or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MTM tailor haven't responded when made another request
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MTM tailor haven't responded when made another request

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi guys,

 

I've got a situation on my hands which involves a MTM tailor. Need your quick opinion.

 

I had engaged a MTM tailor in another country for a tuxedo. I knew the risk dealing overseas but hear me out first.

We email corresponded for 2 weeks and waited another 6 weeks for the tuxedo. I got it and it was an amazing product! The fabric and material were to my exact specification. One problem - the jacket was too short. By now, I've made full payment for the tuxedo.

 

So I emailed the MTM tailor the day after acknowledging the good work and admitting that it was my mistake and quickly follow up with a request to make another jacket, without pants, but lengthen the back. 


Okay, by now you might be thinking I'm wasting money just to add a few inches to an otherwise amazing product. The truth is:

 

- I know myself and I know I'll feel better and be more confident with the longer jacket.
- Given the quality and brand, I can easily sell the jacket at 80% value. Tricky as it's a tux but I know how to appeal to fashion forward market.
- I could retain the jacket and loan it to my groom's men for the wedding.

 

It's been three days and the MTM has remained silent. Why? Does he think I'm too fussy? Is he tired after completing a MTM product to do another just to add a few inches to the coat? I don't see what's wrong with my request as after all isn't he going to profit from another order, granted just the jacket.

 

Let me know what ya'll think and how should I approach this.

 

Sincerely Yours,
Donny

post #2 of 12

Relax--it's only been three days. You have offered to pay for an entirely new jacket, correct? If so, hard to see why your tailor wouldn't do it unless you were a difficult customer for the original order. 

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway01 View Post
 

Relax--it's only been three days. You have offered to pay for an entirely new jacket, correct? If so, hard to see why your tailor wouldn't do it unless you were a difficult customer for the original order. 

Certainly I'll pay. I asked for a quote for just the jacket.

 

Concerning difficulty, I might have been a difficult customer because we spent two weeks back and forth emailing on measurement, style, fabric, etc. BUT, in my follow up email I stated 1) to keep everything the same just lengthen the back. 2) since they already have my measurements, I don't see the difficulty now if I had been difficult before.

post #4 of 12

Obviously I was not a party to the back-and-forth between you and your tailor, so I do not want to misinterpret anything.

 

All I can recommend--which I am sure you have already done--is to tell your tailor how much you like the jacket, but because of your error, you are asking whether the jacket can be remade to a longer length, and that of course you will be willing to pay for a new jacket. Sending good photographs of you wearing the jacket (again if you haven't already done so) would be helpful for him to see the issue. Have someone else take the photos in good light. A poor quality photo isn't helpful.

 

Good luck!

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway01 View Post
 

Obviously I was not a party to the back-and-forth between you and your tailor, so I do not want to misinterpret anything.

 

All I can recommend--which I am sure you have already done--is to tell your tailor how much you like the jacket, but because of your error, you are asking whether the jacket can be remade to a longer length, and that of course you will be willing to pay for a new jacket. Sending good photographs of you wearing the jacket (again if you haven't already done so) would be helpful for him to see the issue. Have someone else take the photos in good light. A poor quality photo isn't helpful.

 

Good luck!

That was exactly my approach. I said I was impressed with the jacket. I prefaced saying it was my mistake. Then I asked a quote for another jacket.

 

I'm not a MTM tailor. I just hope it isn't a situation where the tailor spent great effort making a beautiful product for me only to have the customer say "make another one." That clearly isn't the case. It's a case where I have the means and time to want to get everything for this one special event, which is my wedding in Oct.

 

Btw, I wasn't sugar coating when I said I like the jacket. They got everything right, fabric, style, fit less length. I guess I love the jacket so much that I wanted it to be perfect hence my query for a corrected one.

post #6 of 12

@DonnyLee where are you located? - I know a few places that can turn around a custom tuxedo in a time sensitive manner for probably the same price that you currently paid. 

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by seejulius View Post
 

@DonnyLee where are you located? - I know a few places that can turn around a custom tuxedo in a time sensitive manner for probably the same price that you currently paid. 

 

Hi Seejulius,

 

Thank you for the response. It was stated in my earlier reply that my wedding is much later in October. Thus, getting my tuxedo isn't time sensitive. I can wait. If you want to know, I'm in Asia.

 

I really like the styling for this MTM tailor and so I'm waiting for him to get back to making another one with a lengthen back.

 

Thank you.

 

Donny

post #8 of 12
......Just call them?
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

......Just call them?

 

I could. Today will be the fourth day since I emailed them. Let me keep it brief. This is a sample of my email to them.

 

It started with:

 

"I got the tuxedo and tried it on. I am impressed! Everything is to my request. Very good job. Thank you. There's one little issue. Let me first say it's my fault."

 

And then my prompt was:

 

"Would you be able to manufacture another jacket matching exactly the one you just did, in measurements and fabric, but extend the length and proportionately shift the button stance and pockets down? I know it's really going the extra mile but since you already got my measurements, it thought it'll be easy to get the manufacturer to make another jacket, which could also serve as back up."

 

I really don't want to come across as splashing money. I knew of the risk of doing MTM overseas. But I've watched this brand closely and I really like their style. I'm just asking them to repeat the process but just lengthen the back of the coat by about an inch to get me the perfect look. And I'll pay! I also mentioned I can wait as my wedding is in October.

 

For those was are at the seller's end of MTM, did I come across as condescending, fussy, or ungrateful. I hope not!

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

Nvm guys. The MTM tailor just got back to me with a reasonable quote! 

 

I guess I was worrying for nothing. For my wedding in a wool / silk midnight blue tux reminiscent of Skyfall this time with the perfect length, I think I'll do it.

 

Thank you for responding. I'll post the photos complete with the accessories!

post #11 of 12
So who is this tailor please, if you don't mind sharing?

I saw the jacket in the other thread. It's a bit short but to be honest, not so short that I would get another made. If you want a better 'online' opinion it's better to deck yourself out in your whole kit and take photos in decent light. But you're the boss.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobochobo View Post

So who is this tailor please, if you don't mind sharing?

I saw the jacket in the other thread. It's a bit short but to be honest, not so short that I would get another made. If you want a better 'online' opinion it's better to deck yourself out in your whole kit and take photos in decent light. But you're the boss.

Hi chobochobo,

 

Thank you for your opinion. You're in Hong Kong. I'm in Hong Kong too! Okay. When I was considering tuxedo's, this MTM's price was that of Ascot Chang and WW Chan. Those two are top quality. But I asked myself, would I wish for an European product at the same price. Yes. What you think of Ring Jacket? They were a lot more expensive than I anticipated.

 

Anyway, yup. That's me in the other thread. A man's connection with clothes can be casual, it can be sensitive. For me, I know that I'll feel better, if not much better, in a lengthen jacket. So I had to do it. Like I said, it was a risk doing MTM online but it's a small price to pay.

 

Thank you for the contribution. Gosh, I'm really going overboard with the budget but it's still not Kiton, Brioni or Isaia levels. 

 

Sincerely Yours,
Donny

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MTM tailor haven't responded when made another request