Omar is also a registered Democrat,

http://voters.findthedata.com/l/28019600/Omar-Mir-Seddique-Mateen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread