or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Belt recommendations - where do I get a minimalist belt?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Belt recommendations - where do I get a minimalist belt?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Has anybody got any good recommendations for a simple, clean leather belt for $100 or less? Preferably on the thinner side.
I've been scoping out Yoox for a few months and every time I find one it doesn't show stock (just says sold out). M
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Has anybody got any good recommendations for a simple, clean leather belt for $100 or less? Preferably on the thinner side.
I've been scoping out Yoox for a few months and every time I find one it doesn't show stock (just says sold out). M

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/accessories

Do you want dressier or casual? Corter / Tanner / billykirk have nice workwear ones

Barneyswarehouse might has some for cheap if it's additional % off
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Has anybody got any good recommendations for a simple, clean leather belt for $100 or less? Preferably on the thinner side.
I've been scoping out Yoox for a few months and every time I find one it doesn't show stock (just says sold out). M


BlueOwl has a couple different brands that fit this bill (for casual).

post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


BlueOwl has a couple different brands that fit this bill (for casual).

Thanks. I always forget about denim shops and just assume they'll only have thick natural leather belts with reclaimed steel buckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/accessories

Do you want dressier or casual? Corter / Tanner / billykirk have nice workwear ones

Barneyswarehouse might has some for cheap if it's additional % off

Well it would be for various trousers, not denim, maybe chinos. I just want something inconspicuous enough to not draw attention to it. Ideally black leather with a black buckle with a hidden closure (is that what an engineer belt is? I'm a belt noob, paging @LA Guy)
Lemaire does ones that would be perfect but the cheapest I ever see them is about $250. The "julius" belt Geller did last season also would have been perfect but I only ever saw smaller sizes.
Edited by OccultaVexillum - 3/27/16 at 10:26am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Thanks. I always forget about denim shops and just assume they'll only have thick natural leather belts with reclaimed steel buckles.
Well it would be for various trousers, not denim, maybe trousers. I just want something inconspicuous enough to not draw attention to it. Ideally black leather with a black buckle with a hidden closure (is that what an engineer belt is? I'm a belt noob, paging @LA Guy)
Lemaire does ones that would be perfect but the cheapest I ever see them is about $250. The "julius" belt Geller did last season also would have been perfect but I only ever saw smaller sizes.

You mean a mechanics belt?

http://www.billykirk.com/products/no-117-mechanics-belt-black

IMO, the lack of a buckle on those ends up making them look conspicuous. If you want something simple and plain, you could just get a basic dress belt.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post


Thanks. I always forget about denim shops and just assume they'll only have thick natural leather belts with reclaimed steel buckles.
Well it would be for various trousers, not denim, maybe chinos. I just want something inconspicuous enough to not draw attention to it. Ideally black leather with a black buckle with a hidden closure (is that what an engineer belt is? I'm a belt noob, paging @LA Guy)
Lemaire does ones that would be perfect but the cheapest I ever see them is about $250. The "julius" belt Geller did last season also would have been perfect but I only ever saw smaller sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

You mean a mechanics belt?

http://www.billykirk.com/products/no-117-mechanics-belt-black

IMO, the lack of a buckle on those ends up making them look conspicuous. If you want something simple and plain, you could just get a basic dress belt.

I have mechanics belts (also sometimes called an engineer's belt) by both Lemaire and by Robert Geller, and yes, they look more conspicious because of the lack of buckle.  Essentially, anything that is not familiar to the eye will catch it, and we are conditioned to expect to see buckles on blts.

 

I personally don't ever think of "inconspicuous" as being something that I want in a belt, but if you want to go that way, just get this, from our friends at Tanner Goods ('sup @kixslf): 

http://www.tannergoods.com/collections/belts/products/skinny-standard-belt-black-black-1

 

post #7 of 18

@OccultaVexillum  I have one of the brown billykirk belts mentioned for casual wear and it works out well.  I wouldn't recommend it for super minimalist or impeccably-tailored outfits since it's a pull-up leather, but for everything else it's pretty nice.

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks everybody. I actually like that billykirk mechanics belt.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Thanks everybody. I actually like that billykirk mechanics belt.

Then get it.  I like it too, and may actually have it (or maybe my wife does, I dunno).

post #10 of 18
I just got a black CXL belt on Etsy from a shop called ShumDesigns for ~$40. 1.25" so it's not super skinny or wide, just right IMO. It's solid and the guy was super accommodating. Construction and craftsmanship isn't at the level of say Hollows or Faler (no burnishing) but it definitely punches well above the pricetag (painted edges, sanded back, Horween leather obv)



Edited by boned - 3/29/16 at 10:48pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowcharts View Post
 

@OccultaVexillum  I have one of the brown billykirk belts mentioned for casual wear and it works out well.  I wouldn't recommend it for super minimalist or impeccably-tailored outfits since it's a pull-up leather, but for everything else it's pretty nice.

The black is not, iirc, pull up leather, but it is aniline dyed, and has a natural edge, iirc (at least, older iterations did).  It's pretty easy to put some edge dressing on yourself though.

post #12 of 18

Is black pull up leather possible/if it is, does it ever get made?  I know black cxl doesn't behave in the same way as the other colors, but thinking about it now I've never come across any other black leather that does either.

post #13 of 18

Not quite as minimal as the mechanics belt, but still pretty clean:

http://suspensionpoint.ca/kazuyuki-kumagai-attachment-slide-buckle-belt

post #14 of 18

I have used this for a few years http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/us-en/shop/men-s-black-naked-lady-print-lined-leather-belt.html?gclid=CKzkrKvv6csCFQaUfgodyCQNvA

 

The white stitching is very subtle in real life and adds some visual interest. They are on sale at the end of seasons pretty often.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowcharts View Post
 

Is black pull up leather possible/if it is, does it ever get made?  I know black cxl doesn't behave in the same way as the other colors, but thinking about it now I've never come across any other black leather that does either.

Yes, it's possible.  I don't know exactly how it was made, but I saw some black "tea" stained leather at Johnson's leather that was made by Horween for some project for a Japanese company (I saw this again on Rakuten a while ago, but can't find the brand right now).  It is black, but flexing definitely shows it to b a pull up leather.  Pretty excellent.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Belt recommendations - where do I get a minimalist belt?