or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties & High Waist Trousers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ties & High Waist Trousers

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

With a ton of disasters out there, let's set the record straight.

What is the ideal (and borderline acceptable) tie length when wearing high waist pleated trousers?

Do some of you wear them with narrower ties?

Exhibit A. Width 8cm, Length: Middle of waist band

post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 

Exhibit B: Width: 8.5-9cm Length: Bottom waist band

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Exhibit C. Width 8cm Length: 2" below bottom waist band


Edited by Jay Suave - 3/25/16 at 9:42am
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Exhibit D: Width 6.5-7cm Length: 2" below bottom waist band

post #5 of 16
Picture #1 looks just right to me.

But really, necktie hang length doesn't require absolute and intense precision. (And, indeed, it could well be argued that for various reasons such obsessive precision in how one dresses is a thing to be avoided.) If one's waist band is, say, an inch wide, then whether the tie hangs to the top of the waist band, or the middle of the waist band, is a difference having little real world significance.

Which doesn't mean that a few inches above the waistband, or a few inches below, is all the same. No. Just that precision to a fraction of an inch is quite unnecessary.

As for tie width, it depends. On one's build. On the nature of the necktie. (A knit tie, for instance, can often be narrower than other types of neckties.) On the lapel width of the jacket. On the age of the wearer. Even on things like the season, or the occasion in question. I wouldn't say that I'd choose a wider (or narrower) tie when wearing high waist pleated trousers than when wearing some other sort of pants, but if that's some other fellow's personal preference, fine.

Also, when wearing a tie, I try to wear a jacket (or at the very least, a sweater). And when wearing a jacket, the jacket is usually buttoned. So the precise length - and to some extent, width - of my tie isn't readily apparent.

Okay, if I'm seated, my jacket may be unbuttoned. But in that case, most of the time I'm sitting behind a desk or a table, thus the view of my lower tie is still blocked.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 

If not for the overly long short end, can we agree that this is on the long side for the front blade?

 

nicola_16 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post
Which doesn't mean that a few inches above the waistband, or a few inches below, is all the same. No. Just that precision to a fraction of an inch is quite unnecessary.

 

I'm transitioning to natural waist pants with pleats and I'm trying to opt for the best tie length to go with it.

 

As the pant's waist height increases, it reduce the torso length / shirt's real estate, placing a greater focus on tie's width, especially when the jacket is removed.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Suave View Post

Quote:I'm transitioning to natural waist pants with pleats and I'm trying to opt for the best tie length to go with it.
Your tie should fall to your belt line (whether you're wearing a belt or not).
Quote:
As the pant's waist height increases, it reduce the torso length / shirt's real estate, placing a greater focus on tie's width, especially when the jacket is removed.
Perhaps so, but as a practical matter just choose a moderate width tie and have it fall to the belt line.

This is not something which need be carefully analyzed. To pay too much attention to such a thing is either a rookie mistake, or an indication that one's OCD medication needs to be tweaked. smile.gif
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Suave View Post

If not for the overly long short end, can we agree that this is on the long side for the front blade?
It's ridiculously long. And the first first 8 words in the sentence of yours which I've quoted can be omitted, as can the final 4 words.

The man should wear a shorter tie. Or maybe wear a different tie knot, although there are enough inches of excess length present that a suitable knot might be silly large - thus simply trading one mistake for another.

Fortunately, getting the typical necktie shortened isn't terribly difficult or ruinously expensive.
post #10 of 16
A or B for me Jay biggrin.gif
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

A or B for me Jay biggrin.gif

Ditto for me Cleav.

Except I notice that none of the pics show a belt-wearer. If you have a substantial tie (I have a couple of beefy woven ones) and wear a belt as I always do, then you're in danger of having a less than optimal bulk of tie and belt buckle pooching out right at a point where you don't want it in the gut area. So my optimum (although I don't own any pleated strides so let's just go with the waist reference point) is for the tie tip to just graze the belt. This is usually doable for me as I'm over six feet but may be a bit more challenging for the vertically challenged unless they are prepared to fold or tuck their rear blade. Exposed rear blades (like that egregious example in the last pic) are the mark of a cad IMO!
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post

Ditto for me Cleav.

Except I notice that none of the pics show a belt-wearer. If you have a substantial tie (I have a couple of beefy woven ones) and wear a belt as I always do, then you're in danger of having a less than optimal bulk of tie and belt buckle pooching out right at a point where you don't want it in the gut area. So my optimum (although I don't own any pleated strides so let's just go with the waist reference point) is for the tie tip to just graze the belt. This is usually doable for me as I'm over six feet but may be a bit more challenging for the vertically challenged unless they are prepared to fold or tuck their rear blade. Exposed rear blades (like that egregious example in the last pic) are the mark of a cad IMO!

A cad indeed mate, I agree entirely nod[1].gif
post #13 of 16
A & B really are the only ones I'd rock....
post #14 of 16

If you watch any films from the 1930s-40s where the high rise trousers are commonplace, you rarely find ties that even touch the waistband. Most times there is a noticeable space between the waistband and the end of the tie. I didn't see any mention of it in this thread, but I think a shorter tie works fine (note this does not mean taking a longer tie and making a larger knot).


Edited by ballmouse - 3/27/16 at 6:20am
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmouse View Post
 

If you watch any films from the 1930s-40s where the high rise trousers are commonplace, you rarely find ties that even touch the waistband. Most times there is a noticeable space between the waistband and the end of the tie. I didn't see any mention of it in this thread, but I think a shorter tie works fine (note this does not mean taking a longer tie and making a larger knot).


Funny you should mention that, I thought of posting these picture of Sean Connery but didn't think it was applicable in modern times

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ties & High Waist Trousers