Originally Posted by suited
How will they highlight the targeting of gays without specifically incriminating the culture of Islam? Contradictions within the hierarchy of political correctness are typically not at odds with one another in such an obvious way.
I know this won't register at all, but here's the simplest explanation I can offer of a anti-homophobia stance that doesn't devolve into the anti-Muslim tirade you wish everyone would participate in:
1. Be against discrimination (at the lowest level) and (at the most extreme) violence against gay people
2. Be against political antagonism against Islam--out of commitment not only to freedom of religion, out of a hope to move beyond the "clash of civilizations" worldview, and (in this country) out of opposition to antagonisms against minorities (especially when religious identity lines up very roughly with racial ones)
3. Be completely aware that Islam--broadly speaking--doesn't have a favorable view of homosexuality (no shit, right-wing Sherlock!)
4. But also know that religions, religious cultures, and religious societies are malleable and change. Hope that Muslim groups (whether in Islamic countries or in diverse countries like this one) grow increasingly tolerant.
5. In light of 2) and 4), don't devolve into some foaming tirade against Muslims
Again, I know you really don't give a shit and you won't be happy until everyone joins your "I hate Muslims" campaign. But there's the explanation.